Are there any real tonal/neck/body differences from the Jem and the Prestige or is it mostly for the "Steve Vai" name?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
errr, if you are reffering to the RG prestige, then yes they are pretty similar in shape and in many cases hardware/construction etc

for one the JEM has the monkey grip, the RGs do not

Both types are quality guitars, but whereas all JEMs are built to roughly Vai's specs, ie; bolt on, basswood bodies, many prestige RGs have a variety of woods and construction types, such as mahogany neck-thrus
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Different neck, different tonal qualities, different pick-ups, different hardware, different paintjob (usually).
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Body on the jem7vwh is slightly different. Lion claw for trem. Monkey grip. already upgraded pickups. alder body as opposed to mostly basswood(with a few exceptions). But still for the price of a jem, the jcustoms are available (even cheaper) and are much nicer
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Well the RG prestige is similar to the jem due to the fact that they both have super strat bodies, but the RG has a quilt maple top with wings made of Maghoney while the Jem has Basswood. Also- the Jem has a more versitile H-S-H pickup configuration while the RG has H-H. The Jem also has scalloped frets on the upper registry, and I am pretty sure the RG doesnt.

The RG:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-RGT320Z-RS?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

The Jem
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-JEM77V-BK?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Maybe not too much difference in the standard production of JEMs...however, if you manage to steal Vai's original Jem then you will find that the neck and body both reseonate at the EXACT same frequency. That's what makes it so great a guitar. According to Vai

EDIT; sorry, not same frequency. In unison.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Aug 21, 2009,
Actually, JEMs have Alder bodies, which differs from many of the RG Prestige. Both are nice woods, you just have to know which one you prefer. Also, frets 21-24 on the JEM are scalloped, which is unavailable on the RG Prestige models. Both are great guitars, but I would say yes, you are paying a few hundred dollars for Steve's name.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
definatly tonal differences, and physical differences the jem neck is totally different measurements to the wizard neck, different woods the jem7v is a alder body whereas the rg prestige is basswood, the neck pup on the jem is installed inverted and the dimarzio evolutions are totally different tonally to the `V` series pups.

some of it is the vai name however the guitar itself is far more superior than any rg prestige i`ve played imo...
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Maybe not too much difference in the standard production of JEMs...however, if you manage to steal Vai's original Jem then you will find that the neck and body both reseonate at the EXACT same frequency. That's what makes it so great a guitar. According to Vai

no they don`t they are a 4th apart which is the same interval between two strings in standard tuning
I think the prestige has higher action and bigger frets, with no monkey grip. and the neck is a bit different.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I think the prestige has higher action and bigger frets, with no monkey grip. and the neck is a bit different.

WTF, action is player preference you can have a low action on any guitar that is setup right
Quote by ibanezgod1973
definatly tonal differences, and physical differences the jem neck is totally different measurements to the wizard neck, different woods the jem7v is a alder body whereas the rg prestige is basswood, the neck pup on the jem is installed inverted and the dimarzio evolutions are totally different tonally to the `V` series pups.

some of it is the vai name however the guitar itself is far more superior than any rg prestige i`ve played imo...

Are these stats incorrect? I thought the Jem had a basswood body and the RG had alder/maghoney...

Ibanez JEM77V Electric Guitar Specifications

* Neck - 5 piece Prestige Neck(JEM Prestige)
* Body - Basswood Body
* Frets - 6105 Frets
* Fingerboard - Rosewood
* Inlay - Pearl/Abalone Vine
* Bridge - Edge Pro Bridge
* Neck Pickup - DiMarzio Breed(H) Neck Pickup
* Bridge Pickup - DiMarzio Breed(S) Mid Pickup
* Miffle Pickup: - DiMarzio Breed(H) Bridge Pickup
* Hardware Color - Chrome

Neck Dimensions

* Scale Length: 648mm/25.5 inches
* Width at Nut: 43mm
* Width at last fret: 56mm
* Thickness at 1st Fret: 19mm
* Thickness at 12th Fret: 21mm
* Radius: 430mm

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by ibanezgod1973

These where my thoughts when i played one. It slayed my rg1570 and 770 even with upgraded pups. i was gassing for one for a long time. However the price just kept rising on them and now they are 2.5k which kinda turned me off.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
no they don`t they are a 4th apart which is the same interval between two strings in standard tuning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58Xil8RfRY

Tell that to Mr. Vai

Feels so good to have video proof i'm practically buzzing.

About 11.30 in.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Aug 21, 2009,
Oh ok. Hopefully I can find a Jem to mess around with to see if I'll like it.

And can I get more information on those "Jcustoms"?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
i`ve seen that vid a thousand times and think i`ve condened his explanation alot he talks about the guitar resonating in intervals...

@richmanofaction-they are the specs for a 77v not a 7v that you have posted
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Guitar2theface
Oh ok. Hopefully I can find a Jem to mess around with to see if I'll like it.

And can I get more information on those "Jcustoms"?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/page09_jp.php?&data_id=52&color=CL03&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=191

only available in japan, ebay stores or special online stores. All the lutheirs who work on these guitar have to have 15+ years of guitar making experience to work on them. Flawless craftmanship and some things not available on most prestige rg's. Neck is different too.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i`ve seen that vid a thousand times i misquoted him oops i hang my head in shame

