Do you feel that Metal is beginning to decline?

Major labels are relying on artists who have made their name in the industry putting out the same garbage for over 20 years, while the demand for new talent is quite slim, industries refusing to take a risk with a new band that could possibly be more relatable to a younger crowd.
Metal is still very strong. Especially in Europe and Japan. The decline in North America happened nearly 20 years ago
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
The decline in North America happened nearly 20 years ago

lol. ever heard of a place called Tampa, Florida?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
i was actually thinking that it's picking up...heh...i mean when i was growing up (1998, 1999) it was all about Limp Bizkit but now it seems like bands like All that Remains, Lamb of God, Trivium, etc are really popular
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
who cares. Metal was never meant to be mainstream
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by romencer17
lol. ever heard of a place called Tampa, Florida? Or the east coast in general?

Fixed for truthenticity.

But seriously, metal is strong as hell.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
maybe when he says metal he's thinking of thrash and power stuff, not extreme metal

Sumdeus
Quote by dfisher_18
Do you feel that Metal is beginning to decline?

Major labels are relying on artists who have made their name in the industry putting out the same garbage for over 20 years, while the demand for new talent is quite slim, industries refusing to take a risk with a new band that could possibly be more relatable to a younger crowd.

They do do that. It just fails on quite a number of levels.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
No. It's just not "heavy metal" like Maiden, Priest, etc.
Metal is stronger than ever if anything
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Of course "major labels" are relying on veteran artists, theyre the ones signed with major labels (if by that you mean Warner, Sony BMG, etc.). Major Metal labels, like Ferret, Metal Blade, Reprise, Epitaph, and Victory sort of are doing just fine. If anything, metal is picking up in some scenes. Sure, it isnt super-great and really mainstream by any stretch, but it certainly seems like metal, metal-core, and heavy music in general seems to be on the rise.
Metal's doing as well as it likely ever will. It's the sorta thing that has a limit before it collapses in on itself.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Metal is stronger now than it ever was. We have more bands, and more good bands, and less bad bands because more of them are better due to modern technology. The only problems are over production and stuff because they make bad music.
Quote by XDethxsplosionX
and less bad bands because more of them are better due to modern technology.

i would say there are more bad bands than ever before, what with all this generic metalcore and deathcore coming out.

Sumdeus
would rather have less since ****ty bands are getting successful while talented original bands stay unknown

Sumdeus
No, the way i see it, there're always the same number of good and bad bands. The only problem is that that doesn't sell. In order to make money the record labels just sell us the bad ones, so the good ones will seem better. Now, though, with the internet, we don't need record labels, so we can realize how good the balance really is without their meddling. How many kvlt gems have been only recently discovered that were released ten years ago? How many in the past year? It's because they're not being hidden any longer!
All the good bands that are still around including the old ones like Slayer,Maiden,MegaDeth will all be over soon, as will the current bands us metal heads listen like trivium,lamb of god basically all the current stuff will die out too. Im worried after that what will we have?

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
Quote by ~MeTaL~
All the good bands that are still around including the old ones like Slayer,Maiden,MegaDeth will all be over soon, as will the current bands us metal heads listen like trivium,lamb of god basically all the current stuff will die out too. Im worried after that what will we have?

lol, people said the same **** about rock n roll in the 70's
where's it today? on the mutha****en radio, and selling better than most popular music

Sumdeus
Not only are there crazy amounts of new bands out who are fantastic, but the veterans have been releasing some of the best material of their careers.
We got some GOOD new creative bands, like Acid Witch and Blackguard.

Old bands putting great cds like Keep Of Kalessin, Intestine Baalism, The Absence, Ensiferum, Origin etc.

If you want good metal you gotta search for it, if theres something in specific you want to listen drop me a pm or post it here and I'll drop you a personal recc of any type of genre within metal to show you what I mean.
Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man
personally i think the faceless are one of the best examples of new bands making good original music.

Sumdeus
It seems metal's popularity is on the rise, to me at least. Old bands are pretty popular to people who are new to metal(Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Sabbath). I think partly because of the Guitar Hero games and stuff. Just turn on the TV, more media uses rock music and heavy metal for advertising. Young bands like Black Tide for example. I don't care for them, but they do play metal and lots of people like them. Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, all those extreme bands get a lot of mainstream attention. Bands with newer sounds(Post metal, sludge) like Russian Circles, Pelican, Baroness, Mastodon, Kylesa, Isis are extremely popular with people who don't even like metal that much(Many friends of mine like these guys but aren't metal heads at all)

I can write a few pages about this cause I'm always talking about it with friends haha.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
hmmm I have spent some time thinking about some of the issues raised in this thread, and I'm going to pitch with some of my thoughts here...

one of the posters made a good comment about the scene having its limit before it imploded upon itself. to that effect, if one really looks at the metal phenomena, and strips away some of the staple components of lyrical imagery, and other thematic elements and looks solely at the sound - it seems to me at least, that the sound hasn't really progressed in totality over the past decade.

sure, we've had a number of genres being subdivided from black to purple, and mathcore to progressive obsessive banana flavored and so on and so forth, but in many cases, I have noticed that the performers and artists are pretty much serving the same ideas, worded differently to somewhat comply with cultural trends, and using essentially the same sonic template... what that means is that though the bands for sure "sound" different, the aesthetics behind the construction of that sound, the thought processes that lead to it, are stagnating and uninspired.

that said, one of the things to consider is this - for a long time, the metal scene was typically the product of a very select socio-cultural clique: white, male, adolescents (at least that's when the lure of metal makes its presence) and onwards. the themes and images as well as the music we have come and heard and enjoyed, STILL has been served, produced, created from a limited perspective.

the same can be said of the instruments that have been used (barring some notable exceptions).

what will be interesting to note in the coming ages, as globalization and cross-cultural pollination pervades the arts and music, how the metal phenomena evolves. I do have some faith in it as being an organic entity, so I certainly hope that it does. but it will have to start diversifying its portfolio, or it's simply going to become dated and uncool.

now, I will admit at closing that I don't listen to metal anymore (I listened to everything it had to offer at one point), but now I find that I usually just can't handle too much distortion and blast beats (probably all the ganja smoke). but I do try to keep half an ear open for any interesting developments in the scene - that said, the only "metal" band to pique my curiosity in the recent past, has been the Art Metal Trio. and for those who don't know what they're all about, I'd recommend checking them out.;
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
words

The ramblings of an ex-metal head who is now "too cool for school" are as accurate and relevent to the current scene as an elephant's contribution to a debate on nuclear physics. Just 'cause you think you "get" what it's all about, doesn't mean you have the slightest clue what you're actually talking about.
Quote by technicolour
metal is good

...?

Quote by Magero
The ramblings of an ex-metal head who is now "too cool for school" are as accurate and relevent to the current scene as an elephant's contribution to a debate on nuclear physics. Just 'cause you think you "get" what it's all about, doesn't mean you have the slightest clue what you're actually talking about.

perhaps not, care to bandy words?
i hope theres a slight decline in the metal scene, because then the bands who are just generic copies of popular bands would hopefully die out. there may be more bands out there now but i'd rather 1 in every 5 bands was good than 1 in every 100.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost