Hey guys. Ive got this old Ibanez and I love its tone to death. I think the old electronics in it maybe outdated and much more likely to create feedback, but I dare not replace these awesome sounding circuits. What can I add to it to make it a bit, less hummy/feedbacky. Ive heard about putting foam around the pickups and in the trem or something like that. Clarification on that and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

was thinking of guitar modifications by the way. Saw a video of Paul Gilbert, apparently Joe Satriani told him to wrap the pickups in foam before installing them to make them quieter and such. Can anyone clarify?

its an ibanez 540r radius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFC48vdIzKE

Not me, but same model, year and finish.

its not white or cream. its a mother of pearl sunburst.

thanks
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Are they properly potted? If not, wax/shellac pot them as per some handy tutorials in the stickies atop this forum!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Are they properly potted? If not, wax/shellac pot them as per some handy tutorials in the stickies atop this forum!

I will DEFINITELY try that. Thanks. That foam thing is still on my mind how does that work? And whats this bout filling the trem cavity with napkins?
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Napkins, well I did that. Cut sustain like a sword, the guitar sounds like a half mute. You need to stuff the gap between the trem block and the body, so it would lock in position. And put foam in your guitar, nearly all foam is sound isolating.
Trem cavity full of napkins? Pickups wrapped in foam?

Neither of those will stop humming or feedback. Potting your pickups will or should reduce feedback as is already mentioned. As for humming, I'd shiled the cavities. If its sounding awesome, I wouldn't want to change too much, but shielding the cavities is quite easy and cuts hum significantly (well, it did on my guitars)

EDIT: Oh and the guys post above is BS. Napkins wouldn't cut your sustain as they are not between the nut/saddle. Also, the foam thing stuffed in your guitar too. Since your guitar is an electric, foam (unless its magnetic or ferrous or something metal. ) will do nothing. None of his "advice" will stop hum or feedback or do anything worthwhile at all (except maybe stop the trem springs vibrating)
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 21, 2009,
Read this and do what it says. Exactly what it says.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
steve vai stuffed the trem cavity on evo with tissues to quieten the spring vibrations when he s wanking the trem maybe thats what your thinking off
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
steve vai stuffed the trem cavity on evo with tissues to quieten the spring vibrations when he s wanking the trem maybe thats what your thinking off

exactly that.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by Skeet UK
Read this and do what it says. Exactly what it says.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Do this!

I've just done this to a $20 Squire Strat that I got off eBay because the electrics were shot. I've shielded the cavities with a copper shielding kits from Stewmacs, and used aluminium foil tape (from Jaycar) for the back of the scratchplate because there wasn't enough copper in the kit.

Then rewired the electrics, removing the dreaded earth loop where the pots are all earthed by the foil on the back of the scratchplate and also joined by soldering wires between their cases.

I'm amazed at how quiet it is...