Looking to play music similiar to bands like Orchid, Saetia, Ampere, mewithoutYou (circa AB Life), etc. Plan on using dynamics a lot.

If you don't know who the bands I mention sound like, then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgWKwkunV0M gives a good idea

I was looking at a Crate FW65 for 300$ or an Orange Crush 30R for 200$... my price limit is 300$, so if you guys know of any amp better than these two than please tell me... Whichever amp I get will be used for both practice and gigging.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Last edited by JustMimes at Aug 21, 2009,
i've never heard of that crate before but the crush most definetely will not cut it for what you want.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
i've never heard of that crate before but the crush most definetely will not cut it for what you want.

Any idea of an amp in that price range that might then?
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
you'll definetely need it for gigging ? $300 is a pretty low budget for a gig worthy amp, but you could probably pick up something like a b-52 at112. not sure how much they're going for new now a days, but used you should be able to get one in your budget.
Thanks for the answers so far..

Quote by mikeyElite
you'll definetely need it for gigging ? $300 is a pretty low budget for a gig worthy amp, but you could probably pick up something like a b-52 at112. not sure how much they're going for new now a days, but used you should be able to get one in your budget.

Well, if gigging is tooo restrictive, how about just simply being loud enough for practicing with other people?
Quote by mikeyElite

used maby but not new

you can get the Peavey Bandit for $300 80watts and high gain and to be honest one of the better sounding ss amps in the price range

edit: Vypyr 75 is also $300 but the foot switch is another $100 but not necessary unless you're playing shows
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
used maby but not new

you can get the Peavey Bandit for $300 80watts and high gain and to be honest one of the better sounding ss amps in the price range

edit: Vypyr 75 is also $300 but the foot switch is another $100 but not necessary unless you're playing shows

I was actually about to ask sounded better, Vypyr or Bandit... the Vypyr has a built in Tuner which seems pretty nice considering a chromatic tuner is 100$ anyway isnt it?
Quote by JustMimes
I was actually about to ask sounded better, Vypyr or Bandit... the Vypyr has a built in Tuner which seems pretty nice considering a chromatic tuner is 100$ anyway isnt it?

for a chromatic tuner pedal, yeah around there. you can get a handheld one for around $20 though.
Quote by JustMimes

the Vypyr series is basically modeling versions of the Transtube series which the Bandit is a part of so they are both great sounding amps as far as ss amps go

considering the added effects, tuner and such, a drop of 5 watts and an extra $100 for the footswitch isn't bad, pluss the Vypyr 75 has a power sponge so you can drop it down to 7.5 watts or anywhere in between for bedroom practice

personally, i'd go with the Vypyr and save for the footswitch
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The Peavey Bandit was used on a lot of black metal albums, to give you an example of their tone... Orchidish tone is definitely in their reach.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Thanks a lot for all the help people. I think I'm going for either the Bandit or the Vypyr, depending on how I feel tomorrow haha
Add $60 and get a new B-52 AT-112, or look for one used.

A 30W, solid state, amp is not going to be loud enough, even just for band practices.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by JustMimes
Well, if gigging is tooo restrictive, how about just simply being loud enough for practicing with other people?

That's pretty much the same thing, considering you'll probably be mic'd at gigs. And yeah, I doubt 30 watts is enough for either.

The Vyper and the Bandit both seem like fine choices. Remember to buy used!
Last edited by werty22 at Aug 21, 2009,
Nice taste in music! I like that you linked Tigersuit, haha.

Definitely not the FW. I have one and it's definitely not suited for those styles. You'd be better off with the Crush.

But, I'd go with the recommendation of the Peavey Bandit. That'll work best

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

A 30W, solid state, amp is not going to be loud enough, even just for band practices.

this
Buy the orange and a nice od pedal. Possibly a keeley modded sd-1, heard those do a nice job.
Defender of the Llama
Quote by MatrixClaw

That will give me tone I'm looking for? Better than a Peavey Bandit Or is it just a good amp?
Quote by JustMimes
That will give me tone I'm looking for? Better than a Peavey Bandit Or is it just a good amp?

Much better than a Bandit and loud enough for gigs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Much better than a Bandit and loud enough for gigs.

As in better for the tone im looking for or just a better amp in all other ways? haha.
Alright thanks guys I'll try for the B-52 and if not the Vypyr/Bandit...