i've been trying to get a decent tone out of my gear for months now with no luck, and its harsh and thin and you can't hear the notes. it's an indistinct, blurry mess.

this is my gear - epiphone les paul custom, the amp is an old laney pro-linebacker 65 solid state combo, my pedalboard consists of a boss od-2, marshall bluesbreaker 2, dunlop crybaby, behringer delay, and a danelectro flange.

at the moment, my eq settings are treble: 8, mid: 4, bass: 7, presence: 8
it's the best sound i can come up with but it's still muddy and sounds artificial and has no warmth or fullness. i play a mix of psychedelic, bluesy hard rock and goth/alternative stuff. i need a more ballsey sound, so can someone suggest me how to get my gear sounding decent? or better yet suggest replacement gear. thanks
Get better pickups, and turn your bass down.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Stop cutting mids, try downing your bass and treble a little (not too much) and raising those mids, believe me, it will sound ballsey enough.

Also, is it just when you're using your pedals or is it also on clean?
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

the clean is ok, but whenever i turn on the overdrive pedal it gets harsh and thin.
More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids More mids.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
right i did that. my new settings are treble - 7, mid - 7, bass - 4
and it definitely sounds a lot fuller. with overdrive, chords are warmer and thicker. but still when i'm playing riffs, the notes are indistinct and it sounds muddy.
anything else i can do?
^Did you try adjusting the presence?
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Try raising mids a little, and lower the pickup.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Hm, are you using your overdrive with your amp disto on? If so, maybe you should just use the amp disto or the overdrive(if I put overdrive on my amp with disto on it gets all odd-sounding and you can't pick out anything but the bass notes in chords). Epi pickups are rather muddy to my experience too, so not to just jump on it, but maybe try some new pickups?
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Ya, try lowering your pickup a little. I used to have that trouble, and it helped a lot.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
mids and bass are what makes your tone muddiest but mids and especially low mids are also what gives your sound fullness so you've got a bit of a pickle here.

imo, more mids can help if those mids are focused like say... on a Marshall where you'll get that throaty, vocal type of tone, but otherwise they can easily mud your sound up. Honestly, if you're having trouble like that, you really need to think about changing something in your setup. I'd try a few different guitars through the amp to see if that's the problem.