first of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I bought a Dean Dime from Hell guitar a few months back at big retail shop called PMT.
I broke a string on it recently and thought to myself 'ah the bridge was too low anyway and my first couple frets were ringing out properly, ill go get it professionally set up'

I took it back to the shop today and told the guitar tec there and he said the trauss rod with have to be tweaked cus the guitar is set up for 9's/10's and i play 2 step down at C. He talked mumbo jumbo for the next few minutes then said the trauss rod, the bridge and a string change (which is aparently a full setup) and it will be 65 UK pounds. Am i being played a fool or is that pretty reasonable and an average/decent price with good + legit information about my guitar and what needs to be done.
Thanks.
It only really costs £20 where abouts I am. The thing is, you could do it yourself, and it would only cost about 4-5 quid to get some strings.

Read some things on the internet, or have a look round other shops to see if they would do it lot cheaper.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
was it PMT in salford(manchester) if so you can get a full setup for £45 + strings in cheadle(manchester).

and i wouldn`t trust any of the staff at PMT anyway, why do you think soundcontrol went under - same premises and staff different owner and name...
If you can get it for £30 or less go for it, its always safer

Setting it up yourself is usually quite risky, but its always worth a try if the price is out of proportion.

Oh and floyd rose your strings while your at it
Quote by Ezpzz

I bought a Dean Dime from Hell guitar a few months back at big retail shop called PMT.
I broke a string on it recently and thought to myself 'ah the bridge was too low anyway and my first couple frets were ringing out properly, ill go get it professionally set up'

I took it back to the shop today and told the guitar tec there and he said the trauss rod with have to be tweaked cus the guitar is set up for 9's/10's and i play 2 step down at C. He talked mumbo jumbo for the next few minutes then said the trauss rod, the bridge and a string change (which is aparently a full setup) and it will be 65 UK pounds. Am i being played a fool or is that pretty reasonable and an average/decent price with good + legit information about my guitar and what needs to be done.
Thanks.

Hi there,

He is probably telling the truth about having to set the guitar up, however, I think the price is a bit unreasonable. I can do this job myself in 20 minutes tops.

I suggest maybe talking to a friend who knows how to set up guitars, maybe he can help you. If not. Then shop around and try get that job done for £35 (not including new string costs) which is more fair.

Edit: I would gladly do it for you if I lived within distance of you. Free of charge of course.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Last edited by satchgear at Aug 21, 2009,
It is PMT in Birmingham and my guitar has got stock floyd rose on it. and just for referance where i say the guitar is set up for 9's/10's. i play 11 - 54. thanks
man, i can't play a set of 9s in standard tuning. i can' imagine what they feel like tuned down!
Quote by Ezpzz
It is PMT in Birmingham and my guitar has got stock floyd rose on it. and just for referance where i say the guitar is set up for 9's/10's. i play 11 - 54. thanks

Ok you play 11's. Truss Rod might not need that much of an adjustment if youre dropping to C. You might need to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar a little though. This job is even easier. I think the guy is trying to rip you off.

If you can..get a friend to look at it who knows his stuff.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
To be honest with you. I wish i would have shopped around a bit first. I dropped the guitar off about an hour ago and i got the invoice infront of me now, he may even be working on it as we speak. Thanks very much for the speady reply from everyone and thanks satchgear for some really informative responses.
No worries. I hope he does it right for you. Nothing worse than a crappy tech taking more than his worth and not giving a quality service.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
doubt he`s looking at it right now, normally takes a week minimum your guitar is at the end of a queue, if you told him that you needed it this weekend and were going to wait in-store for it them probably today...

PMT aren`t a bad store they just have the wrong staff, i go into the salford store for a look around but never buy from them....their customer service sux (saying that there`s only 3 members of staff that i would actually trust but the other 10.....)
Yah, i asked the guitar tec when it will be done by and he said he had one acoustic yamaha to dress then its mine so tomrrow, i said i cant pick it up tomorrow so sunday..suprise.. not in sunday...he said he will prbably get it done for this afternoon. To be honest, ive always felt as if the staff there play you like a fool and s****** behind your back, they just seem sniedy...
it says it all when anyone can walk in and pick a 5 grand acoustic off the wall get their mucky paws and fingerprints all over it scratch it to s**t then put it back on the wall then go buy a pack of strings, just playing the guitar `cos it`s there...
Quote by Ezpzz

I broke a string on it recently and thought to myself 'ah the bridge was too low anyway and my first couple frets were ringing out properly, ill go get it professionally set up' .

Yeah dude same thing happened to me,well sort of,my Low E string kept breaking on my dime guitar and brought it back to the shop and they said they wouldn't fix it or even look at the problem and if they did they were gonna charge so i pulled out the receipt and said they had to fix it for free right now,15 minutes later I walked out the door with my guitar fixed with a free set of strings on it

Your entitled to free a service on your guitar if it is a problem that can be traced back to the store

Edit: Just read all the posts, hope your not paying for the service dude cause they should have done that on day 1
you should go to local guitar tech's because they should charge half the price of a big retail store.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly