Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any info about radar detectors...

I am interested in getting one for a long trip, but I would like to know:

How reliable are they?

How exactly do you operate one? Does it just beep if it picks up a radio signal from the police?

What is the best one for the price? I think I'll probably be going to a best buy because I don't have time to order one online...

Thanks in advance for your help!
I got one. I got the really nice one that picks up every signal there is. It was like $500 though. My mom's ex boyfriend had a really cool one that told you where the signal was coming from. Mine's saved me and family members from a lot of tickets. My dad refuses to go on a drive that's longer than an hour without one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, I have a 7 hour drive ahead of me on Saturday, and I'm trying to cut it down by a good amount... Haha
They're illegal unless you work for the county or something. My dad has one but he's a storm chaser,works for homeland security and fema and ****.

Edit: It's on a radio he has. If they have a radar gun pointed at you a red light on it turns on and if they get really close it starts beeping.
Last edited by i_killed_bill at Aug 21, 2009,
They're not illegal in Texas as far as I know. They are in some places though, you just have to make sure to actually use it in those places.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yes they're illegal. But the point is that they wont find out you have one, because you wont get pulled over, because you weren't speeding, because you had a nifty device that told you where the cops had their radars out at.
What about a Radar detector detector detector...?!!

But I'm going to be in a state where they are legal...
Last edited by wamguy89 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by wamguy89

I see a paradox here...
Quote by wamguy89

Well if you want a good one you're probably lookin at $200+
Nevermind about the $200 thing I was thinking like full radios. It seems like either of those would work well. I'd most likely say the amazon one based on the reviews
^ That's the one I used to have. It worked fine but I decided to upgrade.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ah, I see... Well I think I'm going to go with one of those or something in that price range from Best Buy when I go on Saturday... Hopefully it will help me get there more quickly!
You should just go at the speed limit like a good boy
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by tobysaurus
You should just go at the speed limit like a good boy

If he goes a whole 10 mph faster, he will cut off an hour of driving.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by rmr024
what shenanigans are you up to

Lawl. Perfect choice of words.
GO WINGS GO
Radar detectors are only illegal in a handful of states. However, many states have rules against attaching devices/accessories to your windshield, whether it be a GPS, radar detector, etc.

There's two type of speed detection that cops use -- radar and LIDAR (also known as laser). Many detectors on the market have both radar and LIDAR detection built in to them.

The difference between radar and LIDAR technology is that LIDAR uses a light beam to get an exact speed on a specific vehicle; radar uses a kind of "flashlight" effect that scans several cars at once, and the cop picks out the fastest moving one. With a radar gun, because of the wide beam, there is a lot of "spillover" -- a good amount of the emitted signal doesn't hit a target and goes further down the road than is useful to the cop. With LIDAR, however, there is no spillover unless the cop is trying to tag a vehicle that's really far away. Which leads me to my next point...

LIDAR detectors are worthless. The only thing they're good for is warning you that you're going to get a ticket. Radar detectors, on the other hand, can be very useful. The problem is, however, that many common items such as car alarm remotes and garage door openers use the same bands as some police radar, so you can get many false positives. And forget about radar jammers. They're a violation of federal law and a felony if you get caught with one.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Gyroscope

So you'd want to spend loads of money on a radar detector just to shave off one hour of driving?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by Gyroscope

I've sped by many a cop going just 10-15mph over... they're not sitting out there for the small time speeds... they're looking for the people going 90-100mph... just pop on the cruise control at 75mph, you'll shave more than an hour off and with the cruise on you can just sit back and relax
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Gentlemen, we must create... the radar detector detector DETECTOR!!!!!

Been done, they're usually integrated into a radar detector so that when it picks up the radar, it goes off, then the radar detector detector picks up the signal left over from the radar detector.

The radar detector detector detector then picks up the signal let out from the radar detector detector and shuts off your radar detector, so you don't get caught.

Make sense?
Quote by tobysaurus
So you'd want to spend loads of money on a radar detector just to shave off one hour of driving?

No. If was going to invest in a radar detector, I'd be going more like 85-90, which cuts off about two and a half hours.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Your attempts at detection are futile when radar pigeon is about
aka, Possum Head on /b
Quote by JohnnoEH
Been done, they're usually integrated into a radar detector so that when it picks up the radar, it goes off, then the radar detector detector picks up the signal left over from the radar detector.

The radar detector detector detector then picks up the signal let out from the radar detector detector and shuts off your radar detector, so you don't get caught.

Make sense?

No.

Lol.

ಠ_ಠ

wat