I've been playing guitar for about 9 years, I own an Epi Les Paul Std, a MIM strat, and a Blues Junior. I'm starting college (so i don't have much money) and will definitely be playing more shows... I'm wondering if I should sell the two "meh" guitars I have and invest in a reliable (probably used), high-end professional instrument? I tend to have a love/hate relationship with my current instruments. They're good guitars but I feel like maybe I've "outgrown" them if you know what I mean.

I thought about modding them, new pickups, etc but I feel that that money could be invested in a better instrument. any advice? thanks in advance
Nothing wrong with selling two medium grade guitars and investing in a single hi-quality one!
Moving on.....
Quote by sivad21089
switch to BASS

I do, i have a P-Bass and play for various things around town

Quote by KenG
Nothing wrong with selling two medium grade guitars and investing in a single hi-quality one!

ok thanks. I need some reassurance in making sure that this wasn't a dumbass decision.
Last edited by strat335 at Aug 21, 2009,
sell the MIM strat and the epi and add in a little extra moolah and possibly get a used gibson. if u want something with single coils, u could get a high end schecter with coil-tapping so u can still have a single coil sound.

what genres do you play and do have a budget?
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
with an extra $100-200 i was thinkin of buying a used gibson. is there a certain time period where they had bad guitars that I should try to avoid?

I play lots of different music, basically anything except for country. right now i mostly play rock/alternative like Radiohead, Oasis, Foo Fighters, etc. I was thinking maybe a used SG standard

as for the budget, I'd like to use the money I sold my guitars for and maybe an extra 100-200 dollars added if I need to. I have to be careful not to spend too much, im unemployed and a student so funds will go quickly lol
Last edited by strat335 at Aug 21, 2009,
hmmm... maybe you could get a used MIA fat strat, it will have a humbucker for your more gainy sounds and the two single-coils for the softer stuff, an SG wouldn't be bad, lately Ive seen a lot of them going CHEAP at guitar center, may want to check that out. with Gibson you need to try before you buy, because there quality control is not great. I think you need to get in a store and just play around with the guitars there, look for qualitys you like in different guitars and see if there is a guitar that has all of them.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
Last edited by Blakeu224 at Aug 21, 2009,
great, thanks for all your help.

what are some things wrong with the quality control I should look for with the Gibsons? I mean, they shouldn't be as bad as some of the MIM strats, squiers, and epiphones they have on display with knobs chipped or missing, etc