I have a friend who is obsessed with a hardcore band August Burns Red, primarily their drummer Matt Greiner (who is a great drummer I'll admit, but I don't like the band/genre). He basically wants to be him and wants his set up, drum kits, sticks and always brings it up in a chat about music.

What do you think about being so into one musician and thinking of him as a god. My favorite musician is David Gilmour, but in no means do I worship him.

Tl;dr Idolizing musicians, good or bad?

Side note - what do I say to someone who HATES and has no appreciation for bands like The Beatles, Elvis and early rock and roll bands.
I think those people are losers.

Sidenote: You say nothing. Bitch.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i'll idolize your musicians, if you know what i mean.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I used to think Billy Corgan was the epitome of songwriting... then I discovered that other music exists. He's still my favorite artist though.
Balls.
omfg i r OLLIE SYKES

And ignore them and revel in the fact that they're wrong and they don't know it.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Magnifique

Tl;dr Idolizing musicians, good or bad?

Once they don't start you know...stalking them it is fine I guess

Quote by Magnifique

Side note - what do I say to someone who HATES and has no appreciation for bands like The Beatles, Elvis and early rock and roll bands.

Tell the people their impact on music? But most likely you won't make them appreciate them more.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I think it's fine. I've gone through fanboi phases where I've wanted to be Kurt Cobain and John Frusciante. In fact, I still want to be John Frusciante. Hez got lotsa monies
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Zugunruhe
i'll idolize your musicians, if you know what i mean.

You will put a wig on and gain a lot of weight and be an extremely devout christian?

Ok.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Idolization is stupid. Learn what you can from them, enjoy their music and find something more productive to do with your live rather than obsess over some guy/girl you'll likely never meet.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by daytripper75
August Burns Red is from where I live.

They are pretty lame though.

..Is the lead singer Ash Ketchum, by any chance? Or Gary Oak?
Quote by Xiaoxi
You will put a wig on and gain a lot of weight and be an extremely devout christian?

Ok.

you pervert.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by daytripper75
August Burns Red is from where I live.

They are pretty lame though.

Yeah if I said that to me he would give me a 15 minute lecture about how innovative and amazing they are. And that they are creating something so new and divine.

:>
Idolizing a musician can be okay until you take to gastronomic levels, saying that no one's better than him/her, even though you haven't heard anything else in the past months.

Sidenote: People who dislike them because they are "Old" are just idiots. Disliking anything just because it's "Old" is idiotic. But if a person dislikes them because he/her does not like their music, I've got no problem with that.
DeVillains!
Quote by The Shroom420
..Is the lead singer Ash Ketchum, by any chance? Or Gary Oak?

Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

The local venue had a 2 night August Burns Red show a few weeks ago. Probably because it is run by CI Records who released August Burns Red's first EP.
There is nothing wrong with that, Obviously this drummer has changed his life significantly and has some type of communication with him via Music
It isn't bad if it's phases that you go through though. Like if you love the beatles and get a rickenbacker then start loving srv and get a tube screamer and ect. You will get unique sounds.
Quote by Wizzle
There is nothing wrong with that, Obviously this drummer has changed his life significantly and has some type of communication with him via Music

This. But I've been into alot of different musicians very much at different times. Like Jimi Hendrix, Zakk Wylde, Alexi Laiho etc. It's not like i worshipped them like i went to a COB signing and i was just like to alexi dude your a great player, so its cool till an extent where your like "OMG YPOUR ARE GOD OF GODS!!! I WANT YOUR DICK!"
i dont find anything wrong with people idolizing/being strongly influenced by other musicians, unless you dress up and try to look like said person, i.e buying a fedora hat because synsyter gates wears one, but i dont find it wrong to want to play like another musician
GO BRAVES
I look up to a lot of guitar players and model my music after theirs, but I don't necessarily idolize them. Yes I think they're awesome, but they're just people too. They're just unbelievably good at what they do. No need to worship them.
I don't have a sig. Or an avatar.
I probably worship Coheed a little...
I have all the side projects and comics and stuff, but I think thats just getting into everything they have to offer.
...In my opinion.
Dallas Green <3
iluvhim
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
I have three idols, none of which are musicians.

'cept maybe Paul Masvidal... but I don't really idolize him. =/