Page 1 of 2
I have been thinking about getting a new guitar for a bit and I have decided that I want to get a V shaped guitar because I love the look and feel. I have looked at quite a few but I just wanted to get some more ideas from you all.

I play metal and rock and enjoy some clean stuff here and there.

What I am looking for:

V shaped

Set neck, set-through, neck through

22 or more frets I'm not picky

high quality pickups ( no, no name pups)

I've never owned a guitar with active pups so probably leaning towards actives (Please no, OMFGZORS ACTIVES HAVE HORRIBLE CLEANS, I HEARD IT ON UG!!!!!)
Actives can pull off some solid cleans used properly imo.

For neck thickness I like anywhere from a hellraiser neck to a wizard neck

For body woods, preferably denser woods like mahogany and koa etc

For the bridge I enjoy both FR's and hardtails as long as the bridge is of good quality.

Price is up to about 750$

No deans or agiles please

Right now my favourites are the schecter hellraiser V-1. DBZ cavallo AB, and LTD v401dx

I've checked alot of different brands out but just wanted to see if I missed any hidden jems thanks.

Edit: I love jackson guitars but I don't like the RR style guitars because of how they balance.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 22, 2009,
You do know a DBZ is technically a Dean right?

If you enjoy cleans, scratch the hellraiser v-1. Schecter V-1 Classic is the way to go for flexibility.

Randy Rhoads are pretty cool V styled guitars...
I'd love to see someone get the Washburn WV40V...

All I got.
Jackson RR3?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

If you enjoy cleans, scratch the hellraiser v-1. Schecter V-1 Classic is the way to go for flexibility.

Randy Rhoads are pretty cool V styled guitars...
I'd love to see someone get the Washburn WV40V...

All I got.

Dean guitars has really gone downhill in my opinion. DBZ is the the only company actually Owned by Dean Zelinsky.

Ya the RR neck throughs are a bit difficult to come by for the right price and personally I find them unbalanced a bit.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
DBZ's look like they will be really good. I've heard some vids and heard some opinions on them and it sounds like they are great. The vids are on Youtube. They are created by Dean Z., but they are NOT Dean's. I think the DBZ Cavallo would be a good choice. It may be awhile b4 you can play one/ buy one. They should be shipping out within the next few months.

Some DBZ's have EMG 81/85. If you are worried about cleans, switch the 85 for a 60 and your set. But if you get one with DBZ customs, then you should be good. Dean Z. has a lot of experience and knows what he is doing. He made the pickups to fit the design of the guitar it is put in. If you get the DBZ customs, you are not going to get sh*t.

If you don't want to wait, then one of your other choices might be better. But if you can wait for the DBZ's, i think they are worth it. The designs are amazing; the finishes are nice. Dean Z. has had many years of experience and knows how to make good guitars.

If you get the DBZ, then let us know how it plays!

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
For your limited price range, get a Schecter. They are the best guitars for the money. All the ones I've played have been consistent with quality.

But I suggest you save for a bit longer and get a standard Gibson V. They are surprisingly versatile. You can get them under $1000 on eBay.

And why not a Dean? I've never played one of their V's, but the Dave Mustaine models look pretty sick.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by JagerSlushy
Jackson RR3?

Bolt on unfortunately. But thanks =)
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
you could pick up a good used Carvin Ultra V on ebay for around that price
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by RyanMetalMatthe
I thought the DV8 was the best V ever. Too bad Dave switched to Dean...

Ya, bad move IMO.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by JKMV11
DBZ's look like they will be really good. I've heard some vids and heard some opinions on them and it sounds like they are great. The vids are on Youtube. They are created by Dean Z., but they are NOT Dean's. I think the DBZ Cavallo would be a good choice. It may be awhile b4 you can play one/ buy one. They should be shipping out within the next few months.

Some DBZ's have EMG 81/85. If you are worried about cleans, switch the 85 for a 60 and your set. But if you get one with DBZ customs, then you should be good. Dean Z. has a lot of experience and knows what he is doing. He made the pickups to fit the design of the guitar it is put in. If you get the DBZ customs, you are not going to get sh*t.

If you don't want to wait, then one of your other choices might be better. But if you can wait for the DBZ's, i think they are worth it. The designs are amazing; the finishes are nice. Dean Z. has had many years of experience and knows how to make good guitars.

If you get the DBZ, then let us know how it plays!

Good Luck.

This is what I was thinking. The cavallo's actually start shipping this week or the next. I'm a huge supporter and I think I might by one and put EMG's in it.

PS there are 2 on ebay right now.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by ironmaiden1313
jackson rr5fr
or
jackson KV5FR King V are some nice ones too look into....

Both excellent guitars but will be 1200+
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by JagerSlushy
Jackson RR3?

+1
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by Flying Afros
For your limited price range, get a Schecter. They are the best guitars for the money. All the ones I've played have been consistent with quality.

But I suggest you save for a bit longer and get a standard Gibson V. They are surprisingly versatile. You can get them under $1000 on eBay.

And why not a Dean? I've never played one of their V's, but the Dave Mustaine models look pretty sick.

I really loved the schecter I played. I normally go for thinner necks but I found the V-1 to be very comfortable.

I haven't been impressed with the quality of gibson lately.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by dale-banez
you could pick up a good used Carvin Ultra V on ebay for around that price

Great idea I will look into this as well as the other choices I mentioned.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
If you get a DBZ and if you let me play it, I'll be your bitch.

For life.

Haha

These guitars will either kick ass or completely disappoint us all. only time will tell. I am leaning towards the positive choice though :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Haha

These guitars will either kick ass or completely disappoint us all. only time will tell. I am leaning towards the positive choice though :P

Considering how experience Dean Z. is, i agree with you. DBZ guitars has a future. They may not be for everyone, but they should be great.

A few weeks till they are shipped out? I can't wait to hear some reviews on them. As you said, they will either be great ore sh*t, but the latter seems to be highly unlikely.

If i ever get a DBZ, it will likely be a USA. If money is in issue for me at the time, then i will probably get a Premiere or Infinity. As for model, probably a Bolero, Cavallo, Venom, Imperial, or BoP. They all look so great, it is hard to decide. But the ESP EC-401FM looks really good as well. So many things i want and not enough money to get them.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
Considering how experience Dean Z. is, i agree with you. DBZ guitars has a future. They may not be for everyone, but they should be great.

A few weeks till they are shipped out? I can't wait to hear some reviews on them. As you said, they will either be great ore sh*t, but the latter seems to be highly unlikely.

If i ever get a DBZ, it will likely be a USA. If money is in issue for me at the time, then i will probably get a Premiere or Infinity. As for model, probably a Bolero, Cavallo, Venom, Imperial, or BoP. They all look so great, it is hard to decide. But the ESP EC-401FM looks really good as well. So many things i want and not enough money to get them.

True, my major pet peeve for DBZ guitars is how their infinity line is so expensive. Many other japanese companies will give you more for the bang of the infinity series.

Right now I'm low on cash so I am forced to go for the premier series.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Used Jackson RR5.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr V - neck-thru, EMGs, OFR, ebony fretboard...
Just make sure you don't get a pre-2006 model.
Quote by whencowsfart101
BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr V - neck-thru, EMGs, OFR, ebony fretboard...
Just make sure you don't get a pre-2006 model.

Beautiful guitar but I would probably take the LTD 401dx over it.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

All I got.

...I believe these do not exist.

Anyways, a used Gibson V will be very versatile, as will a Carvin Ultra V. If I were you I would wait for these DBZ's to get some real reviews before buying one. Theres no point in having one of the first ones off the production line if its a crap guitar anyways.

EDIT: I stand corrected, google is my friend.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Last edited by leftyace at Aug 22, 2009,
Too bad you dont like deans, The mustaine V with the livewires plays like a dream, As does the razorback V.

But really just pick the guitar that feels and sounds good to you, Any higher end model from any company is going to be a great guitar, Its just a matter of your comfort.
Quote by DimeLvR
Too bad you dont like deans, The mustaine V with the livewires plays like a dream, As does the razorback V.

But really just pick the guitar that feels and sounds good to you, Any higher end model from any company is going to be a great guitar, Its just a matter of your comfort.

Ya not big on livewires but I see where your coming from.

True ya I definately am trying to focus on what personally fits the best with me.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

DBZ was set up by the guy that left Dean because they were gettin crappy, I think.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
So have you decided yet? The Schecter?
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Flying Afros
So have you decided yet? The Schecter?

I love the schecters but I would have to get one from ebay as in canada they are over priced, that or the DBZ unless there s some small company I'm missing.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Check these out.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
DBZ was set up by the guy that left Dean because they were gettin crappy, I think.

You are correct. Dean Z. left his company b/c he didn't like the direction it was headed in, and probably b/c of some other reasons. He decided to start up DBZ to make the guitars he was planning on making, as well as new and innovative designs. DBZ guitars should be like old Dean guitars, the good ones. I am expecting good things.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by biga29
Check these out.

Gorgeous guitars but sadly few ship to canada.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni

There can be no other.

The Gibson Faded Vs are supposed to be rather good, or if you'd want to spend some money on some aftermarket pickups you could attempt to find one of the Epiphone models. I think they're discontinued now, but they're well within your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Korina-Flying-V-1958-Electric-Guitar-MINT_W0QQitemZ270443895843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef7b65c23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by leftyace
...I believe these (Schecter V-1 Classics) do not exist.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-V1-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=484204

'Nuff said.

A lot of DBZ guitars seem to use EMG 81/85's, but I can't wait to play one that isn't over $1,000 and see how much they actually cost!

I'm DYING on the inside.

BTW, I'd get the V-1 Classic if the headstock matched. Really ****ty of Schecter on that one.
Quote by Wulver

There can be no other.

The Gibson Faded Vs are supposed to be rather good, or if you'd want to spend some money on some aftermarket pickups you could attempt to find one of the Epiphone models. I think they're discontinued now, but they're well within your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Korina-Flying-V-1958-Electric-Guitar-MINT_W0QQitemZ270443895843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef7b65c23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hmm I might give gibson another look, thanks! and the epiphone is cool but I had owned epi's before and there was always been quality issues. Great guitars for the price but craftsmanship can suffer.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-V1-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=484204

'Nuff said.

A lot of DBZ guitars seem to use EMG 81/85's, but I can't wait to play one that isn't over $1,000 and see how much they actually cost!

I'm DYING on the inside.

BTW, I'd get the V-1 Classic if the headstock matched. Really ****ty of Schecter on that one.

Yes, I might go for the cavallo AB or the matte black venom.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I was thinking the DBZ cavallo or the scheccter V-1 hellraiser were my two best choices for for fixed bridge V's.

I was just thinking of my best options for FR V's, Probably the LTD V-401dx?

Any other ideas?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I was thinking the DBZ cavallo or the scheccter V-1 hellraiser were my two best choices for for fixed bridge V's.

I was just thinking of my best options for FR V's, Probably the LTD V-401dx?

Any other ideas?

Cavallo with the FR? Venom? The ESP looks nice.

If you can get the money, then look into this:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_WV548GYB%20HM%20Series%20V%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_-1_10052_10002_555049_cmCategorySA182593

I know it is almost twice your budget, but if you can get the money, it looks like a great guitar. Carbon Glass Epoxy Fingerboard, Mahogany Body with set mahogany neck, 24 Frets, OFR, EMG 81/85 (you can switch the 85 for 60 for better cleans), MADE IN THE USA!!
--Einstein

--Einstein
Page 1 of 2