Page 1 of 2
When I get my own computer, I am going to totally erase all genres from all my songs on iTunes. I believe music was never supposed to be classified and sorted into 'styles'. It gives the wrong idea of music and keeps your music preferences narrow.

Currently, with lots of music, it is unclear whether a specific band or song is either one of two (or more) genres. In modern music, the line between Rock and Metal styles is being constantly blurred; often it is no longer clear what is Rock and what is Metal. With the number of progressive and alternative bands nowadays, this can totally throw out one's view on what is what style. A lot of bands are stretching and distorting the style of music they play, leaving the classification of music redundant. Just in UG, I find it pretty stupid that you have to post threads about specific bands in their appropriate genre forum, because often it is unclear what genre you should be posting in.

Classifying music will often make you biased against a certain band that is popularly listed as a certain style, keeping you preferring one particular style of music, and not listening to any others. To have a broad music preference, it helps to ignore how people 'classify' music and decide for yourself what you like or don't like, rather than letting classifications decide for you.

Genres ruin the musical experience. They make you narrow minded, biased, and that is not what music is about. Even classifications such as 'Mainstream', 'Alternative', and 'Progressive' are unnecessary. You do not say 'I don't like [band name] because they are a [genre] band'. You say 'I don't like [band name] because [whatever reason]. I do not have a favourite genre. I like whatever I like, and do not pay attention to the genre.

You don't classify music. You listen to it.
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Aug 21, 2009,
When peple genre bands with loads of different sub genres it really pisses me off
and then loads of people argue about it, which is really sad =\
im just like piss off i dont care, i like the band :P
NEWCASTLE

UNITED!

My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-401QMNT
Marshall AVT150H
Peavey Valve King Cab
I feel you dude. Today, at school, my friend Eddie (who's kind of a emo douchbag) recommended me this one band. I had never heard of them and the EXACT quote was "Oh, yeah dude, you'll totally like them. They're pig smudgecore man and they're badass."

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Are we supposed to care?
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
very true, good point... I'm actually a follower of that way of thinking. But, just thought I'd mention it, this is more blog material than something to make a thread about.

EDIT: thinking a bit more, I've heard of genres called Viking Metal or War Metal and even Beer Metal... What's the friggin use of it, come on, just make the music you want, don't put yourself in a box and if people don't like your music, too bad for them
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Last edited by poipoi at Aug 21, 2009,
You're right, man. Especially now with the true metal against metalcore discussions I am really starting to dislike all those specific genres.
I think I agree, although I usually like metal bands more often, so if someone tells me to check out a metal band I'll do it, but a lot of indie stuff I've heard I don't like, so if someone tells me to check out an indie band, I'll still do it but I probably won't check them out so much

Although, a lot of a people won't listen to a band just because they're a certain genre of music, & that does piss me off.
But for me, I don't restrict myself from listening to a band just because they're not from a genre I'd usually listen to.
When I list bands I like to people I meet I'm usually like "Children of Bodom, Arkaea, Fear Factory, Daath, Megadeath, Machine Head, Meshuggah, Paramore..." & they don't really understand how that can happen!
Quote by 1nSingularity

Genres ruin the musical experience. They make you narrow minded, biased, and that is not what music is about.

I'd argue your pretentious dismissal of them makes you narrow minded. Not in terms of what music you like but in terms of how well you can understand a song or an album in context.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I feel the same way about classifying animals. I'm always talking to people and they can't believe I like some reptiles and some mammals. I don't mention how I feel about birds, that'd blow their minds.
Quote by 1nSingularity

Genres ruin the musical experience. They make you narrow minded, biased, and that is not what music is about. Even classifications such as 'Mainstream', 'Alternative', and 'Progressive' are unnecessary. You do not say 'I don't like [band name] because they are a [genre] band'. You say 'I don't like [band name] because [whatever reason]. I do not have a favourite genre. I like whatever I like, and do not pay attention to the genre.

Music classification is useful on a general level so that you can identify similarities between certain musicians.

If you're narrow minded and dont listen to music because it's a certain genre it's not the genre's fault, it's yours for being an idiot.
Quote by Baby Strange
Music classification is useful on a general level so that you can identify similarities between certain musicians.

If you're narrow minded and dont listen to music because it's a certain genre it's not the genre's fault, it's yours for being an idiot.
True. But I think similarities between certain musicians should be identified by yourself, by you listening to their music.
I agree, dude, but there's no stopping it. It's just mindless human nature to classify things. Like, what's the difference between a dog and a wolf? Try to pet 'em and one might bite you and one probably will and that's about as distinct as it gets.Like, musicians would have more freedom in experimenting if they weren't branded by a genere.
Last edited by Sickhick at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by 1nSingularity
True. But I think similarities between certain musicians should be identified by yourself, by you listening to their music.

Yup. And genres put that into words.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
It's natural that people would want to classify some base sounds as different "genres," just to make it more communicable when talking about them, but I can't stand it when Pitchfork or the NME or whoever create these absolutely shit pigeonhole sub-sub genres that sound like they came from a VCR manual.
I think genres are useful for finding other bands that are similar to bands that you like. However it often gets a bit too far with the specifics for some genres.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
lol lol lol...pwnt.

What if someone asks me what type of music something is? What the hell do I tell them?

It's just classification, deal with it. It's not complicated

I can see how it can be annoying if you can't put a band into a genre, or the genre name gets ridiculous...but eliminating all genres just seems like music would be a big mess, like The Locust.
I love genre labels. It tells me about bands before I listen to them. If I hear a genre name I haven't heard before I look it up.

However, I hate misuse of these labels (BrokenCYDE=/=Screamo. Brokencyde =****.)
^I agree with the misuse of labels. The most annoying ones are emo and screamo and hardcore. Most people I know call metalcore bands hardcore and anything with screaming vocals screamo.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
I disagree. And this proves it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles
http://rateyourmusic.com/rgenre/

So much variety of music that could never be explored if all music was just labeled "music". I love all the sub-genres and such. It must mean music is progressing since new labels have to come up. I think the easy solution for someone fed up with all the genres is to just label all your music very general labels. Like rock, jazz, hip-hop, electronic, classical, etc... From there you can seperate them into smaller categories if you want to. Whatever the case, I love a variety of music and don't think I could have ever found a lot of it if it wasn't categorized by some people. Just like I like platformer games and not too keen on rpgs. That "platformer" label helps me find games I'm more likely to enjoy. Also, I can always break away and play a rpg when I want to try to appreciate the genre more.
Getting ticked off is a good indicator to explore something unsettled within your own consciousness.
bands round me like to make their own genres up... like

some kid said to me '' my bands Indie-pop-punk-golden-emo hardcore lyykkk''... WTF?

it was Pop punk with depressing lyrics ...
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Aug 27, 2009,
I agree with the general idea I see here. Correct me if I am wrong, but most people here seem to agree that genres can help one find new music, but is just plain annoying when people only listen to a genre. Honestly, most people like a variety of genres. And this is coming from someone whose favorite bands include Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Creedence Clearwater Revival. It is also annoying is when they create a new genre for every band.
you're right, when i listen to a song i don't care the genre but i try to figure out the bands that influenced this guys and what elements are they using in each song.
at the end rock is rock no matter what "style" of rock it is. this has been very helpful for me 'cause now i listen from Bach to The Kooks, passing through metal, punk, jazz, rockabilly, classical, indie and those names they invented
I think genres are important because, well, we are humans and we LOVE to classify stuff. But I really dislike some of the genres especially INDIE. I'm a big fan of indie music but this genre designation is used too broadly. Technically it means an artist is on an independent label which is not part of the RIAA but people also use this to describe a sound artists have which I personally feel is incorrect. Also, the indie designation really says nothing about an artist. Take Beirut for instance. This dude jumps around to old world music styles and brings new life to them like he did in the Gulag Orkestar album. He's usually designated Indie. Says nothing about what he does!

Ok, done with that rant
I think the reason for making so much genres are just for the definition of a band that wants to perform. I mean that every single time I wanted to organize a concert for my band, the clubs always asked at first: what kinda music do we play? And I had to come up with something like "some thrashier-heavier-powerish-rock-metal-stuff ..."... and I am not nearing the thing we really play....
Quote by duncang
I'd argue your pretentious dismissal of them makes you narrow minded. Not in terms of what music you like but in terms of how well you can understand a song or an album in context.

Just take a look at the Nu Metal forum. Thread after thread about whether this band or that band qualify as Nu Metal, and as such, are worth listening to. Same with every other genre discussion I see. "Oh that's Death Metal, I don't like that but I like Shred," saying you don't like genres in general but would rather just listen to it all as music doesn't seem to discriminate certain genres when you think about it.
Quote by 1nSingularity
In modern music, the line between Rock and Metal styles is being constantly blurred; often it is no longer clear what is Rock and what is Metal.

Yeah, screw that.

Genres exist because different groups don't want to be assimilated into the lowest common denominator.

Metal is full of people who don't want to become just another form of rock.

If you standardize everything, soon it becomes all very boring.

