I am completely new to recording and i have been having some problems. I bought a line 6 POD studio UX1, a mic and a box to provide phantom power to the mic. I installed the POD, all the drivers and the program RiffWorks. Probably not the best stuff but its cheap and gets the job done.

Now where i have been having the problem is when i try to play my guitar (both through the mic and directly connected) no sounds are produced. The only thing that i can hear is the backing drums. The bars are moving to say that the computer is getting it, but all that i hear is the backing drum beat.

I have been looking around and it seems like i need to buy a sound card. The guy that sold me this stuff never said anything about one, he told me that i should be able to plug it in and start recording right away. Was the sales guy full of **** and i need to buy a sound card? If so how much are they and where can i get one?

Thanks for helping a noob out
Quote by Comrade Curry
Go to Fry's Electronics, they have used sound cards (used as in box was opened but the card wasnt installed) that should fix you up.

So i do need one? How much are they?
If you actually bought a TonePort UX1, and I know of no other Line6 product that uses the UX1 moniker, then you have a soundcard. So don't go out and buy anything just yet.

The thing about the UX1 is that it uses direct monitoring as a kind of workaround to avoid latency. There is still latency, there will always be with USB, but it won't hamper your performance since you essentially just hear the tone from the unit, it doesn't have to take the route to the computer and back (which is the main cause of latency).

Have you tried adjusting the ToneDirect knob which determines how much of the direct signal you hear in the headphones? Otherwise that's the place to start.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Quote by ebon00
Have you tried adjusting the ToneDirect knob which determines how much of the direct signal you hear in the headphones? Otherwise that's the place to start.

Ya, i have, but there is still no guitar, just the drum