It's not just Marshall and EQ with strat. There is something going on there and I want to know. Anyone have the truth out there? I think Yngwie gets a similar tone as well. I have owned many Marshall's and many strats, tried all sorts of effects and variable configurations. I just dont get it. Its so warm, I am so jealous of that sound.
A longtime user of the fire-breathing 200-watt Marshall Major, Blackmore’s secret weapon (aside from the occasional wah-wah), was an old Aiwa reel-to-reel tape recorder. Since 1970, the Sorcerer of the Strat would plug his ax directly into the recorder’s input, and with the machine kept paused in “record” mode, use it as a preamp to kick his Marshalls into high gear. “The Aiwa gives me a fatter sound,” says Blackmore. “If I don’t use it, the tone is too shrill. I find it very difficult to play without it. It’s become this little soul on the side of the stage—like my little friend.” Currently, Blackmore endorses the Austrian-built ENGL Ritchie Blackmore Signature 100 amplifier.

hmm, not sure bout dat....
Last edited by Damius at Aug 21, 2009,
People like Ritchie Blackmore, Van Halen, Mark Knopfler...etc have a special tone not because of there gear, but because of there playing styles. Ritchie was and is a finger picker, like Mark Knopfler. You cannot achieve his sounds if you do not play in the same style as him, thats just how it is.
There's alot of stuff. Mainly it's volume though. You're never gonna get his tone at low volumes. And like TheCalvinator said, alot of it has to do with his style. Those old Marshalls really adapt to your pick attack and the like. And , I thought he started using the Aiwa in the late 70s? And his Marshall is modded to put out about 270 watts RMS and close to 500 cranked But if you've got a 70s style Strat, a Marshall Major, a couple of 4X12s, the modded Aiwa and a Dallas Rangemaster, you should be able to get pretty close.

EDIT: And I totally get what you said about his tone. I love it. Me and my guitar teacher used to talk about it alot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Damius
It's not just Marshall and EQ with strat. There is something going on there and I want to know. Anyone have the truth out there? I think Yngwie gets a similar tone as well. I have owned many Marshall's and many strats, tried all sorts of effects and variable configurations. I just dont get it. Its so warm, I am so jealous of that sound.
Have you owned any early '70s Marshall super leads or Majors? They are very different from your typical run of the mill Marshall JCM
Well I have never owned a major to be honest, but I used to rehearse at a studio in Chicago where we had almost every other type of Marshall. The tape thing is wild. I used to play thru an old minus noise mixer for preamp years ago for somewhat of the same reason, but never got the warm tone he gets. It really stands out in the Rainbow song "Power"
very warm yet dirty , you guys know what Im talking about. Thanks for the info. Now I am itching to get my hands on a Marshall major.
A big part of it is technique, the way you play dicatates how you'll sound, and everyone is different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Damius

So does Randy Rhodes!

Seriously no, guitar pro real sounds engine is crap really.

He did say he loved AC30 amps...
Quote by stykerwolf
So does Randy Rhodes!

Seriously no, guitar pro real sounds engine is crap really.

He did say he loved AC30 amps...

RHOADS. dear god why does everyone spell it like that.

And his tone wasn't warm..? It was like "crushed glass"..in a good way of course.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412