Not sure if this is in the right place. If it isn't, sorry.

I'm thinking of getting a slightly cheaper guitar that feels nice to play, and sticking an EMG in the bridge position.

I have no idea how to do that, so i'm planning on asking either my guitar teacher or the owner of the local music shop.

How much should i expect to pay for them to do it? What would be a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
England. sorry. forgot to mention that.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
I should try to put it in yourself there are enough tutorials on the web you only have to get a 10$ solder iron.... But back to what you were asking I really don't know what it will cost you but if you ask your teacher he may do it for free.
^ that exactly.

It's not going to be cheap to get installed and it's only $10-20 if you do it yourself.

you also can't have and active and a passive pickup playing at the same time, so if the guitar has two pickups, you need a two way switch, not 3 way.
Quote by guitarcam123
^ that exactly.

It's not going to be cheap to get installed and it's only $10-20 if you do it yourself.

you also can't have and active and a passive pickup playing at the same time, so if the guitar has two pickups, you need a two way switch, not 3 way.

Okay I haven't thought about that... what would happen if i had the pick-up selector on both pickups?
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Can I mix EMG’s with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG’s with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring
configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that
the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG’s. The passive pickups,
however, will work fi ne. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with
a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the
250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse
affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG’s. The
problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of highfrequency
response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are
two benefi ts to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the
passive pickups to match the EMG’s. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device
so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the
passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the
SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without
the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

From the EMG site.
I know a bloke who does it for £5.
I normally do it myself. it's not hard.
Surely he could keep the 3 way switch and just not use the middle position if he has 1 active and one passive pup?
Last edited by grem_roots at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by grem_roots
I know a bloke who does it for £5.
I normally do it myself. it's not hard.
Surely he could keep the 3 way switch and just not use the middle position if he has 1 active and one passive pup?

this is what i thought. i just wouldn't use the middle position. i rarely do anyway.

well... thanks for you help everyone!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
You will also need to add a 9v battery for the EMG alternate power source.