Page 1 of 3
I have a question for/about vegetarians. I do not intend this to sound like spam, this is a serious question, I just have no-one else to ask.

Do vegetarians swat insects?

If Yes
, why is it acceptable to kill an animal just for personal comfort, but not acceptable to feed an animal and then kill it for food? Where do you draw the line?

If No, how do you get rid of mosquitoes? The cup method is the least harmful way, but it's rather impractical or even impossible to use on mosquitoes and flies.

And another question: do you eat honey?

Thanks in advance to those who take this seriously.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 21, 2009,
My vegetarian friend killed a nest of spiders that were in my room.

Thank god she was there. I think I may have fainted if they were left there.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by el-ECTRO
My vegetarian friend killed a nest of spiders that were in my room.

Where the hell do you live, Fangorn Forest?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Where the hell do you live, Fangorn Forest?

I was away for a week, and my parents kept my window open half the time. I dunno where they came from but they must have snuck in then.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Well I think there's a difference between tiny pests and larger farm animals than provide humans with milk and dairy products, etc. You say it's killing for personal comfort but it's not like they're slaughtering a pig or cow because it's annoying them.

I'm not a vegetarian, for the record.
the insects annoy me and that's just nature they had a good life until they met me.
But the cows and other animals you eat live to die they are held in captivitie until they die .
Man breeds them for no other purpose than to kill them and eat them and that's cruel.

that's the difference for me atleast.
Quote by CoreysMonster
seeing the thread title in german was very irritating.

Changed.

Why was it irritating? Was my grammar wrong?
EDIT: ****, I can't change the thread name, only the title in the first post. Sorry you had to deal with it.
Vegetarians can eat honey as it isn't actual animals. Did you mean vegans when you asked that?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Well I think there's a difference between tiny pests and larger farm animals than provide humans with milk and dairy products, etc. You say it's killing for personal comfort but it's not like they're slaughtering a pig or cow because it's annoying them.

I'm not a vegetarian, for the record.

What about rats? They're mammals, and yet they're unwanted and they spread disease. Nobody wants a rat in their house. Would a vegetarian set up a rat trap?
Quote by Waffleguy
the insects annoy me and that's just nature they had a good life until they met me.
But the cows and other animals you eat live to die they are held in captivitie until they die .
Man breeds them for no other purpose than to kill them and eat them and that's cruel.

So if you were attacked by a bear and you had a gun, you would kill it?
Quote by Ed Hunter
Vegetarians can eat honey as it isn't actual animals. Did you mean vegans when you asked that?

Yes. I get confused between the different kinds of herbivores.
Quote by Waffleguy

Man breeds vast quantities of apples, pears, peas, beans, poatoes, bananas etc etc etc. Why does nobody ever feel sorry for them?
Quote by sashki
So if you were attacked by a bear and you had a gun, you would kill it?

Yes

Quote by JackalUK
Man breeds vast quantities of apples, pears, peas, beans, poatoes, bananas etc etc etc. Why does nobody ever feel sorry for them?

Because they dont have feelings I guess and they are not held in a small cage like some animals the trees and fruit just grow outdoors like they normally do (except for the pesticides and fertilizer ).
Last edited by Waffleguy at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by JackalUK

I do
RULE BRITANNIA
"Vegetarian" is and Indian word and means "too stupid to hunt".
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
That's a stupid question. That's like saying do people who eat meat kill people? If not, then why do they kill animals.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
it's to do with sentience. Insects don't have the same brain power, feelings etc as mammals.

That's what they want you to think.

Did I ever tell you about that time a spider and a large male mosquitoe teamed up to murder me? Don't tell me they don't have brain power
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
That's what they want you to think.

Did I ever tell you about that time a spider and a large male mosquitoe teamed up to murder me? Don't tell me they don't have brain power

Please tell us the story Mr. Kensai, it would be ever so joyful!
Quote by Regression
That's a stupid question. That's like saying do people who eat meat kill people? If not, then why do they kill animals.

This is based entirely on the assumption that certain animals are less sentient than others.

If research shows that insects have feelings and can cry, will that affect your opinion?

There has been evidence that plants have feelings, too. Nobody gave a shit.
Quote by sashki
This is based entirely on the assumption that certain animals are less sentient than others.

If research shows that insects have feelings and can cry, will that affect your opinion?

There has been evidence that plants have feelings, too. Nobody gave a shit.

