Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out the best way to pick this riff. It is very fast, with palm muted notes on the low E string. They are in triplets at a speed of 195 BPM.

Normally with a riff like this i would down pick it all, but it's too fast to down pick, so should i alternate pick everything...or use economy picking? What's the best way?

D--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A--3-----3-----3-----3-----2-----2-----2-----2-----0-----0-----0-----0-----
E----5-5---5-5---5-5---5-5---3-3---3-3---3-3---3-3---1-1---1-1---1-1---1-1-
*All Low E notes are Palm Muted*

For reference, if needed, this is from the song Endless by Unearth.....i believe the second riff in the song. Thanks for any assistance.
hmmm... economy picking wouldnt work very well... id stick to strict alternate picking and work at it.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You should always alternate pick. There should never be a time when you only down pick or up pick. If your not doing that already (which you're obviously not) break the habit now, you will thank yourself later.
I would just down pick it all? Kinda like MOP
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
This is a great excercise for alt picking, actually. So I'd go with that.

EDIT:
Quote by KennethJay
I would just down pick it all? Kinda like MOP

that's like 9,5 nps downpicked! Downpicking at that speed will melt your guitar!
Last edited by wesselbindt at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by wesselbindt
This is a great excercise for alt picking, actually. So I'd go with that.

EDIT:

that's like 9,5 nps downpicked! Downpicking at that speed will melt your guitar!

Or make you sound like sh*t
Quote by Petrucciowns
You should always alternate pick. There should never be a time when you only down pick or up pick. If your not doing that already (which you're obviously not) break the habit now, you will thank yourself later.

Alternate Picking and down (or up) picking have different tones. You can't deny one just because you don't like it. Metallica is mostly downpicking. Downpicking works really well with really fast palm muted power chords.

There's a time and place for everything.
Quote by Petrucciowns

Shut up.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Alternate picking seems the way to go.

Go ahead, try and down pick it all, see what happens lol. I just wanted to make sure i was approaching this in the proper way and not try to learn it incorrectly.
Quote by Petrucciowns

Seriously, no.

You obviously do not understand tonal differences and techniques such as economy, sweep, finger, hybrid and downpicking.
It's a fantastic exercise for alt picking, but to actually play the song I would economy pick as it will give you the smoothest most even and powerful tone. So basically DUD DUD DUD DUD etc