Page 1 of 2
Okay so I'm going to see Dream Theater and Zappa Does Zappa tonight, and the guy I'm going with has said he wants to smoke a little weed before we go. Now I'm not a huge smoker or anything, I mean I've had my fair share, but I don't do it much. Now sometimes I can see the appeal to it, I had four fifty year old guys smoking all around me at Roger Waters and I can dig that, the music sort of fit, but I just never really understood why you'd get high before a show.

Any opinions on the matter?

-Wiz?
Zappa Plays Zappa.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I always attend a show ****ed up. Allows me to really feel the music and connect with the crowd.
Remember this. Remember the summer. Whatever you do. Don't forget.
some people do it just cause they generally feel its like part of the going to see a band.Its bit like us first thing we do is go to a pub as soon as we get off the train and have a few drinks before we go to the venue its just all about adding to the experience i think.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
some people do it just cause they generally feel its like part of the going to see a band.Its bit like us first thing we do is go to a pub as soon as we get off the train and have a few drinks before we go to the venue its just all about adding to the experience i think.

Sounds like a cool way to ruin your liver.
Quote by Razgriz_101

I mean sure I can understand that, if I was of age in the states I'd have a drink or two before a show, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get smashed or anything. It just doesn't feel like I'd appreciate the music as much.
If you wanna fully remember and take in the music, don't dude.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by wizards?
Okay so I'm going to see Dream Theater and Zappa Does Zappa tonight, and the guy I'm going with has said he wants to smoke a little weed before we go. Now I'm not a huge smoker or anything, I mean I've had my fair share, but I don't do it much. Now sometimes I can see the appeal to it, I had four fifty year old guys smoking all around me at Roger Waters and I can dig that, the music sort of fit, but I just never really understood why you'd get high before a show.

-Wiz?

Quote by metaldud536

You seem pretty bitter these days. What's the dealyo?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by metaldud536

well i only attend an average of 3 gigs a year in Glasgow so....its not actually an oft happening occurence but its no diffrent from smoking its just something we do to add to the overall experience none of us drink a lot i mean the last time i had a drink was a party after a local gig and that was a month ago :S

its a good way of building up to the overall experience cause you sit, discuss what songs you hope they play and did anyone check out the support bands xD
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You seem pretty bitter these days. What's the dealyo?

I dunno lol. I'm just thinking about what he posted: Having a few drinks so you can have more drinks. Sounds.....deadly
Quote by metaldud536
I dunno lol. I'm just thinking about what he posted: Having a few drinks so you can have more drinks. Sounds.....deadly

nah tend to not drink in the venue if i do its water xD cause some places are goddamned expensive for drinking in i remember the black crusade i as a stupid mug paid £4 for a pint...if memory serves me correctly
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
I dunno, I've obly been to two concerts and I was high both times. last concert I went to was the Blazed and Confused tour, with Slighlty Stoopid, Snoop Dogg, and Stephen Marley, so it was like apart of the experience. And the other show I went to was 420 experience with Expendables and Kotton Mouth Kings headlining, so again it was kind of like part of the experience. I dunno, the sows were enjoyable and it isn't like I forgot them.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I think maybe just 1 joint might make Dream Theater a bit more enjoyable, but only on the spacier songs. I think it would just be a bit much if they were playing something heavy..

See that's what I tried to tell him, and assuming they're playing stuff from their new album the only song it would really work for is The Count of Tuscany which is amazing without it anyway. Eh, I don't know, I'm really just wondering why people get so fucked up before a show and then don't remember it the next day.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I think maybe just 1 joint might make Dream Theater a bit more enjoyable, but only on the spacier songs. I think it would just be a bit much if they were playing something heavy..

It isn't like you get high before a concert so the music can "trip you out." It is usually just so you can relax, and enjoy the music. Not that you can't do that sober, but weed definitely makes it easier.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Sounds like it would be fun wouldnt wanna be to high though just a little buzzed would be good. Thats what I plan on doing for metallica and lamb of god in October. Might go on shrooms lol
Quote by Morsbass1994
Sounds like it would be fun wouldnt wanna be to high though just a little buzzed would be good. Thats what I plan on doing for metallica and lamb of god in October. Might go on shrooms lol

grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by Morsbass1994

That just sounds like a horrible idea all around...
It's kind of like getting drunk before a gig.. I only do it for local gigs when a)I know the majority of people there, and b) the music is usually pretty ****.. I wouldn't do it if I was going to see big name bands... well actually I would, but not to the level I usually do.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

It's a great experience on or off the ganja, but a must-try at least once...like a funny movie while high, or drunk sex.
Your Signature:
Quote by Sawman3
I always attend a show ****ed up. Allows me to really feel the music and connect with the crowd.

This. The first time I got really high at a concert was when I saw Incubus last month. Best concert experience of my entire life.

