Both computers in my house are connected to the internet through this wireless broadband router. The thing is, the connection keeps failing. The router feels really warm. If I unplug it and let it sit for awhile, the connection comes back. Is this problem most likely from overheating, or something else? Also, if it is, what can I do to prevent overheating? There isn't dust or anything clogging the ventilation on it, but it has very little ventilation, so I don't think that's going to help very much. Should I set up a fan by it? It's sitting on a wooden desk, if that helps....
It's more likely a signal problem. Unplugging and plugging back in is the common treatment for anything wrong with a router, and it would be warm anyway.
I wouldn't of thought it was the heat seeing as you said it was only warm and all electrical appliances produce heat.

Also, there's a computer thread.
Quote by blue_strat
It's more likely a signal problem. Unplugging and plugging back in is the common treatment for anything wrong with a router, and it would be warm anyway.

Any idea what could be causing it to repeatedly lose it's signal though?
Quote by herby190
Any idea what could be causing it to repeatedly lose it's signal though?

thick walls, highly static air or rain thats what causes mine to go
Could people please not post jokes? I can only be on for about 40 seconds at a time right now before I have to walk down the hall and redo the router; I really don't want to waste my time reading your unfunny attempts at humor.
Quote by britishsligean
thick walls, highly static air or rain thats what causes mine to go

That seems pretty likely; the only obstacle between the two is 3-4 feet of wall (estimate), and I have no idea how much of it's hollow and how much is solid.
Quote by herby190
I'm currently spending more time offline than on because of this, and it's getting more and more frustrating by the second. Honestly, what's this thread hurting in any way, shape, or form?

It's not hurting at all, have you seen me complaining? I just suggested the computer thread because I thought it might be helpful. It's not like I reported the thread then flamed you for something that's out of your control.
did your internet provider give you anything like a "wireless manager" programme on your comp that you have to connect to ?? if so exit it and see if that makes a difference. this worked for me when it did the exact same thing... hope it helps..
Quote by funny_page
did your internet provider give you anything like a "wireless manager" programme on your comp that you have to connect to ?? if so exit it and see if that makes a difference. this worked for me when it did the exact same thing... hope it helps..

Well, we have this netgear thing that is used for the connection, but that's a program from the adapter, not the provider. We moved here recently, and just got the internet hooked up so we could both use it today. I'll have to look on the other computer, but I don't think the guy who set it up installed anything.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Wireless does that.

Thats why you buy high quality wireless equipment .

fixed