As long as it's not a question of morals.
i'm a vegetarian because i'm against farming practices, and although i value all life, i'm not a pacifist and i'll retalliate if provoked. just like i'm not a racist, but if a chinese guy pisses me off i'll cave his head in.

oh yes.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by Telecaster7
Please tell us the story Mr. Kensai, it would be ever so joyful!

I will tell you the tale but beware, once you read it you can't unread it.

It was a dark and dreary night in late october, the kind where outside was so dark you would think black holes surrounded your vision. I was exhausted after a long day and was getting ready for bed, doing my usual ritual of brushing my teeth then washing my face. If I have my mp3-player around I usually put on some music, and on this night this was the case, which later turned out to be a poor idea.

For with my mp3-player on and my mouth occupied with an electric toothbrush I could not hear the insectoid revolution behind me, the chants of revenge on humans and brewing hatred overfilling the air.

You see, the insects had formed an alliance. An alliance much greater than any insect alliance before. The spiders and mosquitoes had finally put down their arms and rejoiced as brothers before a common enemy: man. It was a mutual agreement, and a swift action from a quickly spawned plan showing what's more to come of this alliance.

I never saw the plan, but I saw the result. As I was standing in front of the mirror, carefully polishing my teeth to perfection I saw in the corner of my eye the symbiotic breeds! I saw a vessel of the contempt, the madness, the revolution of insects. It was not two beasts joined together hand in hand, it was ONE beast! The ULTIMATE beast! Woven together by clever, cunning hands I saw the largest mosquitoe I too this date have ever saw, and below it, riding in a chariot of silk, a spider, both flying through the air heading for my face.

I don't know how I got out of that bathroom, I suspect I never will know. But in the end, in the aftermath, two insect warriors laid dead on the floor, their bodies crushed but their spirits will still always remain the symbol for this new revolution.
I think you misspelled 'mosquito' once, Kensai.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Kensai
I will tell you the tale but beware, once you read it you can't unread it.

It was a dark and dreary night in late october, the kind where outside was so dark you would think black holes surrounded your vision. I was exhausted after a long day and was getting ready for bed, doing my usual ritual of brushing my teeth then washing my face. If I have my mp3-player around I usually put on some music, and on this night this was the case, which later turned out to be a poor idea.

For with my mp3-player on and my mouth occupied with an electric toothbrush I could not hear the insectoid revolution behind me, the chants of revenge on humans and brewing hatred overfilling the air.

You see, the insects had formed an alliance. An alliance much greater than any insect alliance before. The spiders and mosquitoes had finally put down their arms and rejoiced as brothers before a common enemy: man. It was a mutual agreement, and a swift action from a quickly spawned plan showing what's more to come of this alliance.

I never saw the plan, but I saw the result. As I was standing in front of the mirror, carefully polishing my teeth to perfection I saw in the corner of my eye the symbiotic breeds! I saw a vessel of the contempt, the madness, the revolution of insects. It was not two beasts joined together hand in hand, it was ONE beast! The ULTIMATE beast! Woven together by clever, cunning hands I saw the largest mosquitoe I too this date have ever saw, and below it, riding in a chariot of silk, a spider, both flying through the air heading for my face.

I don't know how I got out of that bathroom, I suspect I never will know. But in the end, in the aftermath, two insect warriors laid dead on the floor, their bodies crushed but their spirits will still always remain the symbol for this new revolution.

I tip my hat to the new revolution...

You sir, are a hero among men
I'm a vegetarian, and I've never thought about insects in the same way, plus if there in my house crawling or flying around it's hardly the same as animals on a farm but if a cow was running around my house I'd probably try and kill it.

EDIT: ^Swedish people are crazy.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
The question is, if a small chinese man was in your house running about would you kill him?
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by evening_crow
I think you misspelled 'mosquito' once, Kensai.

Indeed I did.

You spider-mosquito sympathizer

Quote by Telecaster7
I tip my hat to the new revolution...

You sir, are a hero among men

I am but a man, forced to do this duty.

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
The question is, if a small chinese man was in your house running about would you kill him?

I'd make him do my homework first.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King

He'll be my cook.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Kensai
Indeed I did.

You spider-mosquito sympathizer

In that case...

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
That was awesome when read in Gandalf's voice.

Whever I write stories I always imagine them being read out loud with Ian McKellen's voice
I use the cup method.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Page 1 of 3