Hey guys, complete noob here so dont flame me too much. After while of looking and searching i couldnt find something that exactly helps me with my problem.

Anyway such problem is. I've played guitar for about 5 or 6 years but ended up getting stuck in a rut frustrated and selling all my gear. Anyway i have just got another guitar and amp and i was hoping to basically start over and hopefully get myself out of the rut.

First of all after a 3 year break i have pretty much forgotten everything but it is slowly coming back. I could never really grasp theory anyway. One problem also was that i would never use my little finger but i have now stopped (started) doing that.

The main problem is i do not /cannot play others music. I will practice away at scales and such and make my way from there. From there i can always come up with some really good little riffs, thats the problem. I seem to get stuck in one section of the fret board and not be able to move anywhere or join anything up together.

I really hope that makes sense, i would hate to crack the ****s again and throw it in.
Just move slowly up the fretboard, or use the same notes but above the 12th fret
If playing without theory got you stuck then theory is the only way out.

Pick one scale and learn it string by string on every string.

You need to visualize an entire key(scale) on the entire fretboard otherwise you'll be making blind jumps across the neck or down or up the fretboard.

Eminor or Xminor(x being the lowest note on the 6th string, the open note) is a good key to know by heart.

It's not gonna be easy or quick at first, so keep trying.

And when you get bored of playing around with the scale, play chord progressions off that key. Start with the easy open chords if you don't know them, then progressively start playing the same chords on different strings and/or positions.

google "guitarknowledgenet" to look up the key and it's visually representation on the fretboard.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
learning solos from songs that use the whole fretboard can help you learn your notes up and down the neck. Learning other peoples songs can be a really fantastic way to improve the ones you write.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I'm similar. Check out the book Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino. Once you make it through that, check out his other book, Chord Tone Soloing. That will get you on the right path.
Quote by unknownname

The main problem is i do not /cannot play others music. I will practice away at scales and such and make my way from there. From there i can always come up with some really good little riffs, thats the problem. I seem to get stuck in one section of the fret board and not be able to move anywhere or join anything up together.

I really hope that makes sense, i would hate to crack the ****s again and throw it in.

You pointed out the issues. the Solutions are simple...

Learn some songs

play on other parts of the fretboard regularly

you could even combine that.... learn some songs that utilize other parts of the fretboard.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 22, 2009,