So my good old Ibanez ART300 was stolen and I have the insurance for it.

I am allowed to buy any guitar as long as it adds up to $1095.00 AUD.

I have been looking at Mexican Strats and Teles, but have been hearing some bad things about quality. I play verything from blues, clean music, to rock and on occasion, metal. I am more of a rhythm player than a lead, but I still enjoy busting out solos and riffs.

My question is do you think the Mexican Strat or Tele is any good and if not, is an Epiphone LP any better?
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
well strats and teles have a bit different sounds and a les paul is going to give you something else completely so to help everyone out what sort of sound are you looking to get?
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
well, a John Mayer or Clapton sound, wouldnt come amiss. but I also want to be able to play with some distortion etc
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

why not go for a strat with an HSS setup? I mean, its pretty versatile that way and you'd get a decent range. If I were you I'd youtube it first, look up some soundclips so you can make sure thats the sound you're looking for and of course play before you buy. But from where I stand that should work out really well for you.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
my MIM strat did require a little work to get it really nice, but its a solid monster. as suggested, either get an HSS setup, or put in some rails or a JB jr. somewhere on an SSS. as with any low budget guitars, u gotta play a few to find a really good one, but iv managed to get zero fret buzz and almost perfectly intonation without any problems on mine. it cannot be beat for the money, especially if u go used.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i have a mim hss strat and i really love it. now that ive been playing for a little while i have been able to determine that i do in fact like teles better tho. of course they still have that great single coil sound like strats, but i feel they sound better overdriven than the strat does. mainly, i enjoy the simplicity of teles (2 pickups, no trem, etc). An american tele is definitely at the top of my GAS list (well that and an es-335 )

anyways, just play a few of each model and make a decision based on your ears. both mim strats and teles play great and sound great imo so you cant really go wrong.

EDIT: one more thing. i do feel that budget level fenders (i.e. mim) sound, play, and generally feel much better than epiphone lp's, the prs se line, and most other guitars in the price range. with a good setup done they will not let you down.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Last edited by bigreno at Aug 22, 2009,
thanks a lot. great advice guys.

I'll definitely look into the HSS strat but my heart craves a tele. ill probably end up getting the tele. I love the distinctive twang.

I Play the Bagpipes.

i would get the les paul, unless u really want the single coil
the les paul can do ANYTHING
u could get a 3 pickup tele and put a single sized bucker in the middle or something.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Personally, a HSS Strat. I despise tele's, they're hideous.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
i've got a strat and a tele, go for the strat. the tele is OK but a bit limited in tonal range compared to the strat.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I'd say the strat, it's a lot more versatile, not that Teles aren't awesome guitars, but 3 single coils (or HSS whichever you go for) is much more versatile than 2 single coils.
Though still the Tele isn't completely unversatile, they can do much more than most people give them credit for.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is there is no wrong choice
Though Strats have a bit of a slimmer neck than teles if you prefer it thin (if you prefer it a bit more chunky then the tele).

Also MIM quality is usually fine, but try the guitar before you buy it so you know it's good quality.