Hi everybody

I have a dilemma with the pickups. I need hight output humbucker in the bridge and something to match it at neck, here's my gear:

epiphone les paul ultra 2
Tech21 Trademark60

So I was looking at the DiMarzio Super distortion, but on an official site it says that it's like for the solid body guitar, like it woun't play that good in a chambered body, so now I'm confused what pickup would do good for my chabmered guitar.

The music I play is hardrock (I guess, you can check my signature for the type of music, recorded with the tech21 amp and some ****ty strat with selfmade humbucker)

For now I was looking at:
SD Hot rodded pickups
SD Invader
SD Duncan Distortion
Gibson 490R 498T (or 496R 500T would be a little bit hotter I suppose)
Gibson Dirty Fingers
EMGs too expensive

Thanks for help
Cheers
My Band
ESP Eclipse II ACSB SD Jazz/JB
Bugera 6262 head
Benor 4x12 Celestion 12T-75
Last edited by ebuprofen at Aug 21, 2009,
Well, because I like the sound of it, it seems to me that the stock bridge pickup is a little bit weak, thats why I want to change it to have more aggressive, juicy sound and have more gain.
I was only thinking of changing the bridge pickup for now, but i f I find a good deal, then why not to swap both of the pickups.
Or the answer to my question would be "get a good amp, you wount see the difference in pickup swapping"?
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
I just think that you've got a decent setup for what you play. Don't really see the need for high output pickups.

A lot can probably done for the "weak" sound at the amp level, or at least without buying anything.

Have you tried raising the bridge pickup's height?

BTW, i'd stay away from the Invader, cause it sucks, and I wouldn't buy Gibson, because they're overpriced.
no I haven't tried the pickup height, it was as it cam from the shop, standart height i guess.

the thing is, I bought a cheap humbucker named Artec with Alnico V magnets and ~17ohm of dc resistance and even this pickup has much more punch and lows (and gain) and sounds better than the epi ones, but not as clean, so that's another reason why I would change the bridge pickup.
I would buy this pickup for my epi, but like I said it's not that clean, a little bit muddy
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
17 dcr is pretty huge.

If you really want something that has better cleans, but sounds bigger, I think that a Seymour Duncan SH-14 would sound great in your LP.

Try raising the pickup height first, though. It really helps make the pickup sound hotter. Raise the bass side of the pickup to make it sound beefier.
Ok, I'll try that, thanks for the advice man

I looked at the sd site and came up with these pickups, what would be your choice and would you say about the others?

comparetones
what doeas EQ means is it how you shoud setup your amp or the responce of pickups?
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
ok, thanks a lot forsaknazrael, I'm thinking of buying sh-15 then

but the chambered body woun't have any negative side with this pickup?
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
Last edited by ebuprofen at Aug 23, 2009,
what about GFS pickups? they are like 2 times cheaper
My Band
Bugera 6262 head
I'd say the SH-14 is the way to go... The full shred is apparently really bright (could probably be toned down with a magnet swap), and the Alt8 just plain doesn't do cleans (it's like a warmer, chunkier Duncan Distortion).
Dimebucker is a no no, very harsh and brittle. Funny thing is the cleans aren't actually that bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ouukeeeeeey, and the final question, sh-14 and distortion, whos better?

I suppose you will answer sh-14, but still
My Band
Bugera 6262 head