hey

i m looking for a new amp and my eye fell on these 3 amps:

voc ac30 cc2, vox ac30 cc2x and the fender twin reverb

does anyone has some experience with one or more of those amps?

i play rock, indie, grunge,... but never metal
i like a nice clean channel and a nice overdrive channel. distortion i get using pedals

i was thinking about buying the ac30 but i dunno wich one. are the alnico's worth the price difference (about 300 euro)?
I heard almost every amp is based on the ac30 or the twin reverb, so i wanted to hear your opinion about those amps, not only the ac30.

they r both kinda the same price range (except for the warfdale-speaker-version-thing)

i know i should listen to the amps to compare but in belgium not many shops have all of those amps. thats why i wanna know i even should listen to them or just can drop em.

ty
tibbe
You say you want overdrive and based on what you play, get the AC30. Unless you run it at inhumane volumes the Twin Reverb is the cleaneast tube amps there is basically. The AC30 is a fantastic amp I must say, one of my favourite.

Also worth noting is that both of these are one channel, since neither has channel switching. However the AC30 is VERY dynamic, so just roll down your guitar volume and you've got a great clean tone.

For the speakers I say yes and no. They are very expensive, but they sound wonderful with an AC30. However a simple sollution is to get the CC1 or CC2 and install Eminence Red Fangs in it. I have a Red Fang and it's a spot on Celestion Blue.

Also the saying that evy amp is based of a Twin Reverb or AC30 is wrong. There are a few copies, but the design most amps are based of is a Tweed 5F3 Bassman.

But an AC30 is a great choice for you I must say
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ya, the question is really do you like American voicing or British. They both have great cleans, and can be ODed nicely (much more difficult with a TR.) The difference is do you want chimey, bell like British cleans, or sparkly, bright American?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
about the red fangs:

to buy an ac30 cc2 and replace speakers by new one would cost me about the same no?
i can't replace them myself.

are there maybe cab's with red fangs in it, so i might buy it in a stack? (i prefer 2x12 cabs)

about single channel:

i know the amps can't switch channels but i found a solution for that. so that's no problem.

what band would u name for discribing the sound of an ac30 and a TR?
Well replacing the speakers in an AC30 would still be about €300 cheaper than the CC2X (at least if you buy from Thomann). Replacing them yourself is pretty easy. I know about no cab that comes with them stock, but you could easily do it yourself or get one from here:
www.tube-town.de

Twin Reverb:
Early BB King
Sultans Of Swings era Mark Knopfler
Dick Dale
Robby Krieger- The Doors (with a Maestro Fuzz)
Loads of artists has used it for clean sounds, but not that many as their main amp.

AC30:
Brian May- Queen
Jeff Beck- Yardbirds and on Truth
The Edge- U2
Paul Weller- The Jam
John Scofield
Peter Buck- R.E.M
Rory Gallagher
About every British Invasion band
Loads of indie bands
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Aug 21, 2009,
Twin Reverb - Modest Mouse (Sort of, its a good idea of the sound but he also uses Super Sixes, Bassmans, and a few custom amps, but they all sound pretty much like a Twin Reverb.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ac30, i would go with the one with the warfdale speaker then replace it later, its cheaper that way.
i have the ac15, and love it dearly, and i have played an ac30 several times. i love ac's needless to say, wonderful cleans, and really good breakup, but the breakup is really about how hard you play, light strumming or rolled back volume will still sound clean etc. i play mainly jazz funk and blues and i havent been dissapointed with my ac15 yet, and was very impressed with the ac30 the times i played it.

i would love to have a twin reverb equally as much though
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
It's a complete apples and oranges scenario. Never mind the difference in tone, the price gap between an AC30 and Twin is far too substantial for a like-for-like comparison. If you want to use an amp to it's full potential, then go for the AC30, but don't rule out some of the lower wattage Fenders if you like that particular tone.
I'd take the ac30 personally. More character in the sound. I'd also go for the alnico blues. They're pretty steep, but amongst the best speakers money can buy.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Gabel
Well replacing the speakers in an AC30 would still be about €300 cheaper than the CC2X (at least if you buy from Thomann). Replacing them yourself is pretty easy. I know about no cab that comes with them stock, but you could easily do it yourself or get one from here:
www.tube-town.de

Twin Reverb:
Early BB King
Sultans Of Swings era Mark Knopfler
Dick Dale
Robby Krieger- The Doors (with a Maestro Fuzz)
Loads of artists has used it for clean sounds, but not that many as their main amp.

AC30:
Brian May- Queen
Jeff Beck- Yardbirds and on Truth
The Edge- U2
Paul Weller- The Jam
John Scofield
Peter Buck- R.E.M
Rory Gallagher
About every British Invasion band
Loads of indie bands

I was reading an interview with him the other week, and I think he still uses the Fenders still. As I recall he was 'crazy about tubes'. Hmm. But he says he buys those Gibson Lab amps (I think that's the name) when he can. I dunno really. Saul Goode I suppose.

I suppose, if you get the Vox, you could experiment and make a Dallas Treble Booster, which always sound nice with them. I'm not sure how they'd sound with a Fender because they don't sound as good with every amp.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I can vauge for an ac30, i love my ac30HH, I have not been disapointed at all, if it doesn't do a sound I want which is very very very rarely a pedal will take care of it, I have never played a Twin though, so I'm not sure, buy and run em both =/ sorry I couldn't be more help lol
Quote by Lil Macker
I was reading an interview with him the other week, and I think he still uses the Fenders still. As I recall he was 'crazy about tubes'. Hmm. But he says he buys those Gibson Lab amps (I think that's the name) when he can. I dunno really. Saul Goode I suppose.

I suppose, if you get the Vox, you could experiment and make a Dallas Treble Booster, which always sound nice with them. I'm not sure how they'd sound with a Fender because they don't sound as good with every amp.

That's possible, I know that he often uses the Lab amps today. But for stuff like "The Thrill Is Gone" he was using a Twin Reverb.

Quote by stykerwolf
Though his was modded like heck and he was able to turn the volume to 10

His were not modded, but he was using a treble booster with them!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Its very hard to overdrive a twin reverb, but I typically associate the "typical" Twin Reverb tone with Mike Bloomfield on super session w/ Al Kooper....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdMf-86Evro

and Jerry Garcia's tone on the 1972 Europe tour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXPVRLpoQA (listen for Jerry's lead playing ~2:00)

Both are twin reverbs w/ JBLs
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 21, 2009,