Hey I've been playing electric guitar for about 2 and a half years. I know techniques and some musical theory but it seems when i practice i dont seem to be getting any better. I've been checking this site for their lessons, tips etc but I cant find the right one for me. I have been studing the blues and rock, including scales and etc. I can sit and play some songs off Pink Floyd, and other artists while listening to the cd. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin. I like some of everything except country.

Now Im confused about the following any help would be nice, Thanks.

- I dont know every note on every fret on the guitar, I need a map or picture and a way to learn them. I want to know if there's a certain way or technique i can use to help remember them.

- I keep getting confused with the circle of fifths and would like some help understanding it
- I need a better way to play and remember scales. Im practicing the blues sclaes, gypsy, and pentatonic scales.

- I need a way to figure out the flow of chords and how i should practice them.

- I need some vital musical theory lessons for the guitar any that all guitar players should know.

- I need to know what lessons and techniques on this site you used to help you improve when you felt stuck. (If you used any other websites or programs to help you that worked)

Yeah if anyone knows anything that you think will help me, Id appreciate it deeply. Thanks for your time. `
Hey man, I've been playing for two and a half years also, and I think I'm in the same exact position (but maybe for different reasons). I'm a very visual learner, and I can no longer use any tabbing programs, so I'm dead in the water. I'm pretty much stuck. I've noticed that 2 years is usually the wall for most people.

Anyway, as to remembering the notes on the fretboard, I just count. Two frets leads to another note, except between B-C and E-F. Maybe that's what you do I don't know. But I couldn't really just point to a fret and automatically know what note it is, if that's what you meen.
I agree, a guitar teacher would really help. I never had one, and I would never be able to aford one, but if you can, than that would get you over this hump.
Quote by Reighnart
I agree, a guitar teacher would really help. I never had one, and I would never be able to aford one, but if you can, than that would get you over this hump.

Yeah I cant afford one either, Yeah thanks dude that helps some. I dont kno, I think if you knew all the notes on each fret you'd be able to scale it more affectively. you feel me?? Is that right? lol
Try John Petrucci's rock discipline DVD
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
sounds like you just need to learn theory, i dunno how much you know.
but both the circle of fifths and memorizing fretboard wont help you that much unless you know how scales are constructed
musictheory.net helps alot
it starts with reading sheet music which is intimidating, but you just got to keep at it.
google anything that doesnt make sense.
again, im only guessing at where you are on theory :/
but this all helped me alot, and to be able to improv and figure out scales on my own when i need to, and also find the keys of songs, hope it helps
Roy Clark had something years ago that would have been great for you.
He had these lil labels you could stick on your frets.
Maybe a fret-light guitar would be another option.
well im a teacher so ill try and give you some help for free!

- I dont know every note on every fret on the guitar, I need a map or picture and a way to learn them. I want to know if there's a certain way or technique i can use to help remember them.

GET ADVANCED FRETBOARD TRAINER
Vertically make mneumonic phrases up
eg

fret 0 elephants and dogs grow big ears

fret 5 all day ginger cats eat apples

horizontally memorise E string very well even put stickers next to the frets Fret2Fsharp
then you can think in terms of octaves eg you know 5 on E is A so 7 on Dstring is A

memorise the notes in chords ACE CEG etc

play scales with least amount of sharps eg Cmajor fret 8 and SAY THE NOTES WHILE YOU PLAY then play G on fret 3 watching out for the f sharps which is related to ciircle of 5ths

- I keep getting confused with the circle of fifths and would like some help understanding it

forget about the circle initially. remember the rhyme

father charles goes down and ends battle

which refers to the amount of sharps in a major key (except F which has a flat so ignore it)

so C has O G has 1 etc etc

the way you know what notes are sharpened is in the order of the rhyme

so key of Charles has O
key of Goes has 1 WHICH IS Father
key of D already we know has Father and also has Charles
key of A already we know has Father and Charles and adds Goes!

work on this then look at the minors going back the way then apply the circle then look at minors

- I need a better way to play and remember scales. Im practicing the blues sclaes, gypsy, and pentatonic scales.

stick to one scale for weeks going over AGAIN AND AGAIN!

improvise WITHOUT using pentatonic shape 1 at all

you dont need to know every shape in the world just work your way up the neck for example E pentatonic a way of breaking through scales and playing all over the fretboard (which is your main goal)

-----------------------------------10-12
-------------------------8-10-12---------
---------------------7-9-----------------
--------------5-7-9------------------------
---------5-7----------------------------------
0-3-5-7--------------------------------------

contains all the notes in 3 octaves of the Epentatonic scale so learn that

Caged system...also helps with scales

- I need some vital musical theory lessons for the guitar any that all guitar players should know.

Music theory-the beginning on UG lessons

you must know your intervals instantly eg you know from your A5 powerchord that the fret 7 you are playing is a perfect 5th (and you will know the note from the fret memorisation and circle of fifths)

- I need to know what lessons and techniques on this site you used to help you improve when you felt stuck. (If you used any other websites or programs to help you that worked)

just learn varied songs and solos. dont do marty friedman stuff yet stick to slower easier stuff nothing else matters solo, november rain, unforgiven...and try to find solos with varied techniques

DO NOT NEGLECT ARPEGGIOS. Transposable 3 octave arpeggios to get you smoothly round the neck and save practice time.

Post vids of your playing here and on youtube for free advice

Have your guitar to hand always if i have to go the other side of the room and play in a corner i wont be practicing for 20 hours a week. I watch tv and run scales to help muscle memory without being bored.

Yeah if anyone knows anything that you think will help me, Id appreciate it deeply. Thanks for your time. `

You owe me £20!
Last edited by Serg1 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Serg1

get ADVANCED FRETBOARD TRAINER

eg

horizontally memorise E string very well even put stickers next to the frets Fret2Fsharp
then you can think in terms of octaves eg you know 5 on E is A so 7 on Dstring is A

play scales with least amount of sharps eg Cmajor fret 8 and SAY THE NOTES WHILE YOU PLAY then play G on fret 3 watching out for the f sharps which is related to ciircle of 5ths

which refers to the amount of sharps in a major key (except F which has a flat so ignore it)

so key of Charles has O

work on this then look at the minors going back the way then apply the circle then look at minors

you dont need to know every shape in the world just work your way up the neck for example E pentatonic a way of breaking through scales and playing all over the fretboard (which is your main goal)

you must know your intervals eg you know from your A5 powerchord that the fret 7 you are playing is a perfect 5th (and you will know the note from the fret memorisation and circle of fifths)

just learn varied songs and solos. dont do marty friedman stuff yet stick to slower easier stuff nothing else matters solo, november rain, unforgiven...and try to find solos with varied techniques

DO NOT NEGLECT ARPEGGIOS. Transposable 3 octave arpeggios to get you smoothly round the neck and save practice time.

You owe me £20!

wow you are awesome.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Quote by mattbellamee
wow you are awesome.

haha cheers thats made my day
fat cows get down and eat beans
bead gcf ( greatest common factor )
Quote by Serg1

eg

so key of Charles has O

you must know your intervals instantly eg you know from your A5 powerchord that the fret 7 you are playing is a perfect 5th (and you will know the note from the fret memorisation and circle of fifths)

Have your guitar to hand always if i have to go the other side of the room and play in a corner i wont be practicing for 20 hours a week. I watch tv and run scales to help muscle memory without being bored.

You owe me £20!

Wow. Your a good teacher. You should contribute to UG
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Wow. Your a good teacher. You should contribute to UG

yeah im doing some videos for UG and youtube just now
been playing for 8 months to learn the notes all the notes on all the frets just find all the a notes....and play all the a notes for maby a week or two a few times during each practice then all the b notes then all the c notes ect ect ect and just work your way through em I managed to memories all of them in 2 months doing that and I knows em cold :p
Quote by Serg1

eg

so key of Charles has O

You owe me £20!

Damn dude. Thanks! Thats badass you answered all of my questions. hell yeah im gonna do exactly what u asked me to do man. I'll let you know how it goes man.
Quick other question...Should I be using a metronome?? I Play with the song and im almost on time exactly, is that supposed to help your timing and make it easier for you to hit the notes within the time signature?????
*Edited/Removed due to high stupidness/tiredness error*
Last edited by RDSElite at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Guitarphoenix77
Quick other question...Should I be using a metronome?? I Play with the song and im almost on time exactly, is that supposed to help your timing and make it easier for you to hit the notes within the time signature?????

Absolutely practice with a metronome. It'll give you better timing and make you much more accurate and capable when used properly with exercises.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by Guitarphoenix77

Yes and yes.

Without a metronome you have no guide. When a drummer speeds up ever so slightly very slowly this is an example of what happens when you dont use a metronome when you practice..

The other application for it is speeding up. The metronome is your speedometer. You cant gradually speed up without it (which is what you have to do to play things cleanly). Literally sit there with a lick or scale at 100bpm then increase by a few bpm 2 or 3 until you get to a good tempo you are happy with.
Quote by Serg1
Yes and yes.

Without a metronome you have no guide. When a drummer speeds up ever so slightly very slowly this is an example of what happens when you dont use a metronome when you practice..

The other application for it is speeding up. The metronome is your speedometer. You cant gradually speed up without it (which is what you have to do to play things cleanly). Literally sit there with a lick or scale at 100bpm then increase by a few bpm 2 or 3 until you get to a good tempo you are happy with.

If he really wants to develop a great picking technique, he should start much slower than 100BPM. If you've never played with a metronome before, 50BPM is a good all-around starting point.

As for learning your note names, it mostly just takes time and a lot of memorizing.
However, a very helpful thing to learn that would help you with this and several other things would be to learn all of your chord inversions on the e, B, and G strings.
Then you take them and start making chord progressions out of them.

If you don't know what an inversion is....learn/
Quote by WalkinDude91
If he really wants to develop a great picking technique, he should start much slower than 100BPM. If you've never played with a metronome before, 50BPM is a good all-around starting point.

As for learning your note names, it mostly just takes time and a lot of memorizing.
However, a very helpful thing to learn that would help you with this and several other things would be to learn all of your chord inversions on the e, B, and G strings.
Then you take them and start making chord progressions out of them.

If you don't know what an inversion is....learn/

No because its much easier for beginners to double up on the metronome so 50 would be 100 and he would be still using 8th notes just hitting one per beat or whatever.
Quote by Damius
fat cows get down and eat beans
bead gcf ( greatest common factor )

father charles etc works backwards tho so its sometimes preferred