Hey, i found a good deal for a POD 2.0 + a tone port for 130$ shipped to my door. At that price, im taking it. I want a clean and easy recording process because always using my shure 57 and mixer, etc is a pain in the a**. I just wanted to know if i need both of them? Like do i connect my POD into my tone port or i could just connect my POD into my pc? Is it better to connect it to the tone port?. Also, if sometimes im using guitar rig 3, would the tone port be usefull? Thanks.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Last edited by AmericanParadox at Aug 21, 2009,
You just need the POD. You can plug it right into your computer. I don't think there's anything the toneport has that the POD does not.
If you just want to go guitar > Pod > PC you can do that. If you want to get rid of the mixer and still need XLR input then yes, you'll need an interface for that. The new Toneports (called Pod Sudio) also come with Pod Farm modelling software for free which you may like.

In this instance, you would go:

guitar > Pod > amp > mic > XLR to Toneport (Pod Studio) > PC

hope that helps

Edit: so used Pod 2.0 and a Toneport for $130? That seems like a good deal. Pod Studio new is $150.
Its not, the guy sent me some pictures, he actually used them like....twice.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
So if i can connect my POD right into the computer, can i still plug it in the tone port? Like would i get any advatanges doing this?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Not that I can think of. Why would you plug both into PC at the same time? That would cause some aweful out of phase issues me thinks.

Also, I'm not super familiar with the Pod 2. What interfaces does it have? Again, I think would either run guitar > Pod > PC is you just want to record directly into PC and bypass the amp. If you want to mic your amp, the do like I was saying up above.
so the tone port would be no use?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
But a 10 channel mixer would do the job, no?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Sure, but I thought you said you wanted something cleaner for recording, so I assumed you were ditching the mixer.

Either way, you would be getting roughly $400 worth of stuff for $130. The Pod Studio is worth it as it is even if you continued using the Mixer.

Just make sure the CD (lic) will work. I think I had to register my product and get a key and stuff in order to load Pod Studio. I can't remember to be honest.
Okay, heres the deal, you can use them both together although you don't have to. The POD 2.0 does not have any way of interfacing to your computer digitally, it has a 1/4inch line out which can be converted into 1/8 and run into your computers input or mic jack. If your wanting to conect via USB you should be able to interface the POD with the toneport. I personally just use the 1/4 inch jack into the line in on my PC, works like a chram, and records very well, its simple and easy.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
ohh. So if i can't register it, i can't use it?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
^I honestly don't know/remember. There is a massive forum at line6.com. I think they have a dedicated forum for Pods and toneports. I'd surf over there and maybe even ask if you are still not sure.

And JohnBryant has one, so take his advise on set up. I thought when I read the specs that it was Midi capable.

I would just use the Pod 2.0 for effects and then mic your amp like you do today and use Pod Studio as your XLR interface.
Maybe US but not CAD. I also have a tone port with that price so...
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Ok so im buying this and a MIM white stratocaster if im able to bargin it for 300$. Then i'll have to stop spending my money on gear, its like a desease.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Yeah, i'll keep you updated. But after that, i'll really save up till Christmas and go on another spending spree there. Actually...i'll try.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

And JohnBryant has one, so take his advise on set up. I thought when I read the specs that it was Midi capable.

I would just use the Pod 2.0 for effects and then mic your amp like you do today and use Pod Studio as your XLR interface.

The 2.0 does have a mid it does not have a USB, the thing is most computers do not have a Midi port, but if you have a Midi port on your sound card, or an actual Midi card, I don't see why that would not work.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I can only really see two options

Guitar > POD > Amp > Mic > Mixer/Toneport

Buuuuut, it would probably be best to just plug the guitar direct into the toneport and use a programme such as Gearbox or POD Farm to get your tone, will be much higher quality than using the POD as i dont think the 2.0 is too great for direct recording, whereas the newer XT and X3 models are much more prepared for direct recording
My Gear

Guitars:
Dean Cadillac

Amp:
Marshall JVM 205H
2x12 Harley Benton Cab w/V30's