im having a problem. because i can tremolo pick really well but when i try to speed pick in solo's and what not and try to do it fast it becomes super sloppy and sounds like a jumbled mess. i know its my picking hand cuz my fret hand is super fast compared to it. i can do it alright on a single string but when i bring it to moving between even 2 strings it becomes too messy. ive practiced it and built up speed but it still sounds like a mess.
so i was wondering if anyone got any excercises or tips id greatly appreciate it
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
try doing some economy picking exercises.
EDIT:this is a good lesson
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
Last edited by caught22 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by kaos572
im having a problem. because i can tremolo pick really well but when i try to speed pick in solo's and what not and try to do it fast it becomes super sloppy and sounds like a jumbled mess. i know its my picking hand cuz my fret hand is super fast compared to it. i can do it alright on a single string but when i bring it to moving between even 2 strings it becomes too messy. ive practiced it and built up speed but it still sounds like a mess.
so i was wondering if anyone got any excercises or tips id greatly appreciate it

Then you built up your speed too quickly and didn't perfect it at the slower speeds. Don't try to rush ahead without being able to play perfectly slow.

Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
and im guessing chances are your tremolo picking comes from tensing your arm up until it vibrates

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Tremolo picking has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you can play single notes so forget all about that. Likewise there's not really any such thing as "speed picking", just picking. You shouldn't be doing anything different when playing fast...if you are it's because you're not capable of playing that fast yet and are losing control. Keep doing that and you'll never get any better, all you're doing is teaching yourself to play badly.

Forget about speed, and instead concentrate on playing accurately, in sync anc keeping your movements economical and controlled. If you do that speed will take care of itself but you have to be patient - it takes a long time, as in months and years, not days or weeks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you suck slow and get faster you'll just suck faster.

in other words, perfect your technique slowly and gradually get faster, speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by steven seagull
Tremolo picking has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you can play single notes so forget all about that. Likewise there's not really any such thing as "speed picking", just picking. You shouldn't be doing anything different when playing fast...if you are it's because you're not capable of playing that fast yet and are losing control. Keep doing that and you'll never get any better, all you're doing is teaching yourself to play badly.

Forget about speed, and instead concentrate on playing accurately, in sync anc keeping your movements economical and controlled. If you do that speed will take care of itself but you have to be patient - it takes a long time, as in months and years, not days or weeks.

Well said. The main difference is that it is about 100 times harder to cross strings well at speed than pick on a single string. There are a whole bunch of skills involved in that. As Steven/Mark said, work on those, and the speed will come as a by product of having improved those skills.
I'm guessing you tremolo with your elbow? That's bad. Don't do it. Your wrist can do it better and faster.
Quote by Geldin
I'm guessing you tremolo with your elbow? That's bad. Don't do it. Your wrist can do it better and faster.

that sounds like it would be hard...lol