Alright guys, I am in the final stages of finding a new amp to take with me when I leave for college. I desperately need to get away from the G-DEC, so I've been looking around. In my search, I've turned up two finalists for my rig: a Vox VT30 or Blackstar HT-5 combo.

First off, does anyone see any serious flaws in either of those amps for a dorm-room practicing scenario? I can see myself possibly gigging in the future, but those would be either small gigs or I'd mic it up. I know the VT30 has a built-in attenuator so I can turn it down to ~1w for practicing, and it also has a headphone jack for practicing. I guess my real question is, would the Blackstar be practical in that situation? I've tried both of them and obviously the Blackstar sounds pretty amazing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price and possible bother to other people. So what would GG&A reccomend?

tl;dr: Vox VT30 or Blackstar HT-5 for a college dorm? And why?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
yes, you can turn the vox down to 1w, but it doesnt really matter seeing as it's solid state, and so sounds pretty much the same at any volumr. go with the blackstar.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
I'm just concerned about the volume level. I know tube amps sound better cranked, but will the Blackheart be too loud?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
a cornford harlequin would be great but its probably not in your budget. otherwise i would stick with the ht-5.
College dorms are a terrible place to play music. Some even have rules that you can't plug in anything beyond computers and simple appliances without being harangued by the RA. these people have no lives and want to spoil yours. i would move out of the dorm after year one and buy an amp that you don't have to play secretly.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Quote by Bosswagon
College dorms are a terrible place to play music. Some even have rules that you can't plug in anything beyond computers and simple appliances without being harangued by the RA. these people have no lives and want to spoil yours. i would move out of the dorm after year one and buy an amp that you don't have to play secretly.

Seriously? I've heard this from another person before but I didn't believe him. Luckily I won't have to deal with it but that sucks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
When I lived in the dorms I had a Marshall MG (lol), Crate Blue Voodoo 120W Tube head, and Guitar Rig 2.

I pretty much only played Guitar Rig. If the roommate needed silence, I used headphones.

I would go with the blackstar. IMO its a better amp. Dorms are temporary.
Quote by Bosswagon

I would, but at my college we're required to be in the dorms for the first two years. However, we do have music practice rooms in the dorms. So I can use those.

The question, really, is this. Will the Blackstar be too loud? Because I really like the Vox too, and I'd gladly take that unless there's a problem.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
If you have music practice rooms, I think either amp would work. Buy whichever suits you the best, and tell the dorm people to kiss your ass because you don't care about their stupid rules because that is the first step toward being a rock and roll machine
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Quote by Bosswagon
If you have music practice rooms, I think either amp would work. Buy whichever suits you the best, and tell the dorm people to kiss your ass because you don't care about their stupid rules because that is the first step toward being a rock and roll machine

lol then they will tell you to kiss their fines, withhold your transcript, and put a lock on your registration
The HT-5 has a headphone jack if you really need it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The HT-5 does gave a speaker emulated line out. You could get this and something like the Line6 Toneport or IK Stealthplug, have your tone in your headphones, and be able to record.
Cool, thanks a lot guys! Now that I know that either would work, I just have to decide which I like better. Oh, the decisions...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
HT-5 or POD
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I have a blackheart little giant. It's all tube and 5 and 3 watt switchable. From my personal experience, I consider it way way too loud to take to my apartment that I will be moving into this weekend. I'm actually not supposed to take any amplifiers or electric guitars, but I have a headphone amp that I plan on using. My little giant is actually too loud to play cranked at my house when people are home. I have hardwood floors and without carpet, it's going to be louder. I would suggest a modeling device like a pod, but that's just my $0.02

Good luck in your school
Last edited by rockadoodle at Aug 21, 2009,
Vox AmPlug? Just plug your headphones in, no disturbance at all!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by mespinos
lol then they will tell you to kiss their fines, withhold your transcript, and put a lock on your registration

that's what your parents want you to think. it is simply not true. you will earn their respect and they won't bother you anymore with their rules that don't apply to rock and roll machines.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