Very often when i tune my guitar down, strings snap. Is this normal/am I doing something wrong? Mostly this happens with my acoustic.
O.O Tune down or up? If it's tuning down, then no, that's not normal.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
its happened with me on my electric too, just dont tune down too fast. let the strings stretch to the new tension.
are you tuning by ear or with a tuner? maybe your tuning up instead of down. check to see if there are any sharp points around the nut and tuners
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
check the nut/saddle for sharp edges/burrs.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Rocketface2112
are you tuning by ear or with a tuner? maybe your tuning up instead of down. check to see if there are any sharp points around the nut and tuners

Usually with tuner and im not tuning up since I go from standard to C standard. Thanks for the help with the nut, I'll have to check that out
If you tune down too fast, if the strings are too old, or if the nut or saddle has sharp edges, the strings can snap.

1. How quickly are you down tuning?
2. How old are the strings when they snap?
3. Where do the strings snap?
Also, What kind of a guitar do you have? Does it have a tremolo (Vibrato?)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Baby Joel
If you tune down too fast, if the strings are too old, or if the nut or saddle has sharp edges, the strings can snap.

1. How quickly are you down tuning?
2. How old are the strings when they snap?
3. Where do the strings snap?

Last time it happened was today, the strings are 2 weeks old. They usually snap at the nut so that could also be the problem.
Edit: No tremolo
Very light filing. I wanna get a set of nut files just for that, actually.

And 11-52 is a better gauge for standard Or 10-52 if you prefer to go to standard tuning a lot too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
he said an acoustic so id say 12's, thats what i have on mine. but also check where the string is snapping and see if there is some issues with the frets being sharp?
~Defiant~
Oh yeah, acoustic XD Yeah man, slap some 11's or 12's on that sucker. You get better tone either way.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Maximum._.Power
Thanks Will K thats proably the problem since I tune down fast

yeah, it's happened to me like four or five times
Hey, You didn't answer my question. Do you or do you not have a tremolo? If you do you may have the tension set too high and when you have that detuning relieves tension from some strings but puts extra tension on others.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I did that a few days ago. It was pretty weird.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Yep, that's about right.
It's more common to lose a string while down tuning than up.
When the last living thing has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done. People did not like it here."
Ermm, If your tuning down, it must be pretty hard to snap the strings, at least I've never done that... are you sure your not tuning up?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
when you have your guitar in a certain tuning, then the string gets a kink at that certain point which can make it more brittle when you're tuning down/up. when you tune down/up then that kink moves and sometimes breaks. it happens to me alot too haha. you just have to be slow with it and hope it doesn't snap, or have different guitars for different tunings.