hey guys, when you're jamming on guitar with another guitarist (or two, or with a bassist, whatever may be the case/s), what's the format? i only really have one jam buddy, and we haven't been trying out improvising much until now.

we've been doing improv jams two different ways - covering a song and trading solos in place of the actual solo in the song, and another format in which the rhythm player sorta "leads" and tries to string together riffs in a song-like way, while the soloist tries to follow.

are there any other fun "ways" to jam? i feel like we've both improved over summer by doing this improv thing, it's great fun.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Harmonizing solo's, or just playing in harmony.
Peace be thy journey
Combined with the second post, that's basically how jamming works. Play more complex chord progressions and rhythms. You can do so much with very little. (Remember, Western music uses 12 notes, and a typical song will only use, for the sake of argument, 9, so you can do a lot with 9 notes.)
okay thanks, i guess i'll have to learn more theory and stuff.

martindecorum, you mean sort of like a conversation thing where you just take short turns?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I will have to get back to you on this, my jam buddy sucks balls at all aspects of music..lol

the best format i've found is either picking a key to play in or finding a chord progression or riff and then someone playing lead over that and switching when the chords or dominant notes change
What genre are you trying to solo in? For Blues/Rock/Jazz, the easiest way by far is to just decide on a key and progression, ie any variation of 12 bar blues, and have the first person 'comp' while the other person solos.