hello. i'm in a tech metal band and looking for ways to make dissonant chords. any help? i like how psyopus sounds with chords so i'd like to take it in that direction.
Quote by notaclevername
hello. i'm in a tech metal band and looking for ways to make dissonant chords. any help? i like how psyopus sounds with chords so i'd like to take it in that direction.

Use dissonant intervals.

m2 tritone M7 ect.....

in general though.... sit down with your guitar, and use your ear to find something that sounds appropriate.

If you can't do that, you need to get more experience as a player (learn listen to and play LOTS of music).

Studying theory will help you out as well.

^ those aren't shortcuts btw. You have to be willing to put in the time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 21, 2009,
Try adding Minor 2nds/Major 7ths and Tritones randomly in your chords. Also, Minor 3rd relationships are preferable to Major 3rd relationships. Perfect 5ths are very consonant, so remove them to leave more dissonance or add them to because more consonant.
Quote by notaclevername
what is and how do i make a tritone?

A #4 or b5.

it is 6 semitones from your root and is halfway between the root and octave.

So the tritone of E is Bb/A#
Often when I want something dissonant, I look at where it is moving, and then select each individual note in the chord, so that it will resolve where I want it to go. Or I already know the sound I want, and then its fairly easy to find all the required notes.