Been playin for about 3-4 months now and have developed quite a sore wrist in the last couple of days. It's at the top of the wrist and only noticable near the end of my practice and for quite a while after my practice. Is this something I should be cautious about?

I generally play anywhere between 3-6 hours a day, every day, and have always played sitting down. I'm hoping this is just a case of bad posture and a strap ( and maybe 2-3 days off the guitar unfortunately ) will help avoid this in the future.

Any input guys?
Last edited by MechMike at Aug 21, 2009,
When playing, make sure your completely relaxed and no muscles are being strained.

The best thing to do is to stop playing if it hurts.
At first just dont play nearly as long and you wont get that sore. I used to have the same problem. Play for about an hour or so until you get used to it. Your fingers will start to get really stiff too. So just take it easy till your wrist and finger muscles get used to it. If you start to hurt just take a 15-30 min break in between. Those few things should help.
S.D.M.F.
Words Can Be Broken...So Can Bones

Cheers for the replys..... I know 3-6 hours is quite a bit for a beginner, but as I'm sure you can understand it's hard to put the thing down most of the time. Though it does make sense what you're saying.

Any thoughts on a strap possibly helping?

It pains me to think of having to cut down my practice hours.......especially as I've noticed great progress with the extra effort.
Quote by MechMike
Cheers for the replys..... I know 3-6 hours is quite a bit for a beginner, but as I'm sure you can understand it's hard to put the thing down most of the time. Though it does make sense what you're saying.

Any thoughts on a strap possibly helping?

It pains me to think of having to cut down my practice hours.......especially as I've noticed great progress with the extra effort.

Um idk i never use a strap while sitting it just gets in the way. trust me.
S.D.M.F.
Words Can Be Broken...So Can Bones

Is it your picking hand or your fret hand?
and if you play standing up raise the guitar some by adjusting the strap.

My picking wrist gets sore alot since i got my new guitar..
im hoping its just because i practice alot more now that a have a quality guitar, and not the shape of the v thats causing it.
Sounds like something that could be caused by prolonged muscle tension. So you definitely should start to really focus on having no tension in your playing, even if it means you have to drastically slow down (which is probably a good thing anyway since most new players tend to practice too fast anyway).

Also, it's really important to stretch your arms and wrists before you start to play, this will probably make a huge difference if it's not something you normally do.

Also, if you're practicing in one big 3-6 hour chunk you should separate it as much as you possibly can. 3 2 hour chunks would be good. It also gives your muscles time to learn everything you've been practicing as well. If you're playing for 6 hours straight, you'll only really benefit from the last 1-2 hours.

At minimum you should be taking 5 minutes off every half an hour as well.
Quote by Rocker396
Um idk i never use a strap while sitting it just gets in the way. trust me.

I meant get a strap and stand while I play lol
Quote by Cisc
Is it your picking hand or your fret hand?
and if you play standing up raise the guitar some by adjusting the strap.

Fretting hand
Quote by icronic
Sounds like something that could be caused by prolonged muscle tension. So you definitely should start to really focus on having no tension in your playing, even if it means you have to drastically slow down (which is probably a good thing anyway since most new players tend to practice too fast anyway).

Cheers for the advice. I think you've maybe hit the nail on the head in a back door sorta way.......in the last week I have really tried to slow down my playing quite a bit, primarily to try and get my finger independance better and try not to let them fly away from the fretboard. Which in turn, along with the long sessions, probably hasn't helped. ( My muscles have been a lot more tenser as I try to keep my fingers close to the frets. ) I think there's probably nothing else for it than a couple of weeks of shorter sessions. Also I think i'll slow down even more than I already have when doing finger independance exercises ( Trying not to tense any muscles at all. Should be easier at snail speed )

Anyhow thanks for all the replys guys. much appreciated.
Quote by Rocker396
I used to have the same problem. Play for about an hour or so until you get used to it. Your fingers will start to get really stiff too.

Originally it was the fingertips for a short period of time, now the wrist, next.... stiff fingers....................... anything else to look forward to???? lol To be honest, I get such a buzz from playing it doesn't really matter.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
For me, playing standing up hurts my wrists more than playing while sitting, just because of the awkward angle. My advice would be just to take it easy, if that means taking breaks or playing slower then I would definitely go for it. You don't want to mess yourself over in the long run.