I've recently moved to 12's in standard on my epi G-400.Only problem is,I'm not sure my neck can take it.I have tried to make a few minor truss rod adjusments,however being no expert they haven't really countered the tension much.The guitar will be going to a pro luthier next week for a full set-up,but I'm still not sure if the neck can handle the tension.
Opinions or experiences?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It will handle it in the sence that it won't break or anything but it probably won't play well at all if your that worried down tune it like a whole step
Normally you would want to drop tune with these thicker gauges but it's perfectly fine playing them on standard. Many people are even using 13 and upward on guitars with thinner neck.

However, if your truss rod can't seem to handle more than that I suggest you not to. It might break if you force it while doing adjustment with the Allen wrench.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Aug 21, 2009,
As long as you get the guitar set up for it properly it should handle it just fine. Stevie Ray Vaughan used to use 13s in Eb all the time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've used .013's in standard (I went to .012's for the moment), in Standard tuning and the neck can handle it no problem. I used one truss rod adjustment, and everything was fine.
Once the luthier/tech takes a look at it, I'm sure it will work itself out.
superman is killing himself tonight
What is the advantage of using such heavy strings tuned standard? String tension would not be acceptable imo. I was taught back in the day, adjust your string size to your tuning, the lower the bigger...all in the name of keeping your string tension in check. Am I missing out on a cool trick?
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by Baraga
Everytime you change your string gauge, you need to adjust your truss rod

Um, no. You need to adjust your truss rod when the neck is bowing. That usually happens when you change gauges, but it happen with changes of humidity and whatnot.
Also, I went from .013's to .012's and didn't need to adjust the truss rod. I did when I went from .010's to .013's though... :p

Quote by miketheslut
What is the advantage of using such heavy strings tuned standard? String tension would not be acceptable imo. I was taught back in the day, adjust your string size to your tuning, the lower the bigger...all in the name of keeping your string tension in check. Am I missing out on a cool trick?

I do it for several reasons
1: Thicker strings provide more tone.
2: Thicker strings are less susceptible to magentic pull, therefor sustain longer (Not quite sure if that's true or not, just an assumption I've made).
3: Thinner strings hurt my fingers
4: Thicker strings help me to build my finger strength.

Mainly its just personal preference. My guitar neck hasn't snapped yet, so it should be fine really. :/
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
Um, no. You need to adjust your truss rod when the neck is bowing. That usually happens when you change gauges, but it happen with changes of humidity and whatnot.
Also, I went from .013's to .012's and didn't need to adjust the truss rod. I did when I went from .010's to .013's though... :p

I do it for several reasons
1: Thicker strings provide more tone.
2: Thicker strings are less susceptible to magentic pull, therefor sustain longer (Not quite sure if that's true or not, just an assumption I've made).
3: Thinner strings hurt my fingers
4: Thicker strings help me to build my finger strength.

Mainly its just personal preference. My guitar neck hasn't snapped yet, so it should be fine really. :/

when i meant "everytime", i didnt want to say every gauge, sometimes you dont need to adjust the truss rod. Ive changed my strig gauge from 9 to 11 on my cort vx2v, and i didnt need to adjust the truss rod, since i didnt see it bowing
Quote by miketheslut

Why isn't tension acceptable?
Since they have more tension they vibrate differently allowing for lower action.
Personally I don't like the feel of thin strigns with little tension.
My dad uses 09s on his LP and that's mostly why I don't play it.

Other than that, I think Baby Joel has pretty much got it.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Why isn't tension acceptable?

Too much tension makes bending considerably harder.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^Which is why I use that to build my finger strength.
I can now manage to bend three semi-tones up on a .013 string, anywhere above the twelfth fret. for instance, in 'Curse of the Castle Dragon' Paul Gilbert does some pretty big bends in there, including one from fret 17, up to a C sharp (21 fret). Imagine what I can do on .010? Although the strings usually break at that point on a thinner string. :p