Does anyone have any good recommendations for swapping the tubes and preamp on my vk? price isn't really an issue, but i don't really care much because it was made by some super-mocked up brand. i guess nothing to "expensive".
i play through a strat, and the vk will have a veteran 30 very soon. i play a variety of course, modern rock mostly but i love to switch to the neck pup and get some hendrix. luckily his tone isn't too demanding so i'm not much worried about that.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
I'm sure you're aware of http://tubedepot.com/ All my suggestions are for ordering from them.

In the preamp I like:

Electro Harmonix 12AX7
Mullard 12AX7
Tung-Sol 12AX7

I haven't tried any of the other brands.

For the Output Tubes JJ-Tesla is the standard around here. I really like them. They're reliable and sound good.

I don't like JJ-Tesla's 12AX7. It is too muddy and dark.
Quote by end_citizen
I'm sure you're aware of http://tubedepot.com/ All my suggestions are for ordering from them.

In the preamp I like:

Electro Harmonix 12AX7
Mullard 12AX7
Tung-Sol 12AX7

I haven't tried any of the other brands.

For the Output Tubes JJ-Tesla is the standard around here. I really like them. They're reliable and sound good.

I don't like JJ-Tesla's 12AX7. It is too muddy and dark.

thanks man i'm gonna look into those.
any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I definitely recommend Tung Sol 12ax7 tubes for the preamp.

Like it was said, JJ's seem to be the output tube standard.

If price is no problem, NOS Sylvannia 6L6 tubes are very nice in my opinion, but they will be roughly 150 for a matched set.
Quote by XgamerGt04
I definitely recommend Tung Sol 12ax7 tubes for the preamp.

Like it was said, JJ's seem to be the output tube standard.

If price is no problem, NOS Sylvannia 6L6 tubes are very nice in my opinion, but they will be roughly 150 for a matched set.

thanks. i'll probably go with the jj's and tung sol.
i can't justify 150 for tubes
I've never changed preamps before, so does anyone have any recommendation as to what i should put in each of the 3 spots?
I'm not sure which tube is which, but one should be channel 1, one will be channel 2, and another will be the phase inverter. For whichever is your overdrive channel I like the Electro-Harmonix. In the clean channel, I like the Tung-Sol. In the Phase inverter, I also like Tung-Sol.

It is best to order a couple of each brand and just play around to see what you like.

[OBVIOUS]Tone is subjective, so let your ears decide.[/OBVIOUS]
i heard the tung sol adds a bit more clarity and gain, so i was thinking it would be better off in the overdrive spot. either way, i can just switch them around and try both options.
thanks.