When I go to see Porcupine Tree in Chicago next month, I might have to do something with a little more "kick."
Quote by happytimeharry
This. The first time I got really high at a concert was when I saw Incubus last month. Best concert experience of my entire life.

When I go to see Porcupine Tree in Chicago next month, I might have to do something with a little more "kick."

Lucky bastard. I'd drive down to see them if I could get a ticket. That would be a show that I think I'd be cool with getting really high at.
Kiddiwinks, take it from an old dude... DON'T DO IT.... I kick myself now for the number of key gigs I went to but can't really remember because I was f**ked up. I've seen RATM, Nirvana, Chillis, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth etc all in their prime but can remember jack sh1t

SH
I might have one or two beers with the people I'm going with beforehand, just to be social, but I'd never want to be feeling the effects of them at a gig.
S'much better. I smoked a load before Jose Gonzalez and Andy Mckee and a few other acts and it just heightens the experience in every way.
Quote by wizards?

-Wiz?

If you want to actually enjoy the music, then don't. You'll probably end up thinking about how buzzed you are most of the time and are likely to get sidetracked from the concert.

Ultimately, i think you know what you want to do. You're just asking us to back up the decision you've already made.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by dubstar92
It isn't like you get high before a concert so the music can "trip you out." It is usually just so you can relax, and enjoy the music. Not that you can't do that sober, but weed definitely makes it easier.

I agree with this, it's relaxing and the music melt your face.

I love jammin' on my guitar too.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by BassFishin
If you want to actually enjoy the music, then don't. You'll probably end up thinking about how buzzed you are most of the time and are likely to get sidetracked from the concert.

Ultimately, i think you know what you want to do. You're just asking us to back up the decision you've already made.

Actually, I really wanted to know about you guys, I hear people saying they do it all the time, but I wondered what people in here thought about it.
Depends on the concert tbh.

If it's a small local bar time gig around where I live I might. If it's a big concert I tend not to. I have been at one or two large concerts where I wouldn't have minded a bit of high but not that many tbh.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

you say that as if heavy music is bad high... just sounds heavier. in a very, very good way.

Quote by BassFishin

maybe you get sidetracked, but it's really not hard to listen to music when you're high. in fact, i think it's so much easier.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by wizards?
Lucky bastard. I'd drive down to see them if I could get a ticket. That would be a show that I think I'd be cool with getting really high at.

Yeah, I'm taking the train up to see them, stay an extra day to just take in the city. Never been there before. I'm so excited!
Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah, I'm taking the train up to see them, stay an extra day to just take in the city. Never been there before. I'm so excited!

It's a fun town to be in, It'd only be an eight hour drive down from the Twin Cities... Now I'm remotely considering it. Dammit harry, you have me wanting to blow my college money already!
Quote by wizards?
It's a fun town to be in, It'd only be an eight hour drive down from the Twin Cities... Now I'm remotely considering it. Dammit harry, you have me wanting to blow my college money already!

Haha dude, it would totally be worth it. Hell man, if you are actually considering it you could meet up with me and my friend(s). I'll be supplying the psychedelics. Listening to PT whilst tripping is one thing, but seeing them live? I'd probably cum buckets...
Quote by happytimeharry
Haha dude, it would totally be worth it. Hell man, if you are actually considering it you could meet up with me and my friend(s). I'll be supplying the psychedelics. Listening to PT whilst tripping is one thing, but seeing them live? I'd probably cum buckets...

I'll see if I can with my schedgule, I'm a pretty busy guy these days, but I actually want to so we'll see.
Quote by wizards?
I'll see if I can with my schedgule, I'm a pretty busy guy these days, but I actually want to so we'll see.

Yeah that's cool dude. I'm ending up having to skip out of classes for a few days to make the trip. Show's on the 22nd. Keep me posted if you end up going.

And on that note, off to smoke and go to class...
Getting high won't make you appreciate the music as much? What??
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by wizards?
I mean sure I can understand that, if I was of age in the states I'd have a drink or two before a show, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get smashed or anything. It just doesn't feel like I'd appreciate the music as much.

I can remember seeing Municipal Waste live in Bristol. I was drunk by the time they came on and I started shouting in a tiny gig room squashed with a few hundred people 'MUNICIPAL WASTE ARE GONNA' getting everyone else to answer back 'FUCK YOU UP'. Apparently to those watching me a good number of people felt intimidated. I was drunk was the entire room became one big pit, got a number of injuries including several blows to the crotch, two kicks in the face from stage divers and all sorts. Did a few stage dives myself.

I was out of it, I had my shirt stained with some unknown blood (a considerable amount, as in half of one side on the front side of my shirt). It was insane, but was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. I definitely think the alcohol made it better.
If I was going to see Dream Theatre I'd drink as much as I could so I wouldn't need to listen to them.

Anyway, have a few, don't be a fudd and get legless though, and if you do, keep in mind you'll be sweating alot and having to leave to get a drink is a major pain in the arse. Get kitted out.
Page 1 of 2