I'm looking at replacing both the stock humbucker and neck pickup on my hss MIM strat. I want the humbucker to be able to give some nice lead tones for metal and I want the neck to be a smooth, kind of creamy but not overdone. Price really isn't a factor but id rather not spend 7000$+ on a pickups just because its unique handwound by some man with golden balls, get it?

also, any recommendations of replacing them myself?
thanks.

edit: o, and also, I play on a Vk112, soon to have a V30 from warehouse speakers.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
Last edited by Deezy at Aug 21, 2009,
I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in mine. Trembucker or F-Spaced is what you want for a Strat. TB-11.

Neck pups, can't help as much. I like my stock SCs just fine. Air Nortons is probably what I would look at.

Have fun with your new speaker. Whole new amp bro after that swap.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in mine. Trembucker or F-Spaced is what you want for a Strat. TB-11.

Neck pups, can't help as much. I like my stock SCs just fine. Air Nortons is probably what I would look at.

Have fun with your new speaker. Whole new amp bro after that swap.

thanks for the fast reply. i'm kind of 50/50 on whether im gonna replace the neck, it's nto nearly as bad as some say, just a little noisy with too much gain. thats expected though.
im sure about getting rid of the humbucker though, just so many choices, i need some personal opinions.

and yea, ive done a whole lot of research and found that the v30 will suit me perfectly.
I would just swap the HB for now and get used to your new speaker. You may find you can wait on the neck. Get a noise gate if you think you need one. I honestly don't think they are that noisy. You can also shield the inside of your guitar cavity to reduce noise.

I also recommend calling Duncan's customer service line and talk it though with those guys. They can pull info out of you that will help you make a decision. Chances are, if you don't like it after you install it, they will advance ship you something different and you just pay the difference and send back the old. They don't sell pups directly tho. I've had nothing but very positive experiences from Duncan.

When it comes to Single Coils, another suggestion would be to contact fellow UG'r CorduroyEW. He is a luthier and hand wires his own pups.

rockmonkeyguitars.com is his web site
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would just swap the HB for now and get used to your new speaker. You may find you can wait on the neck. Get a noise gate if you think you need one. I honestly don't think they are that noisy. You can also shield the inside of your guitar cavity to reduce noise.

I also recommend calling Duncan's customer service line and talk it though with those guys. They can pull info out of you that will help you make a decision. Chances are, if you don't like it after you install it, they will advance ship you something different and you just pay the difference and send back the old. They don't sell pups directly tho. I've had nothing but very positive experiences from Duncan.

When it comes to Single Coils, another suggestion would be to contact fellow UG'r CorduroyEW. He is a luthier and hand wires his own pups.

rockmonkeyguitars.com is his web site

thanks.
i'll look into this. i'm going to browse guitar center for a little and look at some different pups
i was thinking of getting the new dimarzio crunch lab. anyone have that? would it be too much output?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Doesn't sound 'smooth and creamy' to me

honestly, never heard of it.

PM Cordy, tell him I sent you

well, it's for the bridge position, it doesn't need to be smooth and creamy.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sorry, i thought you were talking neck - my bad

it's cool bro.
so it's either the crunch lab or a paf pro from dimarzio. i'm gonna go and check up on some sound tests.
thanks for the help.
bridge pup - dimarzio d-sonic or crunchlab
neck pup - dimarzio yjm
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I don't own any strats so I cant speak on that, and I don't want to open up a can of worms here but FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE I don't like the "metal" capability (or lack thereof) of a strat, so hell I don't know maybe an active EMG in the back seat with a seymour duncan jazz in the front .
Quote by f1sk
I don't own any strats so I cant speak on that, and I don't want to open up a can of worms here but FOR MY PERSONAL TASTE I don't like the "metal" capability (or lack thereof) of a strat, so hell I don't know maybe an active EMG in the back seat with a seymour duncan jazz in the front .

if you don't own any then how would you know? not to start any drama.
anyways, the x2n sounds like another option that would work for me. i heard its a very very nice pickup and rather versatile just not for cleans. would it be too high output seeing as how its dimarzio's highest? (or so i believe)