I was trying to record something on my computer. I played the song on my guitar while listening to the song through headphones, so I have a video of me playing just the guitar part of the song. What I then tried to do was put the original version of the song in the background. What happened was when I got the two in time with each other at the start, as the song progressed the video of me ended up slightly slower than the original song. I was told this was probably because of different sample rates between the video and the song, so I exported the video from my camera recording software with the sample rate of 44.1, and used Audacity to change the sample rate of the original song to 44.1 as well, as it was originally 48. Problem is, the two tracks still don't stay in time. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Perhaps you slowed down while playing?
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Nah it's definately not that. Sure, I may have occasionally played a chord a fraction of a second late, but the whole thing gradually slows down. I can't tell just by listening to it, but by the time it finishes it's around 5 seconds out of time with the original song
play with a metronome

and it wouldnt be sample rate, unless the rate was so high that you got some latency.

sample rate deals with how many samples of the sound wave are taken, so it affects sound quality, not really timing, unless its so high that your pc can't keep up and your getting latency.

but I dont think that applies here.
Last edited by Dookie92 at Aug 21, 2009,
The whole file is playing or recording at a different speed to the original, I'm pretty certain it's not me playing out of time. For example, ten seconds in, both tracks are perfectly in time. A minute and a half in, the song is slightly further ahead than the recording, and as it progresses the gap gets bigger.
Sample rate shouldn't make a difference, since most sequencers will adjust the track to the sample rate of the working project. Also I'm VERY surprised that the sample rate of the original song was 48 KHz, seeing as the sample rate of all commercial CD's in 44.1 KHz.
The song was Hallowed be thy Name by Iron Maiden, and it's a digitally remastered version from 1998. Not sure if this would affect the sample rate though

I was using Windows Movie Maker but the damn thing crashed within seconds every time I opened it, so I am now using a program called VideoSpin which is pretty similar.
Unless you also notice a distinct difference in pitch between the two versions then it won't be a sample rate issue. And no, the remastered version of any song would not be in 48kHz, not even if it's an SACD, so you've probably ripped it "wrong". Like take_it_t said, all commercially available CDs are at 44.1kHz.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News