I want to try learning songs by ear for the first time and was wondering what songs you guys suggest. Obviously im looking for easy songs and all in standard tuning too plz. Thx
The first song I learned completely by ear was 6 to 8 by AFI. It's in standard tuning too.

Quote by bladedguitar66
Chords have names, not numbers....

Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 21, 2009,
Whatever songs you like. I could suggest you a bunch of songs but chances are you don't know them or like them an it'll be a complete drag for you to invest time in transcribing them. Just pick some of your favourite songs that doesn't seem too complicated.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
my first was come as you are by nirvana also easy one. actually grunge songs are quite good for learning by ear cause they arent that complicated... glycerine by bush for example is also easy to learn
songs that consist entirely of strummed chords are also good to learn by ear... take dont look back in anger by oasis or drugs dont work by the verve as examples
Quote by whoomit
Old Green Day should be easy, usually just use chords 1,4, & 5

Try learning Paranoid by Black Sabbath.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by bladedguitar66

Try learning Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

Also have numbers referring to their place withing a key, eg. chord 1 in C maj is C, 2 is Dm, 3 is Em etc.
Quote by whoomit
Also have numbers referring to their place withing a key, eg. chord 1 in C maj is C, 2 is Dm, 3 is Em etc.

Chords are written in roman numerals, probably why he was confused.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by whoomit

Yes, but you expect him to know that? And whether or not he does, he still has to figure out what key it's in...

But whatever. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by bladedguitar66
Yes, but you expect him to know that? And whether or not he does, he still has to figure out what key it's in...

But whatever. I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Meh fair enough, I'm probably over complicating...
I know a little bit of theory so i know what he meant by 1 IV V its like DGA, ADE, CFG,GCD, all those combinations, like the power chords in blitzkrieg bop
Quote by whoomit
Meh fair enough, I'm probably over complicating...

Yeah, whatever. Just don't know how much this guy knows about music.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Songs you can (pretty much) sing the guitar part too. Seriously being able to sing the guitar part will make it much easier to learn it by ear.

TRY: pop songs (be it, pop-punk, indie pop, pop-rock), Catchy/repetitive melodies, simple rhythms (can you tap along to it while doing something else like washing up?) songs you are familiar with, and songs that you accidently end up playing bits of and thinking "hey that sounds like the riff from ..." (free learnings!)

AVOID: crazy solos (rachmaninov), structuarally complicated songs (jazz, prog, rachmaninov), complicated sounding chords (rachmaninov and anything but major/minor/power chords) and songs with lots of layered instruments (...not reall rachmaninov :confused

BE PREPARED TO: get it wrong, get frustrated, get it wrong, not be able to work out some bits, get those bits wrong, feel like giving up, coming back, getting it wrong, going back to songs you know because learning by ear is hard, getting it wrong, trying again, getting it wrong and.... oh yer getting it wrong. Seriously it can be very hard, expect to be slow and need multiple attempts. Also expect to come back to stuff you tabbed out a while ago and go "wtf is this?!?" and re-do it better and quicker now you have a better trained ear.

Finally expect to have fun overall and improve
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I'd say that dammit by blink182 was the first song I figured out by ear
it's easy, repetitive, and catchy.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Don't worry about doing full songs yet (although some are simple enough for beginners), its best to start with melody only. Think of as many jingles, pop melodies or any melodies at all and figure them out and once you get good at that move on to harmony and more complex arrangements.
most green day stuff from dookie and before is pretty easy to learn by ear. try maria and she by green day. try just what i needed by the cars, try all the small things by blink 182
You have to be very familiar with it. Pick something without a solo, and just take your time working through it. You should be able to sing (vocal ability permitting) the entire song (guitar part) from start to finish before you attempt to learn it by ear.
Quote by isaac_bandits
You have to be very familiar with it. Pick something without a solo, and just take your time working through it. You should be able to sing (vocal ability permitting) the entire song (guitar part) from start to finish before you attempt to learn it by ear.

Why avoid solos? Solos are usually pretty easy to transcribe compared to harmonies (if you have a slow down tool anyway).
Quote by Flobbey
Why avoid solos? Solos are usually pretty easy to transcribe compared to harmonies (if you have a slow down tool anyway).

I assumed he would be listening to it at the full tempo, at which case solo's are just alot of notes to figure out.
I was actually learning the intro to beethoven's - fur elise today from ear, i think start off with simple riffs that you like and progress to harder and more complex things as you get better.

There's no rule that when you are learning something by ear it has to be the whole song, just take parts that are easy and you enjoy of any song and give it your best shot.