Hello UG members.

I am a college student, and I've been writing a guide since June that teaches a personal technique I have developed myself called the 'Guitar Chord Parser Method'. The method will enable guitarists to take notes out of chords they already know, and essentially create unique and spontaneous melodies.

In 40 pages I've already completed a lot of the groundwork (like explaining chord structure, creating riffs that practice vertical fret movement and exemplifying note shemes derived from chords), but I still find the guide a bit wanting. What I need is some good solid pier review and possibly some contribution from sources with higher credibility, such as guitar teachers, veterans and players with full-fledged music degrees. This is why I am asking some members from the UG community to step in and have a look at my guide. As I said, I am mainly looking for people with a lot of experience teaching guitar.

With this guide, I do think that I can satisfy a definitive audience of guitar players, mainly people who quit advancing guitar techniques just after learning basic chords and people who are tired of memorizing songs and just want to develop some cool techniques.

I am an eMarketer so I plan on eventually selling this guide through certain online venues. But I do feel it is important that I am not selling a shamy product, which is why I am turning to the UG community.

Please post here if you have any suggestions for developing this guide, or if you have any thoughts regarding whether a guide like this would be helpful to guitar students. And please PM me if you have experience teaching music and are up to the task of having a look at my guide.
Sounds interesting!

I'm not really sure what to suggest, though, since we're not really given anything beyond your initial concept..
Quote by HoffManCometh
Sounds interesting!

I'm not really sure what to suggest, though, since we're not really given anything beyond your initial concept..

I guess you will have to read the guide to get familiar with the specifics .

Basically, I want to train people to be able to pick notes out of chords to create their own melodies. It's as simple as that. This is much like learning the basics of scale movements (learning to go up and down the scales to create melodies), but instead you are using only the notes in chords. So instead of having to memorize and use a scale, say the G major scale, you can use a G major chord to create a melody in G.

It's a pretty fun technique that I picked up while taking classical fingerpicking guitar classes. I found that learning the technique with a pick was not very difficult either.

Just looking for some more insight from UG members here.
Quote by dylan4450
The method will enable guitarists to take notes out of chords they already know, and essentially create unique and spontaneous melodies.

Arpeggios?
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Arpeggios?

Wow, thanks I had no idea what the technical term for this was. This will certainly help me develop my guide.
In time, perhaps 4 months I may qualify to pier review. However today is my first guitar lesson, now completed. I am beginner but will soon be good.
Hello, my name is Phillip McGraaw

I have PhD in Women's Studies/Immigration trends from University of Texas at Austin.

I am an Indian who immigrated to America 7 years ago. I like Warehouse 13, Twitter, Guitar, etc.
Quote by dylan4450
Wow, thanks I had no idea what the technical term for this was. This will certainly help me develop my guide.

If you didn't know this, you definately shouldn't be writing an instructional book about chord melodies. Seriously.

Closed.