What do you think?

I love my jazz I really do and I could happily keep it for a long time. Despite this is it worth upgrading it,I was thinking maybe some Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes and a Badass II bridge or to get the fender 70s Jazz bass?

Is the fender considerably better and would it still be better than the squier if it was upgraded?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2T Dinky
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Antares 12 String Acoustic
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
To be fair, the Squier VM are fantastic basses for the price, and I myself would just upgrade it,

You could always add a Fender decal as well as the upgrades if you feel its lacking in the 'name'.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Ok I mean yeah its served me well for the last year,its had a fair bit of usage and Ive had no problems with it.

Some people complain about the action,I actually grew to like it and actually now prefer high action.

The name thing doesnt bother me anymore really. I actually think its quite cool that you can get a bass with the squier name that would make a few fender owners blush you know? lol

The only real reason I thought to maybe get the fender was Ive heard alder gives a much better tone?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
I'd say upgrade. And I'd also suggest to go with a Gotoh 201 Bass bridge (Many people hear say they are much better than Badass IIs). But if you really like the sound of an alder-bodied bass more, go with the Fender. I'd say you try one out and compare it to your Squier before making a decision though.
I do agree with the purchase for the means of an alder body.

But you can always buy a new body etc.

And make a new bass out of all the spare parts?
Thats the kind of thing I would do.
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Well the thing is Ive not played the 70s fender but I did play a mexican standard when I was looking for a bass last year and I ended up choosing the squier for all round value.

Im not sure what would the mexican standards are though.
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Quote by kingofchilis

Yeah, buy an alder body and just transfer the bridge (new or old), pickups (new or old), neck, pickguard (maybe) and control plate thingy.
Quote by kingofchilis

You know that actually occured to me....I love the body design but it did occur to me to do that,maybe from simcustom or warmoth. Then if I ever saved enough money I could get a neck and just swap the parts back (if thats what you were meaning)?

Sounds a cool idea
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
My MIM came with an ash body, but the majority of them are alder.

But they have a polyutherane finish, which isn't too good tone wise, I had to refinish mine.
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Quote by Crazy Toad
You know that actually occured to me....I love the body design but it did occur to me to do that,maybe from simcustom or warmoth. Then if I ever saved enough money I could get a neck and just swap the parts back (if thats what you were meaning)?

Sounds a cool idea

Exactly, one 'new' bass now, and a project for you to work on.
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Quote by edgeyyz
I'd say upgrade. And I'd also suggest to go with a Gotoh 201 Bass bridge (Many people hear say they are much better than Badass IIs.

Il have a look into it,also if Im keeping the Squier Id love fender style knobs and black tuning pegs and posts any idea where I could get them?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Quote by Crazy Toad
Il have a look into it,also if Im keeping the Squier Id love fender style knobs and black tuning pegs and posts any idea where I could get them?

All I can think of off the top of my head is eBay or maybe Stewmac. I got an awesome control plate with knobs and stuff off eBay but it was $140. Standard ones are probably a lot cheaper.

Here's the link to it just so you can see it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-VARITONE-5-POS-PICKUP-SW-TONE-KNOB_W0QQitemZ280387722504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4148691d08&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Here's a basic one http://cgi.ebay.com/Jazz-bass-control-plate-Chrome-pre-wired_W0QQitemZ370184302887QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5630b43127&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Black tuners http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass_tuners/1/Gotoh_Compact_Bass_Tuners.html

Those are just some ideas.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Aug 21, 2009,
Awesome thanks for the links!
Im edging towards the upgrade the bass then upgrade the body option.
Its probablies a better option because Il notice a change with every little upgrade as opposed to just buying something and accepting it the way it is
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
I'd keep the Squier, and first upgrade some of the basic stuff like pups, bridge, tuners etc. Then eventually, get a replacement body. Personally, I'd go for a maple or swamp ash body, with natural finish. I'd also have them route the bridge pup in the same place it was before (ie, 70's jazz style, which is a little closer to the bridge than other jazz basses).

Quote by Crazy Toad

Use eBay as much as possible for little things like hardware and pickups. Cheapest guitar parts around
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Aug 21, 2009,
I totally agree.

I was looking at this earlier http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=bp618&Body=2&Bass=1&Path=Body this is pretty much exactly the style and finish I want,of course the other things I would need to sort would be the finish etc... to make sure it feels as nice as my squier does in my hands.

The only problem is Im worried about how much extra the shipping charges would be.The plus is it gets shipped to newcastle which is where I live! If anyone knows of any alternatives in england which give you as much freedom to customize thatd be cool. Id rather not have to pay for shipping and other hidden taxes
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Sorry for double posting,but theres more I need to know lol.

Would I need a preamp for the Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes then?

I came under the impresssion they were passives?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Yes, they're passive
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I have modded my VM jazz with the exact same mods you were thinking

mod list -

Dropped the Dimarzio DP 149s in it (ultra jazz). They totally changed the tone in the best ways possible. More responsive, humbucking so the volume hiss goes away, and rounder tone.

Badass II bridge was placed in before the p-ups, and it great improved intonation and sustain, and to a lesser extent, action. VMs can be set up fairly good stock though. sustain is worth it imo. I have played a MIM fretless and fretted jazz both with the Gotoh bridge in question, it has good sustain with it, but the action is quite as controllable than with the BA II. Being you like high action, you can pocket lots of money and be satisfied with Gotoh methinks.

clear coated the neck. yes you read that right, polyurethane clear coat on the neck. i like it, most people don't.

lastly, plan to eventually replace tuners and hardware, so it becomes godly.

roughly $500 total spent on it after all is said and done, you should think about that and compare your prices.

EDIT - yeah the DMs are passive. I wired them right in, and if you have a decent amp head, you probably don't need a preamp. However, I know some company out there offers a bolt on vol vol tone preamp replacement. I would reccomend one with a bypass just in case.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Last edited by progbass at Aug 24, 2009,
If you love the VM then keep it and buy the fender jazz, i'm assuming you'll keep the VM and have two basses.

Plus, you've only had it for one year
progbass:That sounds awesome! Have you got any clips anywhere demonstrating it?

Bass First:I think Im just going to upgrade to be honest,but thanks for the suggestion
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
unfortunately, no I don't have clips.

However, you know that hiss you get when the volume pots are at different levels? GONE

Ever want a more responsive tone control without that treble static? GONE

Need more low end from your Jazz? GOT IT

I reccomend the ultra jazz to any and everyone
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
That sounds fantastic. When I get some money Il definately be getting most the upgrades mainly being
Ultra Jazz Pickups
Badass 2 or Gotoh Bridge
Fender knobs and black pegs

Two questions though....are the Ultra Jazz pickups really the same as the Sadowsky Humcancelling?

AND! Which preamp would be best,the Audere one looks pretty good to me but in fairness I can only judge by what I hear,also do you actually need a preamp? and if I didnt have one what difference would it make to the sound?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Quote by Crazy Toad
Two questions though....are the Ultra Jazz pickups really the same as the Sadowsky Humcancelling?

I doubt they're the SAME, but its a similar design.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by progbass
I have modded my VM jazz with the exact same mods you were thinkin

buy a $300 bass, spend $500 on improvements, what do have? a $300 bass. upgrading a low to midgrade bass is just not practical. save for a real upgrade, buy a better bass.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
buy a $300 bass, spend $500 on improvements, what do have? a $300 bass. upgrading a low to midgrade bass is just not practical. save for a real upgrade, buy a better bass.

Point taken but another view is that at least the parts have been chosen individually.Sure it may cost more than a slightly newer bass but I think it would be a nightmare trying to find a bass with the EXACT spec I wanted without spending a chaotic amount.

Also the material woods are good so theres no reason really why it couldnt be upgraded,its not like its made out of plywood or compound or something.
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

1. Sure its practical, if the wood is good (and on the Squier it is).
2. The mods should cost $250 if he uses eBay for everything
3. Even if they were $500, thats still $100 less than the Fender 70's Jazz
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Can I just ask what exactly the purpose of the control plate mentioned in one of the other posts is?
I kind of get the concept but kind of dont at the same time lol

Also Im confused do I need a preamp with the pickups or not? and what role would this new control plate play in all of that
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
^ no, you only need a preamp with active pickups.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Right thats what I originally thought
So what would the preamp do to the sound if I did put one in?
Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
It depends. If it has no eq controls (just normal tone knobs) than it will be louder. If it has a 2 or 3 band eq, it will make the bass much more versatile. I personally wouldn't go for it. If its the first type, the lack of a battery box would make changing batteries a pain in the ass, and if its the second, the only way you'd get all the controls on there would be rewire the entire thing to have concentric knobs.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Last edited by kugelspot at Aug 26, 2009,