No, provided that you do some minor truss rod adjustments. It's not that hard, but don't think you need to crank it, maybe 1/2 a turn is enough, if not less.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dont turn 1/2 a turn at a time, that may damage the neck actually. Try to stick with 1/8 to a maximum of 1/4 turn. Mark the original position of the truss rod down with pencil. Wait a day for the neck to settle before turn the truss rod again.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Maybe - what kind of guitar do you have? I use .011s on my Fenders, Gretches and Gibson Les Pauls. My Gibson SGs, Rickenbackers and Gibson ES-330 prefer .010 gauge.
Quote by aiur55
dont turn 1/2 a turn at a time, that may damage the neck actually. Try to stick with 1/8 to a maximum of 1/4 turn. Mark the original position of the truss rod down with pencil. Wait a day for the neck to settle before turn the truss rod again.

A day?!?!

I have a Fender/Squier Strat.
I would not do it on a Squier. I ruined a Squier doing this about 12 years ago. Neck bowed, couldn't correct with adjustment and even after I went back to .010s I could never get it right.

The low end Fenders (Squier and MIM/Asia) are made from low grade wood and it's not made from wood capable of handling the pull.

People will tell you otherwise but I'm speaking from experience - best of luck.
if its going to snap on 11's better it snaps and just get a new guitar because 11's with standard tension is pretty generic its a little tighter but seriously if it cant handle 11's thats pathetic.
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Aug 21, 2009,
I previously used .12s on a MIM Strat, neck adjustments worked fine, neck didn't bow nor was the intonation far out (and it wasn't perfect prior to the gauge change, later fixed). As has been said, truss rod adjustments.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by aiur55

No, that's all it needs. I wouldn't recommend more than a quarter turn at a time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Squier Necks are pretty good, my guitar's body is actually pretty nice, just the electronics and hardware were junk but since I switched them out it's a pretty good guitar.
Ive never ajusted anything when changing tunings andf my les pauls fine
Gingers Unite
I play 11's in standard on all my guitars, so it should be fine, provided you do some minor adjustments as mentioned by others.