im looking to get a new amp that i can use for gigging and home practice. I would need something that would give me a good tone for AC/DC and Thin Lizzy style songs, and even up to Guns N' Roses level if thats possible(iv got an OD pedal if not), for under £500. I use an Epiphone SG-400 if that helps.
Quote by stykerwolf
Maybe a used JCM2000, but you'd still be far from that sound.
May i suggest an 18 watt clone like Ceriatone?

+1
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
+1,isnt that 18W ceriatone thing just a smaller marshall plexi clone?
If it is,that'll be the way to go.Really just look for any single channel master volume amp.Dunno how much your gonna be able get for 500 pounds though.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Did I hear my name?

Well for that tone an 18watter is certanly a good idea! Listen to the demo in my sig. That's what it sounds like. My Brown Note was about $100 in shipping, but check out Ceriatone too. They are of great quality.

I've heard great things about this. It's an 18watter with a Power Scale. Believe it or not, but they are louder than you think and with a Power Scale it's super easy to overdrive!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by Gabel at Aug 21, 2009,
I've got the Ceriatone 18 / 36 watt (1/2 power switch) . It's great!!! Good at bedroom levels but can also get really LOUD!!!!
Can get that older Plexi sound at fairly low volumes with a OCD.
marshall, my friend, marshall! I suggest jcm 800...my guess is you're from england seeing you use pounds, so you could get used one for that price easily
Quote by Cobe
marshall, my friend, marshall! I suggest jcm 800...my guess is you're from england seeing you use pounds, so you could get used one for that price easily

I'd actually advice against that. The JCM800 sounds great, but for the tones he wants he's going to need poweramp gain and a JCM800 will be close to impossible to crank for him.

Also check out the new Marshall Class 5 coming out soon. I've heard Joe Bonamassa demo it and I really liked the tone!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

@gabel:yeah, it's definitely loud for home practice. but so it 18watter...neither are practice amps, atleast in my opinion...new little marshall(or any other litle valve amp, really) would do better. but seeing he is going to gig...he will just have to make a compromise. and ceriatone is not cheap compared to jcm, and doesnt keep its value like marshall...only saying that because he might decide one day that marshall tone isn't for him
Quote by Cobe
@gabel:yeah, it's definitely loud for home practice. but so it 18watter...neither are practice amps, atleast in my opinion...new little marshall(or any other litle valve amp, really) would do better. but seeing he is going to gig...he will just have to make a compromise. and ceriatone is not cheap compared to jcm, and doesnt keep its value like marshall...only saying that because he might decide one day that marshall tone isn't for him

Well did you check the link I suggested? It's an 18watter, made in the UK for only £300 that has a Power Scale. I have a Power Scale in my 18watter and then you can easily use it for practising, but 18watters have enough power to gig (I often do it with mine, with a band with another guitarist using a Rocker 30 and a bassist with a 350W Hartke).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

uh, didn't see it...my bad thenat this price with tthis power scale(my guess is this is an attenuator)it's very good choice.

i guess gabel got it right again
Quote by Cobe
uh, didn't see it...my bad thenat this price with tthis power scale(my guess is this is an attenuator)it's very good choice.

i guess gabel got it right again

Actually it's not an attenuator, but a Power Scale. So it controls the bias and current going into the amp, lowering the wattage. This means you keep the dynamics and so on.

Thanks
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Bumping this thread but yes im going to reccomend the JCM2000, lots of tone options and versatility and yes it CAN do those tones just fine, it may not be as authentic as a Plexi or JCM800 but your getting plenty of other great tones and extras that both of those amps dont have.
Quote by TheCalvinator
Bumping this thread but yes im going to reccomend the JCM2000, lots of tone options and versatility and yes it CAN do those tones just fine, it may not be as authentic as a Plexi or JCM800 but your getting plenty of other great tones and extras that both of those amps dont have.

yeah, iv been checkin out the JCM2000 and i think itd be a great choice for myself, but im not sure on which version to get. I want to get a head and then get a cabinet of some sort. What should i get?
I would advise against the JCM2000 if you just want those tones. The one Gabel linked to would be a far better choice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I would advise against the JCM2000 if you just want those tones. The one Gabel linked to would be a far better choice.

Having played the JCM2000 quite a bit I can say the same thing. I used to own a JCM900 Dual Reverb and had to sell it for being too modern for those tones. The JCM2000 is even more modern.

You'd also want a fairly small amp, so you can crank it. My tip is that 18watter. Listen to mine here. It will be perfect for what you play.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Imo, JCM2000 would do the AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, GnR thing just fine. It has a much more of a classic rock voicing than the 900s do.

Also, if I recall, Thin Lizzy had about 6 different guitar players so take that for what it is...

Here is a nice vid of Gary and Scott Gorham both using DSL100s at the Phil Lynott tribute show from several years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97DM-xFBj48
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 23, 2009,
Can I recommend a Peavey Windsor head? I got one used on eBay for $149! What a steal! Not ideal for cleans, but it's pretty good for distorted tones; I find that I can particularly get a great Thin Lizzy crunchy sound from it. Its 100w are a bit much, but pull two El34s and it's much more manageable. Surprisingly, the preamp gain isn't that bad though.
not only is this thread over 4 months old, but the TS already chose an amp.