You'll find the sound here, at 0:35 to 0:50. I have no idea how he changes the note during the harmonic. Hell, I don't even know how he gets it in the first place.

Usually if I have enough distortion and I let a note ring, with enough vibrato I can achieve the first part of this 'sound'. But Ian isn't using that much distortion. It isn't a studio effect, I've seen Breaking Benjamin (a lot of their songs use this) and Muse do it live. Any help is greatly appreciated, hopefully this is in the right subforum. :X
It's feedback from the amp. If you have it set loud with plenty of distortion you should be able to get it, maybe even try holding the guitar closer to the amp.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby
-Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
-Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger

Hopefully more to come.
That's feedback. The note probably changes because A) they muted one of the vibrating strings, B) they used a trem, or C) they used an ebow, sustainiac, or other 'instant feedback' devices.
Quote by jean_genie
That's feedback. The note probably changes because A) they muted one of the vibrating strings, B) they used a trem, or C) they used an ebow, sustainiac, or other 'instant feedback' devices.

Oh, and you probably need big speakers too. Unless a lot of air is being physically moved, your guitar is unlikely to feedback. At least in a musical way.
It sounds like he's just using feedbacking off the amp. PArticularly if you have less shielded pickups (single coils work the absolute best), wit enough distortion if you hold your pickups in fromt of the amp they should feed back onto themselves holding this harmonic frequency. If you are sustaining a note, you can slide to another note to alter this frequency slightly.
Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

lawl.

Hmmm well I can't get it to change notes unless I pick another note... you're sure this has nothing to do with natural harmonics being used after the initial feedback?
Quote by Payne86
It sounds like he's just using feedbacking off the amp. PArticularly if you have less shielded pickups (single coils work the absolute best), wit enough distortion if you hold your pickups in fromt of the amp they should feed back onto themselves holding this harmonic frequency. If you are sustaining a note, you can slide to another note to alter this frequency slightly.

Usually i'll have to wait after sliding for it to work, so i'll get the sliding sound, which isn't too pleasant when I'm trying to get this feedback/harmonic thing going.
Last edited by Zuka at Aug 22, 2009,