@richmanofaction-they are the specs for a 77v not a 7v that you have posted

Ooo word- is there a large price difference between the two?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Monkey Grip and Lion Claw. Most JEMs are basswood and most RGs are basswood. They come with different pickups, but that shouldn't matter since they're easily replaced. The only thing that affects playability is the neck, which doesn't really matter since they're both good. Just one is made to Steve's exact specs. The quality is also the same. The main differences are aesthetic. You can get a JEM that's made of Alder. You can get a mahogany or neck-through RG. You can also get an RG with an Edge Zero, which I think is the best trem ever. Vai's Edge Pros has a few trem stabilizers in it, but the Edge Zero does that already. If you want alder, go with the JEM, if you want basswood or mahogany, go with the RG. With the JEM, you're paying for the name on the headstock. Is it worth every penny? Yes. But with Ibanez, you can get a guitar of the same quality for half the price. I wouldn't say that the JEM is overpriced in terms of what other companies put out, but it's overpriced in terms of what Ibanez puts out.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Ooo word- is there a large price difference between the two?

not reallly less than £50 difference at some stores...luckily i got mine before the price hike and paid £1599 compared to £2000 now and the rrp on them is around £2300
So there's no way to get my hands on a J Custom without buying online or going to Japan? I saw it and I really wanna try it.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Some shops might carry it used. But other than that nope. Online cost is about 1800-2200 usd. I bought mine for 1800. The closest thing to it is the new prestige that carries the edge zero trem. But even then, the j custom is mahagony body, USA dim pickups and the neck feels different.
Oh wait. I don't really want a mahogany guitar. I want alder or basswood, to contrast my Les Paul =/. So I'll see if a Jem is right for me. I'm not a fan of the scalloped frets though.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Check out the PGM's if you want a basswood guitar as well. The old pgm301 was a great guitar on part of ibanez. The new ones are still great just a little pricy.
Quote by Guitar2theface
Oh wait. I don't really want a mahogany guitar. I want alder or basswood, to contrast my Les Paul =/. So I'll see if a Jem is right for me. I'm not a fan of the scalloped frets though.

Only the last 4 frets are scalloped and it doesn't make a huge difference unless you play on the last few frets a lot.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
J. Customs are great. They're all mahogany with maple tops though. They come with the Super Wizard neck. So try out an RG3550Z or RG3570Z since they're the same neck. They also come with the same trem. The quality is better but nothing that really affects playability. They have hand-rolled frets but a lot of people never actually touch the edges of the fingerboard on Wizard necks. These days, the J. Customs are better values than the mahogany RGs. They have similar specs, but the J. Custom is higher quality. There's not a huge price difference.

Quote by satchgear
Only the last 4 frets are scalloped and it doesn't make a huge difference unless you play on the last few frets a lot.

Scalloping the last 4 frets on a guitar with large frets doesn't do much at all since you'll probably never even touch the fretboard anyway.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 21, 2009,
Idk. Like the reason I want an Ibanez (besides just getting a good guitar at least) is mostly for the Floyd Rose and something to contrast the Les Paul I got. Basswood or alder (I'd prefer alder though) preferably.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I'm pretty sure the JEM's FR is dug out pretty ****ing far and you can REALLY pull up on it.

And RG's don't have a monkey grip and have a selection of woods and neck set types.
i`ve been told you can pull up 7 semitones but i`ve never been able to, most i`ve got is 4/5 (string tension inhibits more than actually running out of room and hitting the body)

the scalloping i don`t notice when playing (doesn`t hinder playing), i find bending easier on the high frets with scalloped frets...
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Guitar2theface
Idk. Like the reason I want an Ibanez (besides just getting a good guitar at least) is mostly for the Floyd Rose and something to contrast the Les Paul I got. Basswood or alder (I'd prefer alder though) preferably.

You can get an alder bodied Carvin with OFR that IMO beats the Jem and RGs in every way, for less money.
Quote by Guitar2theface

You can also look at the Alder Bodied Jackson Soloist. It is a beautiful guitar with excellent playability, good seymour duncan pups and an original floyd rose. It is the original super strat that the Jem and RG prestige used concepts from.
The ESP Horizon is also a good choice- it has a beautiful quilted maple top, and depending on the model you can get a Floyd with EMGs or the fixed bridge duncans in blue.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
You can also look at the Alder Bodied Jackson Soloist. It is a beautiful guitar with excellent playability, good seymour duncan pups and an original floyd rose. It is the original super strat that the Jem and RG prestige used concepts from.
The ESP Horizon is also a good choice- it has a beautiful quilted maple top, and depending on the model you can get a Floyd with EMGs or the fixed bridge duncans in blue.

yeah and watch it disintergrate in a couple of weeks (i had 1,so speaking from personal experience couldn`t wait to get rid and was relieved when i did)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
yeah and watch it disintergrate in a couple of weeks (i had 1,so speaking from personal experience couldn`t wait to get rid and was relieved when i did)

Did you have a USA series Soloist, or the Japanese SL3??
Either way I am shocked it would disintegrate. What happened?
My Soloist has been rock solid thus far- best guitar I've played

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

I have never seen an Alder RG. I would have bought on if I did. Basswood and mahogany are the only woods I ever seen offered on a Jem or an RG. Linkage to an alder RG or Jem please?
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
have a look on the ibanez website

it`s the jem7vwh they redesigned it in 2004 to the current spec

Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Walnut
Neck Type: JEM Prestige
Body: Alder body
Frets: 6105 frets
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Inlay: Pearl/ Abalone Vine inlay
Bridge: Edge Pro bridge
NeckPU: DiMarzio® Evolution® DP158
MiddlePU: DiMarzio® Evolution® DPS1
BridgePU: DiMarzio® Evolution® DP159
HW Color: GD
Finishes: WH
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 22, 2009,
^wow! Didn't notice that before. I used to be afraid of basswood until I got a higher end RG Now I love the stuff.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
it`s worth mentioning that in order to prevent the grain of th alder from showing through the paint they laminate the alder with a 1mm sheet of basswood but the alder has more tonality in the guitar...
Rich has some J customs for sale. http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm#JCustoms

Quote by Guitar2theface
So there's no way to get my hands on a J Custom without buying online or going to Japan? I saw it and I really wanna try it.