So I have some spare tuners, pickups, pots and a bunch of scrap wood, so I'm going to attempt to build a table top slide guitar just for some practice using the saw and router and applying finishes.

For wood, I was thinking of a 1 piece unit cut out of a 2"x6" pressure treated deck wood we have lots of kicking around. For the fret board, I'm just going to use a thin piece of laminate we have over top of the fret board area and score or paint on some lines since the bridge will be about 3/8" above the board, there won't be any fretting. I'm going 25.5" scale so I can line it up to my guitar and copy the fret positions.

My question is, will using a solid piece of wood allow for the neck to warp too much? Again, since there is no fretting, it doesn't have to be super straight. Could I strengthen the wood by routing out a chamber under the fretboard area and just gluing a solid rod or piece of small copper pipping down the center? I"m trying to do this build for 0 dollars and something fun, so I don't want to buy a trussrod or anything. Just not sure if the wood would be strong enough. It seems so, its a solid hard piece of wood to cut through and my test mock up with 2 strings handled fine, but I plan on going 6 strings.

Anyways, here's a mockup and I plan on doing this over the weekend, so I'll have some pics of the process and hopefully a decent finished project. Still no idea on headstock shape though.

Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Anyone have any ideas/suggestions about the neck?
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
With all six strings, the wood WILL warp. My diddley bow warps ever so slightly from just one string. You're gonna want some kind of reinforcement.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Ok, I'll see what I can do. I have to have some thin round metal out in the garage somewhere. lol. I'm wondering I should it from the back, install some sort of rod in there, glue it in and cover up the channel.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Also, you really won't need a separate fretboard.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Its' not going to be a separate fretboard, just a thin piece of a laminate that will go over top of the wood for a contrast.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Oh okay well that sounds fine then. What are you planning on using as the bridge?

As far as improvised instruments go (if that's what you're going for) a pony bottle of rolling rock works wonders
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Copper tubing for the bridge and nut. They'll be the same height across and it actually resonated a bit on my test board and added a nice sound to it. The strings will sit around 3/4" off the board.

Yes, this is just something to build with parts I have laying around and something to do for a few days.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
In that case you're gonna want to file some notches in those pipes. For my diddley bow Just one string was sliding all around. You're gonna be a mess with 6 unless you put the notches in.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

That's what I was planning, filing some notches in it with a jigsaw blade and smoothing them out with some sandpaper.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
That's what I was planning, filing some notches in it with a jigsaw blade and smoothing them out with some sandpaper.

Bud, go buy a file. I can't imagine building anything with out a set of files.

I understand the concept of not spending any money on this build, but I think you should consider spending some money. A really half assed build won't get you very experienced. Instead, investing a little bit can really improve the over build quality. Hell, you may even be left with a playable product.

Also, gluing copper pipe as some sort of truss rod, I don't know if it'll work. Take a piece of copper pipe and bend it in your hands, the stuff is about as strong as a wet spagetti noodle.
We have a bunch of files in the garage, so I'll use those instead of a blade, that was more just thinking out loud that I plan on notching my 'bridge' and 'nut' to keep the strings in place. I think we have some solid metal rods rather than copper pipe and I'll probably use that instead. I'll probably just go a square shape for now too, as this will be my first build for anything instrument related. I was actually already thinking of taking two boards, hollowing them out with the router and then gluing them together to make it more of a hollow body type. I don't know, just playing around and bored, but thanks for the suggestions.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
I was actually already thinking of taking two boards, hollowing them out with the router and then gluing them together to make it more of a hollow body type. I don't know, just playing around and bored, but thanks for the suggestions.

The wood you're working with I assume is pressure treated pine. It's usually flat sawn too. Hollowing it out, would make it extremely weak. If anything, cut strips and laminate them so they are similar to being quarter sawn. It wouldn't be a half bad idea to make the body a little thicker.

I think there is a lot left out in this build. Consider the weakness of the wood and quality of materials. Once you've done that, you can pretty much build a guitar out of garbage.... or glass.