In September I'm going on to Grade 12 and I want to pursue music, in Humber College in Toronto Canada. And I had the "starving artist/musician" thought. And now I'm having second thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY love music. But it's just that. I don't want to pay so much money for school that I won't be able to pay it off after.

So what I'm asking basically is. Is it worth it ?

I know it sounds stupid because I love music and all but I don't want to end up to be the type of person who can barely pay his internet bill/phone bill etc.
Well it's just as worth going to college for any other major. I don't see why it's music specific. If you're talking about career choices, then speak with someone about opportunities. There are plenty of jobs OTHER than being a professional player or a teacher.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
well i am going into grade 12, but the advice i could give you is from my old guitar teaching. he told me something along the lines of this. ahem.. "don't ever go to college fur music. it sucks. at the beginning everyones all 'Follow your dreams!! it'll be fine!' but now that im out it was the stupidest decision of my life. go into business or something, ANYTHING other than music. just trust me on this one." soo thats one mans opinion, but it turns out differently for everyone. you could be a teacher if your real musical career doesn't work out or something like that. make sure you choose what you do for you
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
Having plan B's doesn't hurt, does it?

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
I'm a music major and I couldn't see myself studying anything else.

If you want to make music as a career, you have to start being a business person and seeing music as money. That may sound cold, but once you're able to see it this way you'll start to realize the opportunities and options you have to make money with music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I want to follow music production, don't know how I will do that though. I have one year to think about it and get as much info as I can, we'll see.
SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
im working on my music degree right now, its definetly tough to find a steady job after you graduate unless you go for your masters or docs. alot of people i know who have graduated are working at music stores, playing in bands, giving private lessons and some are doing all three which makes for a decent living
you know you can still take music courses without majoring in it. thats what i did and i made the right choice cause i always knew a career in music in would be very unlikely, especially for me, and i've also been losing a lot of interest in it lately.
Quote by shk89
you know you can still take music courses without majoring in it. thats what i did and i made the right choice cause i always knew a career in music in would be very unlikely, especially for me, and i've also been losing a lot of interest in it lately.

Really but don't you have to pay for both subjects ? Tuition i mean.
Quote by profmcnasty
alot of people i know who have graduated are working at music stores, playing in bands, giving private lessons and some are doing all three which makes for a decent living

And there's much more you can do. Small scale clientele-based production and writing, such as writing/arranging music for ads and other media, private and institute commissions, royalty through ASCAP/BMI/etc, film/video game scoring, being an arranger/orchestrator/notation editor, the list goes on and on...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
And there's much more you can do. Small scale clientele-based production and writing, such as writing/arranging music for ads and other media, private and institute commissions, royalty through ASCAP/BMI/etc, film/video game scoring, being an arranger/orchestrator/notation editor, the list goes on and on...

yes yes yes
Quote by DGen92

In most universities, you pay a grand tuition. A side music class would count as an elective.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DGen92

not that i know of. in my uni you could fit courses into your schedule that you want to takesimply because you want to. if that means you'll have to add one class over the credit limit for a semester, you only py an extra $20. at least thats how it is in my school
Well i am good with words and love music, so if performance dosen't work out for me i might be able to make a career writing about music.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.

While that all sounds nice, it is incredibly hard to find a stable job in music.

You won't get rich unless you're lucky. If you are by yourself it'll be easier, but if you want to get married/start a family/do expensive things you will have a lot of money troubles unless you have a rich wife.

My advice:
Major in something else that interests you. If you want, minor in music/keep it as a hobby. Just because you don't study music in college doesn't mean it can't be a major part of your life.
Last edited by silepnt letters at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by silepnt letters
While that all sounds nice, it is incredibly hard to find a stable job in music.

You won't get rich unless you're lucky.

Well, no one said anything about being rich. And no, it's not blind luck. There is a method to a career in music, just like everything else.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, no one said anything about being rich. And no, it's not blind luck. There is a method to a career in music, just like everything else.

So far what this guy has said has been absolutely correct.

I'm currently majoring in music as well. As trust me the job field is actually quite vast. If you're just sticking to your instrument to try and make you money, then yeah, money might be tight for a while. But just as Xiaoxi said before, composing music can be quite profitable. But don't expect things to come easy after college anyway. It'll mainly come down to building a portfolio of your work to hustle around.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
And essentially, every working-class musician is the CEO of himself. Some are bad at being CEOs, and that's why they are dead ass broke. But in college, I have met many musicians who are good CEOs and it shows.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you want to make music as a career, you have to start being a business person and seeing music as money. That may sound cold, but once you're able to see it this way you'll start to realize the opportunities and options you have to make money with music.

sadly, one of the most true statements about music. But i'm pretty much going for the "dream" at the moment, wherever that takes me. If your like me, expect not to live great and be open to taking up outside things (teaching, other jobs in music). But really, dont give up hopes for a band if it really makes you happiest.

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by chipmunksurfer
sadly, one of the most true statements about music.
I didn't even mean it in a bad way. After all, this is a CAREER you're talking about. To not look at your work in terms of money is just naive. Of course, you can still enjoy what you do, and the money involved shouldn't affect the fact that you are doing what you want to do.

But i'm pretty much going for the "dream" at the moment, wherever that takes me.
If by "dream", you mean being in a rock band and "making it big", don't get caught up in it. If you gain momentum and it happens, it happens. I used to think the same way. But now I have absolutely no interest in it. Frankly, there is more interesting things to do in the music industry, and there are much more flexible and variable paths to earn a living.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm starting my first year of music at University next month. For now, I'm not going to even think about what career I'll end up in. I'm just going to do my best, pay attention in class and take several classes outside of music as well, so I keep my options open.