Yep, I'm looking to upgrade my home set up, but I can't find any company that produces a low wattage valve/hybrid head/combo. I'm currently using a little 15 watt Laney, wich is more than enough volume wise, but just doesn't reach what I'm looking for sonically (it's solid state & overdrive is set up to make my hybrid heads valve section distort, so you can imagine what happens), I can't use my hybrid head for home practice, as it, along with me cab are at the studio we practice at.
So, can anyone think of anything that would be useful? Or something I should look into.
ATM I can only think of one solution, get a small valve guitar head (IE Blackstar HT-5) & run that into a small bass cab (like a 1x12, or 2x12).
There are no small, cheap bass tube amps. The only way to do it would be to get a small guitar tube amp head and run it with a bass cab but you probably won't get a very bassy tone at all. Other than that you'd have to go SS.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
... you could. but if it's a guitar preamp it'll still,most likely, suck your lowend out of your tone.

Remember that you shouldn't plug a preamp into a regular input. it will slowly(or quickly depending on how high you have the preamp turned up) damage the preamp in the combo amplifier. Either effects loops in or power amp in will work fine.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Yes. that'd be perfectly safe. remember that the entire eq on the amp you're going into the effects loop of will be bypassed. volume knobs and all. It'll be like running the volume on full on the amp and you choose the volume on the preamp.

Remember that a SS amplifier is always running it's power amp at full. the master volume knob actually decreases the signal that goes into the power amp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
If I was going to run a valve pre-amp into the fx loop on my practice amp, I'd need a new amp because my Laney doesn't have an fx loop, so say running a MarkBass Momark T1M into the fx loop of a half decent small wattage amp would effectivly make it a hybrid amp, instead of a solid state? Now that's something VERY useful.

@Mutant Corn - I do have a very good overdrive pedal, but it's designed to work with valves & sounds terrible & clippy with a solid state amp.