I might be getting a new laptop soonish. I know what type of specs I want, but I'm not sure about a few things. I don't need one right now, but I want to know if I should buy one before Windows 7 comes out or wait for it. Would I save more money buying a laptop now and buying the disks for Windows 7 or buying the laptop with windows 7 already on it?

I'm also not sure what brand to get. I hear mixed opinions on Dell, HP and Toshiba. I always seem to hear good things about Sony (which are almost as overpriced as macs, which are ridiculously expensive in Australia) and ASUS, which seems like a pretty good deal. I've seen some good deals on HP and Toshiba, but I'm not sure if I should go with them or not.

I'm also liking the idea of macs at the moment. My parents are helping me out with paying for a new laptop as it will be going to uni soon and I am trading my current laptop to them. I'll have that bit extra to spend on a mac if I wanted to. I'm liking macs mainly because the new Logic looks really good and I don't really play many games on computer these days.

I probably went on a bit too much there, but all advice would be appreciated

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this would be my first time recording.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Last edited by grobbo91 at Aug 22, 2009,
If you have the money, buy a MacBook Pro (you can play games on it, just boot up to Windows). I've used a lot of laptops and frankly MBP's are the only laptop worth buying. If you don't have the money, get a high end Asus.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah if can afford it definitely go with a MacBook. Laptops in general suck for gaming so if you're not worried about that then Mac all the way.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Speaking as one who has owned both a Windows laptop and a Macbook Pro (which I currently use), I would vote that you save up for a MacBook Pro. They're worth the money, especially if you like Logic and don't need games.

On the other hand, if you do buy a laptop with Vista, most stores/companies are guaranteeing a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it's released, so you won't have to worry about that. I personally like Dells, but ASUS is a solid choice as well. It really comes down what specs you want, your budget, and what you'll use it for.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by MasterExploder0
Yeah if can afford it definitely go with a MacBook. Laptops in general suck for gaming so if you're not worried about that then Mac all the way.

MacBook Pros are gaming laptops. For real. I can run Dead Space on the 9600GT.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
MacBook Pros are gaming laptops. For real. I can run Dead Space on the 9600GT.

In that case. Sell your soul and buy a MacBook (pro)
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Okay, I just found out that the Macbook pro I want (2.53ghz processor, 320gb hard drive, 4g ram, 15" screen) is going to cost about $2800. I could get a similar computer with windows 7 for about $1000 less. I will still look into it, but the apple tax is huge in Australia.

Also, doesn't apple release a new OS soon? What will that be like? I've never upgraded a computer's OS before.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Get a macbook air.
It fits in a menilla envelope!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Setting all math and science aside, I'm using real reasoning.

I will lol when I damn well please.
Quote by grobbo91
Okay, I just found out that the Macbook pro I want (2.53ghz processor, 320gb hard drive, 4g ram, 15" screen) is going to cost about $2800. I could get a similar computer with windows 7 for about $1000 less. I will still look into it, but the apple tax is huge in Australia.

Don't get 320GB hard drive. Stick to the default 200. Instead, invest in a 1TB external HD. There are several good reasons why it's good to do this instead:

1. Laptops are more prone to data loss. Keep your files in a more secure drive.
2. More storage for less money.
3. With OSX, there is Time Machine, the only data restore program that actually works. It's highly useful and requires an external.

Also, get the least amount of RAM offered. Buy cheap, 3rd party 2x2GB sets from somewhere. Works about the same.

Yes, other computers cost less money, but there are good reasons why the MBP cost more. Also, if you're a student, you may be eligible for student discounts. Look into that.

Also, doesn't apple release a new OS soon? What will that be like? I've never upgraded a computer's OS before.
I believe the new Snow Leopard upgrade will only be $30. It's very easy to do.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 22, 2009,
Don't be worried about Windows 7. Most Laptops that come with Windows Vista currently have an offer going on for a free upgrade to 7. That's what my laptop came with at least. It's an Inspiron 1545 or something like that, it's pretty good for school. You'd just need to get a good word processing program, such as Word.
The least amount of ram I can get is 4gb, and I don't see much need for anymore so I won't do any ram upgrades. The time machine idea sounds good, but 1tb seems overkill.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Oops, I forgot to say that I have no recording experience. So I guess I want something that is good for beginners and will allow me to get better, but is not too overkill.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

There's Garageband for OSX.

Also, the 1TB is so that you can partition the drive into 2 parts. 1 for your normal storage, and the other for Time Machine.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana