opinions on them?
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
yeahh.. they are pretty expensive. how are they tone-wise?
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

They're teh awesomes. Except the Studios. Those suck.

I've never really understood why Gibson or Epiphone has never released a more hard-rock/metal version of the Firebird. It my opinion it'd look rad for metal.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i agree. i love them. how are they suited for modern/classic rock
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Gibson designs them that way. Mini-hums are for more bluesy and less output styles. And the hums in the Studio are pretty low output too. just doesn't really float my boat.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
yeah. i love the feel of the guitar though.
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Sexy guitar for sure. From looking at them it looks like it would kinda have the feel of a finished neck Strat.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Nice as hell action on all the ones I've played, with great vintage tone.

Rarer than unicorn farts, though, at least 'round here.
yeah, haha
Gear:

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Quote by Flying Couch
Nice as hell action on all the ones I've played, with great vintage tone.

Rarer than unicorn farts, though, at least 'round here.

Aye, same here. Only one i've seen was used at GC and it had a repaired headstock at where it snapped off at the nut.
I've been GAS'ing for one ever since I watched Lynyrd Skynyrd Live at the Old Grey Whistle Test. Allen Collins starts off the show playing that bad arse riff to Double Trouble on a Firebird. If it were me though, I'd go over to Warmoth and buy a nice flame top Firebird body or somethin and then I could build it up the way I wanted, would cost less and be more suited to your personal tastes than just buying a Gibson off the wall.
Quote by Snake™
They're teh awesomes. Except the Studios. Those suck.

I've never really understood why Gibson or Epiphone has never released a more hard-rock/metal version of the Firebird. It my opinion it'd look rad for metal.

I believe they have.

It's called the Explorer.

EDIT: Because I realize how hard it is to tell intent through text.....yeah, was trying to be funny. I actually do heart Firebirds more than I do Explorers. Johnny Winter won't let me do otherwise.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Aug 22, 2009,
Firebird>Explorer

Its no contest here. The Firebird blows the Explorer away in the looks department for sure.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've wanted one for a long time, but Gibson's configurations have never suited me. I'm very tempted by ESP's new Firebird clone. Fret King also make a weird Firebird/Explorer hyrbid that looks and sounds very nice. Then there's Warmoth...

One day, bank account. One day, a Firebird shall be ours.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yea... the Firebird is a sweet guitar.... only with a natural finish though.

I am not a fan of those 50s car colors.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Wulver
I believe they have.

It's called the Explorer.

EDIT: Because I realize how hard it is to tell intent through text.....yeah, was trying to be funny. I actually do heart Firebirds more than I do Explorers. Johnny Winter won't let me do otherwise.

XD

They're called Jackson Firebirds, my friend:
http://www.usacharvels.com/noncharvels/jbird.htm
http://www.robbincrosby.net/guitargallery/blackbird.htm

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
the firebirds are great sounding guitars - something i'd love to own but i can barely afford a tokai at the moment.

they aren't perfect however - they have the same problem as epiphone SGs, only quite possibly worse - due to the position of the upper strap button (in-line with the 21st fret almost) when you stand up with the guitar the neck pokes out a lot further than anyone used to a 'normal' instrument would be used to, and then there's that huge and somewhat fragile headstock, throwing the guitar off balance, and it's so huge the neck could almost crash to the floor if you let go of it. the position of the neck can also make them really awkward to play standing up until you get used to it.

but they look and sound so cool most people can live with that - and you can get used to it. feel wise the guitars are almost fender-like, too, almost like the happy medium between gibson and fender, as i think the firebird was gibson's attempt at challenging fender by making something similar.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i'd rather have the firebird as a bass than as a guitar

and..

Explorers >>>>> Firebird
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Firebirds are a sexy guitar, but only when they have a natural finish!
Take a look at the reviews here: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Firebird-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=517338
I hear it is a fairly diverse guitar, although I have never played one. If you like the looks you could switch out the electronics for something more suited to the style of music you play.
Quote by Luminate
i'd rather have the firebird as a bass than as a guitar

and..

Explorers >>>>> Firebird

and apples are better than oranges.

the differences between the firebird and the explorer are so great you just can't compare them. imo explorers are smokin' hot, firebirds are way cool.

but firebirds are typically more versatile - falling just short of being good metal guitars as the mini-humbuckers aren't quite "meaty" enough, and perhaps a little too jangly for jazz, they do a brilliant job of anything between, making them just a little short of being as versatile as a les paul or an ES-335. an Explorer won't give you a country twang or a britpop jangle as they are a little too dark sounding, but will be absolutely fantastic for more overdriven applications (wonderful blues guitars despite the metal/hard rock stereotype), and maybe pretty good for jazz too.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^
Eddie Willis played a Firebird and is a great jazz guitar player.

I never liked Explorers until I was in college. In the 80s and early 90s when I was a kid I associated them with spandex and glam which I hated.

A kid I knew in college had one and I plugged it in as a joke and was blown away. Great guitar and I have wanted one on and off ever since.

I had a friend who had a firebird and I used to borrow it now and again and I really liked it. Just have not had the cash when I have seen the deals - but both of these are on my radar.
Quote by Blompcube
the firebirds are great sounding guitars - something i'd love to own but i can barely afford a tokai at the moment.

they aren't perfect however - they have the same problem as epiphone SGs, only quite possibly worse - due to the position of the upper strap button (in-line with the 21st fret almost) when you stand up with the guitar the neck pokes out a lot further than anyone used to a 'normal' instrument would be used to, and then there's that huge and somewhat fragile headstock, throwing the guitar off balance, and it's so huge the neck could almost crash to the floor if you let go of it. the position of the neck can also make them really awkward to play standing up until you get used to it.

but they look and sound so cool most people can live with that - and you can get used to it. feel wise the guitars are almost fender-like, too, almost like the happy medium between gibson and fender, as i think the firebird was gibson's attempt at challenging fender by making something similar.

That can be fixed by installing a strap button in a better spot though, like on the upper bout (sorry for acoustic term there)
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
my dream guitar. I'd love to have one, someday

on a different note, however, I read recently that Neil Young replaced one of his pickups in his main black gibson les paul with a firebird mini-humbucker. i've always been a huge fan of neil, so reading this made me want a firebird that much more

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Last edited by MBradley2011 at Aug 22, 2009,