I am in full wtf mode at this point. I just installed a SD SH-4/SH-2 combo in my Paul, and the signal is extremely weak. I wired it exactly as the diagram showed, and I have checked for possible shorts and everything seems in order. I just spent 4 hours on this and I'm about ready to snap the entire guitar over my knee.

Could it be a bad toggle switch? Bad pots? The switch and pots perform like they're supposed to, I just have an unbelievably weak signal coming out of my amp. It is completely unusable.

Someone help!
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Have you tried the guitar in any other amp?

Maybe the solder points aren't well done... Even the cable you're using may cause that.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
If you've checked for possible shorts and made sure it's wired up correctly, then it's likely the cable. It's highly unlikely that it's the pickup set or pots. My guess would be you didn't do something right and haven't caught it yet but a bad switch is also possible, I've had one on my SG that screwed up the signal sometimes and sent a signal that the clean channel didn't pick up and that the dirty channel just barely picked up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yes!!!! That's exactly what its doing. The clean channel doesn't pick it up and the lead channel barely does.
It sounds like something got switched, SD diagrams have given me this little problem before so try to calm down..

Maybe post a picture of what you have going if it's at all possible, otherwise just try to ignore the diagram and work through the signal path in your head. Follow the hot signal path from the pickup into the jack.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Eh a picture wouldn't do much good cuz its a mess of wires in there, and most are the same color. The guitar was originally wired for single conductor pickups.
Oh there is some room for error if you're coil splitting; maybe a link to the diagram?
I have followed SD diagrams before only to find out that one or two wires are out of place.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
No coil splitting. Just the green and bare wires to volume, black to middle post, white and red stubbed out. I'm on a blackberry right now so I can't post the link, but I've seen it on SD's website. The diagram came with the pickups.
so white and read are wired together and taped off yes?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The black (hot) goes on the end post, the end post is the hot path. The middle goes to the switch. The other end should be grounded.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
That's your problem then, you haven't wired the two coils together.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
so white and read are wired together and taped off yes?

You sir, are the gold plated sh1t! I wire them together, and the guitar roared to life. Thanks everybody for taking the time to troubleshoot this with me! Makes me feel bad about being an opinionated ass the rest of the time I'm on here.
Hapy days lol.

You were just running on one coil before, hence the low signal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Okay so I got to tinker with it a little bit more today, as I couldn't crank my amp last night because it was 3am. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. The pickups aren't as punchy as I'd hoped, and the SH-4 doesn't seem as hot as the 498T that was originally there. Maybe if I soldered the white and red wires together it'd provide a stronger connection and a better signal? Right now they're just twisted together and taped back. I dunno, they're just not as hot or lowended as I'd expected, even from relatively low-output pickups. Maybe my connections aren't optimal. I removed the single conductor wire from the jack and put two individual wires on it, like the diagram showed. As it's probably very obvious, I'm a noob to pickup installations, but I know enough about soldering to get it done without frying anything. Any help is appreciated.

As of right now, the stock Inf3 and Inf4 pickups in my Ibanez are more ballsy than these pups.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 21, 2009,
how is the height with the pickups? are they close or far from the strings?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
yea thats not right my sh-4 is super punchy and hot, try re-soldering that pickup maybe an air pocket in the solder?
~Defiant~
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Okay so I got to tinker with it a little bit more today, as I couldn't crank my amp last night because it was 3am. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. The pickups aren't as punchy as I'd hoped, and the SH-4 doesn't seem as hot as the 498T that was originally there. Maybe if I soldered the white and red wires together it'd provide a stronger connection and a better signal? Right now they're just twisted together and taped back. I dunno, they're just not as hot or lowended as I'd expected, even from relatively low-output pickups. Maybe my connections aren't optimal. I removed the single conductor wire from the jack and put two individual wires on it, like the diagram showed. As it's probably very obvious, I'm a noob to pickup installations, but I know enough about soldering to get it done without frying anything. Any help is appreciated.

As of right now, the stock Inf3 and Inf4 pickups in my Ibanez are more ballsy than these pups.

Yes, the wires should definitely be soldered together, not just twisted.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by rewiring the jack, you shouldn't have had to touch the jack socket.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Yes, the wires should definitely be soldered together, not just twisted.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by rewiring the jack, you shouldn't have had to touch the jack socket.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have, but at the point I was at, I rewired it according to the diagram out of desperation for it to work. lol. The original way it was wired was a single conductor braid wire was run from both the hot and the ground posts to a dual terminal point in the middle of the pot assembly, where the hot from the selector switch was also connected.
I got the pickups squared away. I must say they are great in clarity and tone, but they, the SH-4 especially, wasn't as hot as I'd hoped. I was able to compensate by cranking the gain and mid on my lead channel to 7, which rendered a frickin' br00tal, thick distortion that is unlike anything I've heard, which is good. It seems the relatively low output of the pickups allows me to crank the gain up more without the fizz and loss of articulation that level usually brings.

So these pickups, for the setup I have, are great for either cleaner stuff and AC/DC crunch, or just all out head ripping distortion. Not really much of an in-between.
Yup, that's pretty much how it is with a lot of high-output pickups...it's easy to boost a weak signal coming from the guitar, it's impossible to attenuate one that's too hot though.

The JB should be very responsive so it should be easy to get the amp to clean up by pickung softer, also with hot pickups the guitar volume knob is your best friend.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm actually contemplating pulling the sh-4 and putting the 498T back in, as it was a bit hotter. But The 498 isn't as harmonically sensitive in some ways, interestingly enough. The sh-4 has a way of bringing through notes and sounds you wouldn't expect from a relatively low gain setting. One test I do is seeing how low I can get the gain before pinch harmonics aren't possible. These pickups did well despite lack of output like I'm used to from the inf4 on my ibanez.