Genres help us keep track of how these different movements sound.
Two words.. 'Happy Hardcore'

The type of "music" created by morons for the criminally stupid and tone deaf
@dbostwick
Quote by 1nSingularity
It gives the wrong idea of music and keeps your music preferences narrow.
Why? Because you are narrow minded person yourself. I love genres. Okay, WMP and iTunes may label them oddly at times, but in general having a genre tags what you are listening to. It helps people recognize a part of you. It helps you recognize yourself.
Currently, with lots of music, it is unclear whether a specific band or song is either one of two (or more) genres. In modern music, the line between Rock and Metal styles is being constantly blurred; often it is no longer clear what is Rock and what is Metal. With the number of progressive and alternative bands nowadays, this can totally throw out one's view on what is what style. A lot of bands are stretching and distorting the style of music they play, leaving the classification of music redundant. Just in UG, I find it pretty stupid that you have to post threads about specific bands in their appropriate genre forum, because often it is unclear what genre you should be posting in.
Ask someone who knows then. Although, I agree that the lines of genres are becoming more blurred as time progresses. I'm fine either way; music is still music, it will always be here. And I will always love it, genre or no genre. Narrow-minded listeners/writers who open-minded ones.
Classifying music will often make you biased against a certain band that is popularly listed as a certain style, keeping you preferring one particular style of music, and not listening to any others. To have a broad music preference, it helps to ignore how people 'classify' music and decide for yourself what you like or don't like, rather than letting classifications decide for you.
Why are you letting these classifications determine what you should and shouldn't be listening to? They are there for a reason: to help people understand where they are in the stream of music browsing, not to tell you what you should be listening. The only reason why you're saying this is because you are letting them influence your listening habits. It's the same with the Amazon, Recommended for You, thing. People winge and whine about it, saying it's making their mind up for you. You're the one with the credit card, mate. Just don't buy the fucking thing.

No they don't. Simply put.

It sounds to me like you're trying to come across as one of those "I love every kind of music. You're all dogmatic and closed-up because you don't listen to every variation of music. I'm better than you because I'm angry at you for being so shallow."

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Why? Because you are narrow minded person yourself. I love genres. Okay, WMP and iTunes may label them oddly at times, but in general having a genre tags what you are listening to. It helps people recognize a part of you. It helps you recognize yourself.
Ask someone who knows then. Although, I agree that the lines of genres are becoming more blurred as time progresses. I'm fine either way; music is still music, it will always be here. And I will always love it, genre or no genre. Narrow-minded listeners/writers who open-minded ones.
Why are you letting these classifications determine what you should and shouldn't be listening to? They are there for a reason: to help people understand where they are in the stream of music browsing, not to tell you what you should be listening. The only reason why you're saying this is because you are letting them influence your listening habits. It's the same with the Amazon, Recommended for You, thing. People winge and whine about it, saying it's making their mind up for you. You're the one with the credit card, mate. Just don't buy the fucking thing.
No they don't. Simply put.

It sounds to me like you're trying to come across as one of those "I love every kind of music. You're all dogmatic and closed-up because you don't listen to every variation of music. I'm better than you because I'm angry at you for being so shallow."

It seems that you have never heard of the word 'opinion'. Look it up sometime
Probably been said already, but it is needed so you can find other similar bands to ones you enjoy. Imagine hearing for instance, Slayer and loving their music but couldn't find any other similar music because the most prevalent stuff everywhere was what we call pop/rock and there was no way of telling whether a band was going to be similar. Yes I know I could have chosen a more obscure band/genre.
I'm not going to argue with you because the thread will be closed if I do, but I'm just going to point that I don't believe this has any real relevance towards opinions. You are letting these classifications control your listening habits. That's all I was saying. And, of course, that maybe you are one of those *rant at the end of previous post* kind of people because I see so many of them. You spoke in factual ways...I didn't once feel an opinionated discussion, more a barrage of insults towards people who like genres.

But, then again, I could just be an illiterate zombie who is unaware of what an opinion is?

Anyway, I'm not discussing this with someone who isn't willing to discuss.

Toodles noodles.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Tomo009
Probably been said already, but it is needed so you can find other similar bands to ones you enjoy. Imagine hearing for instance, Slayer and loving their music but couldn't find any other similar music because the most prevalent stuff everywhere was what we call pop/rock and there was no way of telling whether a band was going to be similar. Yes I know I could have chosen a more obscure band/genre.

Personally, I have never found this to work.
Let me give an example so you can see what I'm saying.

I listen to a lot of Paul Gilbert so once in a while I go out looking for other music by looking at the all of the different genres of his music. We've got 'Shred', 'Instrumental Rock', 'Metal', and 'Heavy Metal' (and some 'Pop' but that doesn't count). So judging by this, Steve Vai should be a pretty good match.
So I listen to some Vai on youtube. 'Hey The Attitude Song is pretty good' I found some more.
Yuck.
There's something about Steve Vai's music that just doesn't click with me - maybe it's the phrasing or his tone or something little like that, but I just don't like the guy's music. There's more to it than that I guess, I like The Attitude Song and I like the stuff he did with Zappa but the rest just doesn't do it for me.
(inb4coolblogbro)

If we have to classify music, maybe a better way would be to use influences?
Page 1 of 2