I've got an old Epiphone G-400 laying around; it's got a snapped headstock that's clean and repairable.

I've got the most psychedelic, tripped out paint job planned, but I need some thoughts/comments.

I'm going to replace the stock "pickups" with some Seymour Duncan Antiquities or some of those SD Alnico IIs (gotta love that PAF sound, eh?)

I'm also looking to do some re-wiring. I'd like to keep it simple with one volume knob, and two tone knobs. so, with that fourth one open, is it possible to wire some sort of out-of-phase switch (assuming humbucker even can, my knowledge there is VERY limited) for the two pickups? maybe like, a left-to-right turning switch?

So, this whole project boils down to a total of more than 450 dollars, basically; and that's without replacing the speaker in my vox combo and buying a new amp set(last priority) and possibly purchasing an Analog Man Sunface/Beano Boost/Wah shell chorus pedal/and a decent wah (another setup that'd run another 450-700 dollars).

The guitar comes first, obviously, so my big, $1,000,000 question is;

Is an Epiphone really worth all this trouble? I'm certain that if I waited, and shelled out the for a gibson in the future, I'd just do this same work anyway. Are there any tonal improvements that can be done with my electrical wiring? Things like that.

Thanks for the time.
well messing with the electronics and paintjob etc. of a real gibson would be a bit absurd
but on an epiphone it doesn;t matter if yo udestroy it in the process
Quote by Flipaningage
well messing with the electronics and paintjob etc. of a real gibson would be a bit absurd
but on an epiphone it doesn;t matter if yo udestroy it in the process

Absurd? dunno about that, do what you want can't you, If you dont like the way it is and know how change it, change it.

I doubt you could make a noticable difference in tone through wiring.
But you can through pickups obviously, also which hardware you have on the guitar.

Overall a Gibson would be better quality, but epiphones arn't that bad, plus theyre like a tenth of the price.

Unless i got it really cheap I'd refuse to ever buy a Gibson just cos the price tags are so ridiculous and there is no way that the materials and assembly is worth that much money.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.