Does anyone know where I can find volume/push pull coil tap knobs? I have been searching for a whole day and haven't been able to find anything, I just know that highend schecters have them.

If there are any where are they, and is there another name for it?
Last edited by gsomej at Aug 22, 2009,
you have a picture? as far as i know the knobs are the same, but the actual pot is different.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The knob or the pot? As in is the knob broke or is the volume pit broke?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Like this clicky

If that's what it is. You need to find the value of the pot before you replace it.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Last edited by boxcarmonument at Aug 22, 2009,
What do you mean by pot? and the value of the pot?

Also does that go underneath the volume knob?
Yes it goes underneath the volume knob. Click the link that is underlined in my last post. Where it says Like this Clicky. And Pot is short for Potentiometer. And the value is the Number on the back it will say 500k or 250k. that is the value.
the pot is the actual mechanical/electrical device that alters the signal. the knob is just a piece of plastic that makes it looks nice.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by boxcarmonument
Yes it goes underneath the volume knob. Click the link that is underlined in my last post. Where it says Like this Clicky. And Pot is short for Potentiometer. And the value is the Number on the back it will say 500k or 250k. that is the value.

What does the value have to match up to or equal?
Quote by UnsignedRecords
the pot is the actual mechanical/electrical device that alters the signal. the knob is just a piece of plastic that makes it looks nice.

And makes it easier to adjust
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by gsomej
What does the value have to match up to or equal?

The value will have to match the one of the bad pot. It will be imprinted on it. Also. be advised there is short shaft, long shaft, straight shaft and tapered shaft.
So I'm guessing the value will be showed on the pickups or something too?

What's the difference between the shafts?

Sorry if i'm annoying you.
Nah the value won't be on the pickups. I'm am probably wrong here. But I believe the standard is 250k for Humbuckers and 500k for single coils.

If I am wrong could someone please correct me.

The longer shafts are for different style bodies. For instance a Les paul would need a long shaft because the pot goes through the thickness of the wood. And a Fender Strat would need a short shaft because the pot is only going through the thickness of the pick guard.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Nah the value won't be on the pickups. I'm am probably wrong here. But I believe the standard is 250k for Humbuckers and 500k for single coils.

If I am wrong could someone please correct me.

flip those values around and you've got it. not limited to that though, you can use any value with either. the higher the value the more treble is let through.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
flip those values around and you've got it. not limited to that though, you can use any value with either. the higher the value the more treble is let through.

Thank you sir!! You are too Kind.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Other way around: 250k is the standard for single coil pickups, 500k is the standard for humbuckers. Oddball pickups like stacked P-90s, singlecoil sized humbuckers and minihumbuckers can get away with using either.

There's no technical reason to use one over the other, it's just a tone preference: 250k rounds off the tone more while 500k is brighter. There's also 1meg pots that allow almost the pure tone of the signal through, and can sound very, very bright.

As far as push-pulls or push-push pots go, this is the deal:

Firstly, be aware that there is a difference between a 'coil tap' and a 'coil split'. What most people are after is a 'coil split' - cutting out one coil of a humbucke rpickup to make it sound like a P-90 singlecoil pickup. A 'coil tap' is when you simply lower the output of a pickup to give a quieter, brighter and cleaner tone - usually it's only done to singlecoil pickups and often you don't use a switch for it.

Secondly, think about whether you want a push-pull or a push-push pot. Push-push pots tend to wear through a little faster (generally they're just not made as well) but they have the advantage of everything always looking normal. With a push-pull, when you have the knob pulled up it will of course stick out more, and if your guitar has a vibrato bridge the bar might get caught against the tall pot.
There's also other methods of installing a coil split or tap; you can get mini switches, slider switches, and you can install coil splits directly on the pickup selector (for example, instead of the selector changing between bridge/both/neck pickups, you could set it to be bridge/neck split/neck full). So that's another thing to consider.

You also need to consider what pickups you'll use with these features. Not every singlecoil pickup can be tapped, and not every humbucker can be split, though most can. The other other problem is simply that a lot of humbuckers simply don't sound any good when split. Depending on how the pickup was made, a split humbucker can sound exactly like a normal Strat-style singlecoil pickup, a Gibson P-90 style singlecoil pickup, or it can simply sound like a shrill, horrible mess. So depending on what pickups you have, it might not be worth you bothering to install a coil split or tap anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for all your help guys, that was really useful information. And also, thanks for not being an ass to me.
www.stewmac.com for sure. i've seen them there
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip