I am an electric guitar player, and I've been "playing" for 7 months.

However, even with taking lessons, I feel like I am getting nowhere. Mainly because I dont have too much interest in playing the electric guitar anymore. I picked up my sister's bass for a little bit and I had fun plucking it and hearing the low frequency awesomeness they deliver (I love deep, low tones, and I normally play electric in Drop C).

I often think about switching, due to my lack of interest in electric. Would I be better off switching from electric to Bass?
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Last edited by LoweRider at Aug 21, 2009,
I'd say keep with electric for a while until you are positive you don't want to continue with it, or try to balance and learn both at the same time.
this seems very cut and dry to me....if you enjoy playing bass and do not enjoy playing guitar, then play bass...simple
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by chuckmehh
oh and if you decide to do that, can I have your Schecter? haha

Lol, if you got a bass I can trade ya for, we can make that happen lol.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by LoweRider

I've got a decent beginner bass for sale if you're interested... Only if you're interested.
Quote by LoweRider

I'll trade a Laguna Ocean TB70 for your guitar if you are interested in learning bass, also you should play because you like it, so if you like bass more, play bass.
Bass seems cool at the moment, but (like any other instrument), you can lose interest just the same way you did with guitar.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by LoweRider
I am an electric guitar player, and I've been "playing" for 7 months.

However, even with taking lessons, I feel like I am getting nowhere. Mainly because I dont have too much interest in playing the electric guitar anymore. I picked up my sister's bass for a little bit and I had fun plucking it and hearing the low frequency awesomeness they deliver (I love deep, low tones, and I normally play electric in Drop C).

I often think about switching, due to my lack of interest in electric. Would I be better off switching from electric to Bass?

7 month's and a Schecter already?! Well take it from me, a guitar player gone to bass! I love the guitar and it's my main instrument, but I too get bored of the tones. The distortion, solos, trying to keep up with the fast music of today, it gets repetitive and boring.
If you want to learn bass, learn bass. But keep your guitar. Learn it as a side instrument if you wish. 7 month's honestly is a very short amount of time to get good at an instrument but if you don't like it, why bother continuing?
If you like the bass, go for it. I too switched after about 7 months for very similar reasons. I'd say go for it
Bass is funnier to play in my opinion because its funny to jam cool metal songs with fingers Also playing guitar is almost always picking picking and little tap sometimes... But in bass you can go both finger and pick which gets u more things to learn (slap, pop etc.) Switch bass if you really want it, and i say you should
Guitar take more skill, yes, but Bass is for the few who are required the talent to play it. Bass can reward player as much as Guitar, yes? I fan of bass but Guitar is what I own, yes?

Thanks,

By my message,

Phillip McGraaw
Hello, my name is Phillip McGraaw

I have PhD in Women's Studies/Immigration trends from University of Texas at Austin.

I am an Indian who immigrated to America 7 years ago. I like Warehouse 13, Twitter, Guitar, etc.
Quote by Phillip McGraaw
Guitar take more skill, yes, but Bass is for the few who are required the talent to play it. Bass can reward player as much as Guitar, yes? I fan of bass but Guitar is what I own, yes?

Thanks,

By my message,

Phillip McGraaw

Guitar doesn't necessarily take more skill, it's just played differently than bass most of the time. They can both be rewarding as long as they are enjoyed though.
I play both. TBH, I find bass harder than guitar in some ways.

It always bothers me when people ask if they should switch from one to the other. Play both--it will make you a better musician. Get the basics down for both instruments and then you have the luxury of using whatever musical tool best fits your mood or your need. One will always get more focus (for me that's bass), but it doesn't mean abandoning one for the other.