please help me.

i have been running the 8ohms speaker on my B-52 on a 16ohms setting since fucking JUNE!

i just realized this as i looked in the back of my amp.

realistically, how bad is this?
and what damage, if any, have i cause to the amp or the speaker itself?
you sir, failed
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Its not bad to run higher ohms to lower ohms. I think. Don't quote me on that though.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by AmericanParadox
you sir, failed

i took it to a friends house to jam and i hooked it up to his 16ohms cab.
then when i went home, i totally forgot about it and just played like usual since then.
Quote by Steeze
i took it to a friends house to jam and i hooked it up to his 16ohms cab.
then when i went home, i totally forgot about it and just played like usual since then.

oh, well that's a different story then. We all forget stuff. Don't worry, i think its not that bad. Just switch it back to 8ohms though.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
oh, well that's a different story then. We all forget stuff. Don't worry, i think its not that bad. Just switch it back to 8ohms though.

yeah i immediately switched it back.

good thing i didn't burn out anything on the inside!

Quote by Natrone
Its not bad to run higher ohms to lower ohms. I think. Don't quote me on that though.

google tells me:

16ohms cab taking a 8ohms amp is ok.

however,

an 8ohms speaker taking a 16ohms amp is bad and puts stress on the amp and its components.

good thing i was running mostly at low volumes!
Last edited by Steeze at Aug 21, 2009,
it's not bad to run lower OHMs into higher OHMs (8->16), but it is terrible to run higher OHMs into lower OHMs (16->8). to smplify, OHMs is a load. whatever load is marked on a speaker/cabinet is the maximum capacity it can handle. so, if you have a 16 OHM cab, it can run anything below it. the biggest problem you'd get from running a lower load that your amp will be quieter, since it can't push enough to reach the maximum load.

now if you're running a 16 OHM amp into a 8 OHM cab, this is where things can go bad. it's like trying to carry an 18 wheeler's cargo in your mom's mini van. get the picture? this is where your amp can get messed up because there is not enough resistance to match the head.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Lucky nothing blew up. With my sh*t luck my house would have caught on fire.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
If you ran the amp at 16 and the cab at 8, you could've seriously ****ed up the output transformers and I'm surprised you didn't.

If you ran the amp at 8 and the speakers at 16, you're fine
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by Steeze
please help me.

i have been running the 8ohms speaker on my B-52 on a 16ohms setting since fucking JUNE!

i just realized this as i looked in the back of my amp.

realistically, how bad is this?
and what damage, if any, have i cause to the amp or the speaker itself?

Oh son...
well the amp still works fine.

and im currently in the process of changing tubes (which i am having trouble with)

and yes i did run a 16ohms load into a 8ohms speaker.

mostly was at low volumes. so i guess im REALLY lucky!
This makes me wonder, do newer tube amp designs have safety features to prevent amps from going bad from mismatched ohms or running them without a load?

I always hear the same stories from people but NEVER hear about an amp being broken as a result.

I ran my B-52 AT-100 without a load for a half hour turned all the way up and it still works fine.

Maybe these problems people speak of were a just a problem with older equipment?
"teh most gains"
You're good as long as you don't go BELOW the amp's rated output impedance (the value of the speaker that should be connected to it).

So if you've got 16 ohms and you should only have 8 ohms, no biggie. you just lose wattage and efficiency (and thus output).

However, if you should have 8 ohms but use 4 ohms, damage can occur.

edit: if it's a tube amp, don't ever EVER mis-match speaker impedances. EVER.
Meh, some amp builders argue that one step of mismatch in any direction is not gonna cause a huge explosion (of course, it's "safer" with higher end amps with better parts). But generally it's best to never run a mismatch.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by AmericanParadox
Lucky nothing blew up. With my sh*t luck my house would have caught on fire.

ya know when an amp blows its not really gonna literally explode like a bomb right? sure it might smoke, but unless the amp is flat up against your wall AND you've doused your walls in gasoline i dont think ya gotta worry:P
I ran my B-52 AT-100 without a load for a half hour turned all the way up and it still works fine.

Forgive me if I get this wrong,but this means you ran your amp without a speaker of any kind for half an hour with the volume maxed?
If that's the case,lord you must have been slow to have realised there was nothing actually happening,lol.
I did that once on my amp,but it only took me about 30 seconds to work out that I had unplugged the head before to run a different head and forgotten to plug it back in.Thank god it was fine afterwards.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Just don't be so forgetfull and don't do it next time?
If there isn't a problem why are you asking for a solution?
Simply just don't run off-impedance loads.